Should Thailand get rid of all existing Visas types?

jackdd

This topic here is just about an idea that i had

(If this here is the wrong forum to post it please move it, i was not sure where to post it)

Most people in Thailand are not really happy about the different Visas. The under 50s and not married people who don't work here don't have a Visa to stay long term except Thai Elite. The married and retired people complain about the requirements, like showing bank statements. And even the people who work here also often have some troubles with Visas and Immigration.

From Thailands perspective the country has several requirements for people to stay here, for example Tourists should be quality Tourists who spend as much money as possible. Retired people need to have a pension of a certain amount, so that they can spend enough money, same for married people. And people who work here need to have a minimum salary.

My idea is, Thailand removes all existing types of Visas and introduces just one new type of Visa:

Somebody who enters the country has to pay for every day that he stays. There is no minimum or maximum number of days, you pay in advance. Your stay can be extended with the same conditions at any Immigration office. If you have a work permit you may work.

The cost per day should be something like 500THB. If you present a marriage certificate you pay only 50%, because you have to take care of your family as well

500THB per day would mean 15k THB per month. If somebody who retires here or works here can pay 15k THB per month for his stay he obviously has enough money, or earns enough money to stay here, so no need to check any bank statements or set a minimum salary.

They could make slight adjustments to this system, for example the amount you have to pay depends on the country of your passport, or if you arrive by air you get free 7 days or something like that, but nothing too complicated.

Of course this will never be reality, but what would you think about this visa system?

Edited by jackdd
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

Fat chance, Thailand is not yet ready to move into the 21st century, as far as visa and other

everyday life concerns, Thailand is happy and warm cozening up to bureaucracy by employing

a million strong government's pencil pushers and the practice of classes, hierarchy and lots of

good old graft and corruptions...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Crossy said:

As to the idea of pay-per-day?

I ask our OP, would HE be willing to pay approximately 100 times the current cost of an extension of stay for the reduction in hassle (to be honest it's not that much hassle) getting his annual stuff in order?

USD 500 per month is a significant wedge even for those on a decent salary.

The minimum income is something like 50k or 60k if you are from a western country or work, or 65k if you are retired, so a "decent" salary would be higher than that, 15k per month is a wedge, but not sooo much if somebody has let's say 80k per month.

And Thailand could of course throw in some goodies together with the visa, which could solve other problems, something like: Every foreigner gets free emergency medical treatment at government hospitals. If you stay longer than 6 months you can go to see a doctor who checks for preexisting conditions, which are excluded, and then you also get free regular medical treatment at government hospitals.

The 500THB was just a number i came up with which seemed reasonable to me. For me the 500THB per day would be ok, i can't really say if i would prefer the current system or the 500THB per day system, which is maybe also a reason why i chose the 500. If it were 1000 THB i would clearly prefer the current system, if it were 200THB i would clearly prefer the pay by day system.

Edited by jackdd
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, HampiK said:

this already exists.

5 years x 365 days x 500 baht = 912'500

Mean you choose the Elite visa easier and cheaper, except you can't work on this.

The biggest problem with Thai Elite is that you have to pay minimum 5 years ahead

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The biggest problem with Thai Elite is that you have to pay minimum 5 years ahead

But the Elite visa 5 years ahead you be almost 50% cheaper than this example!

• Like 1

On 11/03/2018 at 10:20 AM, jackdd said:

The minimum income is something like 50k or 60k if you are from a western country or work, or 65k if you are retired, so a "decent" salary would be higher than that, 15k per month is a wedge, but not sooo much if somebody has let's say 80k per month.

And Thailand could of course throw in some goodies together with the visa, which could solve other problems, something like: Every foreigner gets free emergency medical treatment at government hospitals. If you stay longer than 6 months you can go to see a doctor who checks for preexisting conditions, which are excluded, and then you also get free regular medical treatment at government hospitals.

The 500THB was just a number i came up with which seemed reasonable to me. For me the 500THB per day would be ok, i can't really say if i would prefer the current system or the 500THB per day system, which is maybe also a reason why i chose the 500. If it were 1000 THB i would clearly prefer the current system, if it were 200THB i would clearly prefer the pay by day system.

Average Thai salary 167,652 baht a year.

Minimum wage 300 x 365 days. 109,500 baht a year.

Your crazy method of 500 baht a day 182,500 baht a year.

Renewal of retirement visa 1900 a year. (i understand 800,00 in a bank, but its not a cost)

It's a no brainer.

"They could make slight adjustments to this system",

Slight adjustments?? They need to make many adjustments ,one of which is to stop the 90 day reporting, which is treating people like criminals, is one year not enough? and sending people on unnecessary border hops.

They could stop hounding tourist because they think that most of them are here to work, and start hounding these people who employ illegals, and people who work without work permits.

I could go on, but that will do for now.

• Like 1

On 11/03/2018 at 12:48 PM, jackdd said:

and they ask for far too much and give back nothing in return, and all the time those on the Elite visa keep on contributing to the Thai economy, and also do this ridiculous 90 day reporting.

• Like 1

It would be cheaper for me to get my Thai wife her permanent residents visa and go and live back in Australia and not even come to Thailand for holidays because it has become too expensive. It would want 1st world country money for 3rd world country living.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, baansgr said:

Considering its only 1,900 per annum with existing requiremnts.... THB 500 per day....no thanks

500 ฿ per day would be like paying half my teaching salary a month just so I could help them learn English.  That's a ridiculous idea.  It would also kill a lot of marriages, as well.  

Nothing wrong with visas, they just need to be upgraded, simplified, and be consistent throughout the country. 

Most of the existing visas would be fine if just easier to deal with, like work and education visas.  The retirement visa could use a drop in the financial requirement, and there should be a true 'marriage' visa that includes the right to work and access to the medical benefits simular to wife and children.  All visas should be good for 1 year, except the marriage visa, meaning no reporting every 90 days.  

Tourist visas are fine as they are.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 12:30 PM, Crossy said:

Since this is a less-than-serious discussion I'm moving it to The Pub, let's leave the visas forum for those wanting critical information.

As to the idea of pay-per-day?

I ask our OP, would HE be willing to pay approximately 100 times the current cost of an extension of stay for the reduction in hassle (to be honest it's not that much hassle) getting his annual stuff in order?

USD 500 per month is a significant wedge even for those on a decent salary.

Yep,  a daily fee for farang visas would only achieve two things;  further corruption and less visa applicants. 

Just let everyone pay tax on like a minimum 65k/month. (Which i think is the min for retirement). That's like 120 baht per day and would include the 30 baht goverment healthcare card. Or a wopping low 24 baht per day if you are married. Then no other paperwork required :) Wouldn't mind that if I were retired if it included medical care. 

This would lead to more taxes being collected. Less corruption from immigration and other officials. No faking by borrowing money for the extension or faking of retirement statements to show income. Plus the requirement of everyone having health insurance would be met. What's the downside?

Edited by zib
Add

Nothing will change anytime soon as too much money is gained with the current set up (both legally and illegally) one of the most successful industries in LOS, employing thousands of Thais who make money at every which way and turn.

As for putting tourists, expats or whoever farangs out, do you think Thailand is bothered about what suits you or making things easy? 555

The Op is completely NUTS!!!!!!  I have just made my calculations.  I pay an agent to get my 60 day visa.  That costs 90 euros.  Which is approx. 3,492 baht.  Add the 1900 baht for the 30 days, that makes 5,392 baht.  One hundred and eighty baht (180 ) baht per day.

• Like 1

Just let everyone pay tax on like a minimum 65k/month. (Which i think is the min for retirement). That's like 120 baht per day and would include the 30 baht goverment healthcare card. Or a wopping low 24 baht per day if you are married. Then no other paperwork required :) Wouldn't mind that if I were retired if it included medical care. 

This would lead to more taxes being collected. Less corruption from immigration and other officials. No faking by borrowing money for the extension or faking of retirement statements to show income. Plus the requirement of everyone having health insurance would be met. What's the downside?
Wrong. The income requirement for retirement status is actually zero baht when using the 800k in the bank method which many do.

Next ...

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app