University takes action to control stray dogs

snoop1130

University takes action to control stray dogs

By The Nation

bad8e6616088a53f94472267915b5578.jpeg

File photo

The growing stray dog population in the grounds of Phayao University prompted the college to hold a meeting with local government agencies on Friday to find ways to deal with them.

Prof Dr Pranee Yusiri, the university’s deputy rector, sought help from the Phayao Livestock Office and the hospital in Tambon Mae Ka Huay Khan, where the university is located, to brainstorm solutions.

She said the university estimated there were 150 stray dogs in the compound that were causing concern in the university community as students, staff and lectures feared being bitten and falling ill with rabies.

The meeting resolved to vaccinate and sterilise the dogs, and to relocate some of them to dog shelters.

The university will also build a shelter to raise the rest of the dogs and will encourage dog lovers to adopt them or support them by donating dog food, she added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30340582

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-3-9
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Thian said:

So they only take action to protect themselves...soooo thai.

I hoped to read the solution to get rid of them ALL OVER THAILAND but nope, these scientists only care for themselves.

i would pay money to sit in on a seminar and poll the thais afterward on foresight,planning,anticipation; i bet planning might get a little traction , but when we introduce pre-emption, then all falls apart; the first mentioned 3 are thinking, the latter requires action;

end game not happening

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

The meeting resolved to vaccinate and sterilise the dogs, and to relocate some of them to dog shelters.

Very Thai indeed........Not trying to solve the problem...but transfer responsibility somewhere else.....

• Thanks 1

The university is at least taking an educated approach to the problem.  Sterilization looking to be a more humane and effective answer.  My dogs always were able to tunnel under or jump over fences.  The first thing I did was get them sterilized. 

• Like 1

In Saudi, Jeddah, back in the early 80's a very well known pest control company was ordered / paid by the government to round up stray dogs ( not that there were many in the city ), and put them to sleep.

The company was supposed to blow dart them to make them unconscious then euthanaze them.

They didn't have the heart - so....

The euthanazed them, put them in a truck, drove them 70km north of Jeddah and dumped them near a farm I was working on.    

The Farm was all desert with sand, black stones, hills and the red sea 6km away.

Once released the dogs dug themselves homes in the areas of hardened sand, totally destroyed the local well balanced wildlife, which left only snakes and scorpions.

There are alternatives but the love any animal requires is sadly lacking.