Thai driver's license?

Am trying to get a Thai driver's license and will need to take the "practical driving test."  Does anyone know how difficult it is to get a "PASS" on this test?  I haven't driven a car in over a year, and I've never driven a car with the steering wheel on the right side of the vehicle.  I watched some YouTube videos of the test and it's "so many cm here, and so many cm there" kind of thing.  Looks really nitpicky.  Also, I don't have my own car, so not sure how that is going to work?  My sister-in-law has a big Izuzu pick up truck, but I think that would make the test even more difficult. The one video I watched says you only get one attempt at the test course, and if you fail any of the 3 parts, you have to come back another day.  I live 30 miles from the test facility, so that may be difficult to do.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any replies.

DH

Think the only prob maybe the written test, well my chum said he didn't understand some questions because of the "English"..

If you are used to an auto I would hire an auto for a couple of days..

Mrs.Trans and her daughter took their test on the same day in my auto Vigo truck, they both passed even though the girl had never driven my truck..:stoner:

32 minutes ago, transam said:

Think the only prob maybe the written test, well my chum said he didn't understand some questions because of the "English"..

If you are used to an auto I would hire an auto for a couple of days..

Mrs.Trans and her daughter took their test on the same day in my auto Vigo truck, they both passed even though the girl had never driven my truck..:stoner:

Thanks for your kind reply.

When you say "auto" do you mean automatic transmission?  And how big is your truck?  Full size pick-up or a smaller more compact version?  Not sure what a "Vigo" truck model is.  

Also, did they do the electronic "E - Driving Test" where they stop at stations and wave a card at the screen to commence each of the individual tests?

Thanks again, for your helpful reply.  There is no where to rent a car where I am currently living.

DH

They took their test a few years back when it was just the "car park" thing and stuff in the office which l don't know what the did. Vigo is a full size pickup, mine has automatic gearbox which is an absolute doddle to drive..

When I watched folk with their pickups with a manual trans they were getting in a real state. I taught Mrs.Trans to use both feet, one for stop and one for go, at the test it paid off...

If you know how to drive l cannot see that you will have a ploblem...:smile:

• Like 1

I can't drive auto with both feet
keep stamping in the brake thinking its the clutch peddle !
So right foot only works for me

davhend25 it would be advisable to try to borrow a friend or neighbors car/truck and get used to driving on the "wrong side" before attempting the practical test...also might help to take that vehicle to the test center....but there will be someone willing to "lend you" theirs on the day.

Check at the local DLT as there are usually people that hire cars out to do the test in, a couple of hundred baht an hour. Also check for local schools were you can do the tests at the school and you get a certificate to take to DLT.

My wife did her license the other day and did the tests etc at a driving school, they are authorised to do the tests (driving and written), supply a car and have a test area etc. They give you a pass document and the rest is done at DLT.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Check at the local DLT as there are usually people that hire cars out to do the test in, a couple of hundred baht an hour. Also check for local schools were you can do the tests at the school and you get a certificate to take to DLT.

My wife did her license the other day and did the tests etc at a driving school, they are authorised to do the tests (driving and written), supply a car and have a test area etc. They give you a pass document and the rest is done at DLT.

Thanks for the good advice!  Do you know if there is a list somewhere online with the approved driving schools? Thanks!!   

DH

2 hours ago, transam said:

They took their test a few years back when it was just the "car park" thing and stuff in the office which l don't know what the did. Vigo is a full size pickup, mine has automatic gearbox which is an absolute doddle to drive..

When I watched folk with their pickups with a manual trans they were getting in a real state. I taught Mrs.Trans to use both feet, one for stop and one for go, at the test it paid off...

If you know how to drive l cannot see that you will have a ploblem...:smile:

Yes, I definitely want to do the test with an automatic...I'll have enough on my mind just doing the test without having to worry about clutch and shifting.

Thanks for the helpful reply..

DH

2 hours ago, davhend25 said:

Thanks for the good advice!  Do you know if there is a list somewhere online with the approved driving schools? Thanks!!   

DH

I just had my Thai wife (marriage not registered yet) call an approved LTO driving school in Chanthaburi City, K&W Driving School, and they told her that I had to have a registered Thai marriage and a work permit to attend their school. And, as usual, they don't speak a word of English. I see my home country getting closer and closer....

You mentioned that you haven't driven a car in over a year. Does this mean that you have a driving licence from another country? if so, which one?

If you have a licence from another country, where the licence text is in English you may be able to simply obtain a Temporary Thai Licence (2 years validity) but just taking a couple of simple tests (colour blindness, proximity, reaction tests) and watch a video. 

Otherwise, if you have to take the full test the written part is a little tricky as the questions asked seem silly... (there is a weblink somewhere on this forum to these questions). 

With regards to taking lessons: I suspect the facility which suggests you needed to be officially married etc is just making rubbish up. It's probable that they don't know what to do with a foreigner and thus pass off any rubbish in the hope that your wife will fob you off on their behalf. 

Best option IMO: Take the truck out on a quiet road for some practice.... and then go and take the full test - the practical will be simple. Practice the written part (multiple choice questions) before you go. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, davhend25 said:

I just had my Thai wife (marriage not registered yet) call an approved LTO driving school in Chanthaburi City, K&W Driving School, and they told her that I had to have a registered Thai marriage and a work permit to attend their school. And, as usual, they don't speak a word of English. I see my home country getting closer and closer....

That has to be a lost in translation thing as marriage has nothing to do with attending a school or getting a license. I can understand the school mentioning a WP as you require either a WP or resident certificate as proof of address for DLT. 

I can understand if its an area with not many westerners, the school may be unfamiliar with documents required for a westerner but the marriage thing makes no sense at all.

I would visit a couple of schools and ask, they are usually located close to the DLT.

They should still be able to do the testing side of things then send you to the DLT.

Its possible the school isn't set up to do English version of the written test etc, so makes up rubbish about marriage. The school next door probably fine.

Edited by Peterw42

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

You mentioned that you haven't driven a car in over a year. Does this mean that you have a driving licence from another country? if so, which one?

If you have a licence from another country, where the licence text is in English you may be able to simply obtain a Temporary Thai Licence (2 years validity) but just taking a couple of simple tests (colour blindness, proximity, reaction tests) and watch a video. 

Otherwise, if you have to take the full test the written part is a little tricky as the questions asked seem silly... (there is a weblink somewhere on this forum to these questions). 

With regards to taking lessons: I suspect the facility which suggests you needed to be officially married etc is just making rubbish up. It's probable that they don't know what to do with a foreigner and thus pass off any rubbish in the hope that your wife will fob you off on their behalf. 

Best option IMO: Take the truck out on a quiet road for some practice.... and then go and take the full test - the practical will be simple. Practice the written part (multiple choice questions) before you go. 

Yes, I "had" a valid U.S. driver's license (valid until 2021) from the state of Florida, but the evening before my embassy appointment to get my affidavit of residence (the only doc that the DLT in Chanthaburi would accept) I lost my entire wallet to a pickpocket on the BTS sky train at the "Siam" stop. I lost my current DL, credit cards, debit card, Health insurance card, and 10,000 baht in cash. I'm about to the end of my rope with country. I should have had this Thai license 3 weeks ago w/o taking the practical and theory tests, but my DLT would not accept a certificate of residence from the "Chanthaburi" immigration office where I had just complete my third "90-Day" report based on my wife's Tabien Baan book of 10 years.

Thanks for your kind suggestions. My concern over the practical driving test stems from my watching several youtube videos where people are being failed for really minor things like being a few centimeters over a line here or there and things like that. It look difficult to pass.  So, I'm worried about the driving test, especially with a larger truck. 

Thanks again, for your kind suggestions. I really appreciate them.

DH

3 minutes ago, davhend25 said:

Yes, I "had" a valid U.S. driver's license (valid until 2021) from the state of Florida, but the evening before my embassy appointment to get my affidavit of residence (the only doc that the DLT in Chanthaburi would accept) I lost my entire wallet to a pickpocket on the BTS sky train at the "Siam" stop. I lost my current DL, credit cards, debit card, Health insurance card, and 10,000 baht in cash. I'm about to the end of my rope with country. I should have had this Thai license 3 weeks ago w/o taking the practical and theory tests, but my DLT would not accept a certificate of residence from the "Chanthaburi" immigration office where I had just complete my third "90-Day" report based on my wife's Tabien Baan book of 10 years.

Thanks for your kind suggestions. My concern over the practical driving test stems from my watching several youtube videos where people are being failed for really minor things like being a few centimeters over a line here or there and things like that. It look difficult to pass.  So, I'm worried about the driving test, especially with a larger truck. 

Thanks again, for your kind suggestions. I really appreciate them.

DH

Can you apply online for a replacement Florida State Licence?... perhaps then have someone post it over here to you from a US address?

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

That has to be a lost in translation thing as marriage has nothing to do with attending a school or getting a license. I can understand the school mentioning a WP as you require either a WP or resident certificate as proof of address for DLT. 

I can understand if its an area with not many westerners, the school may be unfamiliar with documents required for a westerner but the marriage thing makes no sense at all.

I would visit a couple of schools and ask, they are usually located close to the DLT.

They should still be able to do the testing side of things then send you to the DLT.

Its possible the school isn't set up to do English version of the written test etc, so makes up rubbish about marriage. The school next door probably fine.

You're probably right about the "lost in translation" part. My wife spoke to them in Thai, but her English is only passable.  They were suggested by a Thai friend here where we live because they are located close to the DLT office in Chanthaburi and they issue the license at the school. Their website is completely in Thai with no translation option, and I think you are right about there not being many westerners in that area. My experience has been that the further away you get from Bangkok, the worse the "no English" problem gets and  Chanthaburi is almost to Cambodia.

Thanks a lot for the kind reply to my dilemma.

DH

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Can you apply online for a replacement Florida State Licence?... perhaps then have someone post it over here to you from a US address?

I can, but there are two problems. First, without me coming to a FL DMV office in person, they can only send out a "Temporary Permit" with no picture. I doubt the DLT office would accept that. Second, It would take close to 3 weeks or more to get it and my embassy residence doc and medical are only good for 30 days. So I don't think that would be a viable option, but thanks for bringing it up. It was one of the first things I looked into when we got home a few days ago. At this point, the practical driving test and theory test seem to be the easiest way to go. 

Thanks again, for some great ideas!

DH

The driving test should not be a problem.  Sometimes a small car with good rear visability can help as you have to actually back up into a fairly tight for a vigo soi of flags without touching any then drive out. Also do a couple of standard reverse parking manouvers, remember the oposite side to the US.

1 hour ago, harrry said:

The driving test should not be a problem.  Sometimes a small car with good rear visability can help as you have to actually back up into a fairly tight for a vigo soi of flags without touching any then drive out. Also do a couple of standard reverse parking manouvers, remember the oposite side to the US.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.  Yes, I agree, a small car would be best and give a larger margin of error for the type of maneuvers they test you on.  Thanks again, for your kind post.

DH