Should Thailand get rid of all existing Visas types?

jackdd

On 3/11/2018 at 9:27 AM, ezzra said:

Fat chance, Thailand is not yet ready to move into the 21st century, as far as visa and other

everyday life concerns, Thailand is happy and warm cozening up to bureaucracy by employing

a million strong government's pencil pushers and the practice of classes, hierarchy and lots of

good old graft and corruptions...

Evaluating your comment ... as you so eloquently said:

On 3/9/2018 at 5:21 AM, ezzra said:

but who are we kidding? bigotry and hypocrisy is still alive and kicking....

Edited by Suradit69

16 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Wrong. The income requirement for retirement status is actually zero baht when using the 800k in the bank method which many do.

Sure, some foreigners live here with 10k THB a month and take their own cup to the Big C food court to get free ice. But this was probably never the intention.

12*65k = about 800k, so the initial thought of this law was probably that you need to have the money that you need for the one year that your extension lasts on your bank account.

Edited by jackdd

Sure, some foreigners live here with 10k THB a month and take their own cup to the Big C food court to get free ice. But this was probably never the intention.
12*65k = about 800k, so the initial thought of this law was probably that you need to have the money that you need for the one year that your extension lasts on your bank account.
You're being silly now. Let's break it down - -
Income requirement 0
Money import requirement 0
Spending requirement 0
Time in Thailand during one year extension period - - only that you must be here to make your annual application. Otherwise zero.

You're assumption that most people on the bank method spend 10k a month is absurd. They spend what they need and want just like any other long stayers. From low to high.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You're being silly now. Let's break it down - -
Income requirement 0
Money import requirement 0
Spending requirement 0
Time in Thailand during one year extension period - - only that you must be here to make your annual application. Otherwise zero.

You're assumption that most people on the bank method spend 10k a month is absurd. They spend what they need and want just like any other long stayers. From low to high.

I said some, and of course i'm aware that 99% of the retirees spend more than that per month ;)

Let's think about what their thoughts were when implementing the retirement visa:

Somebody came up with the idea to give people who want to retire in Thailand a visa option for a long term stay

Then they were thinking about the requirements for this, and came up with the the minimum income of 65k THB, which they thought is a reasonable amount of income somebody should have when he retires here.

After they decided this they were thinking about people who have savings on the bank account, but don't have an active income.

So they made the calculation, that the visa / extension is for a duration of one year, and 65k per month means 800k for this one year, so this was made the minimum requirement.

This does now allow persons who have much less than 65k per month available and savings of just 800k to stay long term in Thailand, but i'm quite sure, back then it was never their intention, their initial thought was that a retiree should have 65k per month.

And actually 65k per month is not unreasonable as retiree. I know many people think it's not necessary, and when it is they start begging for help. But what's the cost for a reasonable health insurance if you are 60+? Not less than 20k THB per month. So you have 45k left. 10k to rent a place and 35k for your living expenses, so about 1k THB per day. That's not too much, especially if you have to finance your GF or Wife as well, and don't forget about her family.

37 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I said some, and of course i'm aware that 99% of the retirees spend more than that per month ;)

Let's think about what their thoughts were when implementing the retirement visa:

Somebody came up with the idea to give people who want to retire in Thailand a visa option for a long term stay

Then they were thinking about the requirements for this, and came up with the the minimum income of 65k THB, which they thought is a reasonable amount of income somebody should have when he retires here.

After they decided this they were thinking about people who have savings on the bank account, but don't have an active income.

So they made the calculation, that the visa / extension is for a duration of one year, and 65k per month means 800k for this one year, so this was made the minimum requirement.

This does now allow persons who have much less than 65k per month available and savings of just 800k to stay long term in Thailand, but i'm quite sure, back then it was never their intention, their initial thought was that a retiree should have 65k per month.

And actually 65k per month is not unreasonable as retiree. I know many people think it's not necessary, and when it is they start begging for help. But what's the cost for a reasonable health insurance if you are 60+? Not less than 20k THB per month. So you have 45k left. 10k to rent a place and 35k for your living expenses, so about 1k THB per day. That's not too much, especially if you have to finance your GF or Wife as well, and don't forget about her family.

I think Thai Visa charging you 1000 baht per word would be a better idea.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

You have no idea if "Most people in Thailand are not really happy about the different Visas".

You have no idea what "99% of retirees" spend.

What you do have is a scheme to provide a "solution" that suits your individual income and prejudice.

A prejudice which is frequently expressed in these pages:

Those with less spending power than you are contemptible, those with more are the objects of envy, but you (and others like you at a similar economic level with similar requirements) are "just right".

You should change your TVF name to "Goldilocks".

Edited by Enoon
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

35k for living expenses, until they take away the crazy 15k per month you are suggesting.

You posit that they originally started with the idea of requiring 65k per month of income, then came up with the annual 800k deposit based on that. In reality, they could have started with the 800k deposit, then computed the monthly income based on that. My assumption is that either number is based on the idea that Thailand wanted to have retirees capable of taking care of themselves and contributing to the overall economy of Thailand. Just as the work permit requiring 4 Thai employees is trying to ensure more jobs for Thai citizens.

The real issue I have with your suggestion is the idea that anyone thinks giving this government any more money than is absolutely necessary is intelligent. Better that those baht go to the local vendors I do business with.

• Like 1

Actually when I get my proof of income affidavit from the embassy I never have to show any bank statements or proof that I'm receiving monthly pension payments.  I always bring proof with me showing that I receive my monthly pension payments but no one ever asks to see it.  So I never know what people are talking about whenever I read that, I'm guessing people going by their account balance instead of monthly income on retirement visas.  Even if you do you shouldn't have to show it, I've never had to show bank statements.  I'm guessing it's probably non US Citizens who's embassy's does business differently.  

As Thailand moves forward to achieve Thailand 0.4 there is room for change, but hardly to a system that no other country has tried, and not one invented by the people it is trying to squeeze.

On 11/03/2018 at 10:20 AM, jackdd said:

The minimum income is something like 50k or 60k if you are from a western country or work, or 65k if you are retired, so a "decent" salary would be higher than that, 15k per month is a wedge, but not sooo much if somebody has let's say 80k per month.

And Thailand could of course throw in some goodies together with the visa, which could solve other problems, something like: Every foreigner gets free emergency medical treatment at government hospitals. If you stay longer than 6 months you can go to see a doctor who checks for preexisting conditions, which are excluded, and then you also get free regular medical treatment at government hospitals.

The 500THB was just a number i came up with which seemed reasonable to me. For me the 500THB per day would be ok, i can't really say if i would prefer the current system or the 500THB per day system, which is maybe also a reason why i chose the 500. If it were 1000 THB i would clearly prefer the current system, if it were 200THB i would clearly prefer the pay by day system.

The idea of giving everyone full access to the infrastructure and in exchange make them pay for this infrastructure is not new. It's called taxation. No reason to collect these taxes in advance from those who have a permanent income, though.

On 3/11/2018 at 9:27 AM, ezzra said:

Fat chance, Thailand is not yet ready to move into the 21st century, as far as visa and other

everyday life concerns, Thailand is happy and warm cozening up to bureaucracy by employing

a million strong government's pencil pushers and the practice of classes, hierarchy and lots of

good old graft and corruptions...

Dont forget the Millions of Baht they collect monthly, this in my opinion is really what this whole Visa BS is all about.

On 3/11/2018 at 9:20 AM, jackdd said:

The married and retired people complain about the requirements, like showing bank statements. And even the people who work here also often have some troubles with Visas and Immigration.

From Thailands perspective the country has several requirements for people to stay here, for example Tourists should be quality Tourists who spend as much money as possible. Retired people need to have a pension of a certain amount, so that they can spend enough money, same for married people. And people who work here need to have a minimum salary.

No requirement to show money to get a married O VISA, only need to show money for marriage extension.

AS for your PAYG idea, I'd just move ....... 3 months Malaysia, 3 years Philippines, etc.

Thailand ain't all that great, and I wouldn't be all that bothered dumping my wife and kids.

Only inertia keeps me here.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

On 2018-03-12 at 8:28 PM, Jingthing said:

Wrong. The income requirement for retirement status is actually zero baht when using the 800k in the bank method which many do.

Next ...

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I know it is. I mean instead of the 800k requirement people just pay the tax on the 65k which is about 120 baht per day.

It's always amusing when people complain about that the Visa situation in Thailand is so terrible when it's way more difficult and costly to get a long term visa to EU countries.

8 hours ago, zib said:

It's always amusing when people complain about that the Visa situation in Thailand is so terrible when it's way more difficult and costly to get a long term visa to EU countries.

Except the marriage visa path is in most countries easier and after marriage you will have more rights and will be easier than in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Once you get it, though, you seldom have to prove yourself every year or report your whereabouts every 90 days.

On 3/10/2018 at 9:20 PM, jackdd said:

The minimum income is something like 50k or 60k if you are from a western country or work, or 65k if you are retired, so a "decent" salary would be higher than that, 15k per month is a wedge, but not sooo much if somebody has let's say 80k per month.

And Thailand could of course throw in some goodies together with the visa, which could solve other problems, something like: Every foreigner gets free emergency medical treatment at government hospitals. If you stay longer than 6 months you can go to see a doctor who checks for preexisting conditions, which are excluded, and then you also get free regular medical treatment at government hospitals.

The 500THB was just a number i came up with which seemed reasonable to me. For me the 500THB per day would be ok, i can't really say if i would prefer the current system or the 500THB per day system, which is maybe also a reason why i chose the 500. If it were 1000 THB i would clearly prefer the current system, if it were 200THB i would clearly prefer the pay by day system.

Can't you pay 15K per month to an agent (may be less) now to take care all the hassles of obtaining all legal documents for legally staying in the country. I for one, will nit pay 500 baht a day to stay here. No countryI know of has system like this.

Actually, I am more and more of the opinion that the Thai visa offer is rather sensible. The problems stem in the inconsistencies between IO offices and fluctuating admin requirements. Both of which being aggravated by the system abusers, resulting in some visas (Exempts, tourists, ED and marriage) getting more difficult to get.