10 Reasons you left your homeland to live in Thailand

4MyEgo

1 minute ago, Kimber said:

I'm 65 and my first Thai girl experience was at 24 years old. 

Stupidly I married Australian women on 2 occasions, predictably both turned out nightmare experiences. 

For the last few years it's only been Thai girls,  and that's all it will be until my final days.

No more marriage in my life, I prefer the disposable "relationship" mode and easily replaced option of Thai women.   

3 holiday trips every year, sometimes GFE, other times Pattaya P4P playtime;  I love being a farang bloke with options 555 

Exactly-it gives us options.

Who wants  to sit in an RSL club playing the pokies or keno for the rest of our miserably pre-determined lives..

Options are the thing.

Up to you to choose.

Of course that is easy for me to say because I am a one armed,one legged man with a parrot on my shoulder!

But my pension is good..:smile:

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

I had an horrific motorcycle accident @ 36 in Oz. Coma for 2 weeks, brain injury ward for 3 months followed by years of rehab. 

My family live around 150km’s away from where I live in Melbourne CBD. I lost 2 lifelong friends tragically, 1 to cancer, 1 in a tragic accident. 

I was an A Grade construction sparky on great money and perks and work was my life. Saturdays & Sundays were just another day of the week for me. 

I also worked the doors of bars & clubs for 17 years.

Since my accident I lost my first love, my job. I lost my second love & sanctuary of hours spent in the gym. I then lost my third love, my filo fiancée of 7 years. 

I have been in & out of Thailand 6-8 times a year since becoming mobile again so it actually works out cheaper to rent a condo and move full time. 

The cost of living plays a huge part. I can get by on 250thb a day for food most days, water & electric is lower than back home and I can head out for a beer and a good old chin wag for under 500thb for quite a few hours of entertainment.

Although I don’t indulge too regularly the availablity of a slim, warm body without having to go trough the mating dance of dinner, movies and riveting conversation is a deciding factor. 

I love the thai lifestyle, food, demeanour, happiness etc. many people seem to have a very different view of the ‘Thai smile’ of recent times but I’ve never experienced any real issue myself. 

Australia is ruled by minorities, snow flakes and corrupt hierarchy these days. Immigrant crime is escalating on a large scale. The roads and traffic are awful and the cost of living is far outstripping the rate of inflation. 

I could easily survive on my dividends & cash reserves in Australia but for me the fun & excitement has been sucked out of everyday life and replaced by mortgage stress, job losses, bad attitudes & entitlement. 

My body needs warm weather to function now, my head needs time to repair. So at 40 I’ve rented a nice condo, sold my worldly possessions and starting my second chance and second half of my life somewhere I wake up everyday with a smile.

Does your gear still function?

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, HLover said:

1. Homeland full of miserable tossers

2. Bad weather.

3. Political correctness.

4. Immigrant sodomization (received)

5. Fat birds

6. Miserable birds

7 expensive pints

8. Racist police

9. Corrupt out of touch government/leadership.

10. Mormons

Ok, you win.  I am easy.

In no 10 you could have omitted the second m to make a no 11.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, HLover said:

1. Homeland full of miserable tossers

2. Bad weather.

3. Political correctness.

4. Immigrant sodomization (received)

5. Fat birds

6. Miserable birds

7 expensive pints

8. Racist police

9. Corrupt out of touch government/leadership.

10. Mormons

Ok, you win.  I am easy.

Yet you said zero positivity about Thailand and just crapped on a whole lot of negativity. So glad you left your baggage behind.

18 minutes ago, Kimber said:

Ditto,  no debt, reasonably good health, TPI pension and OAP tax free and free medical and dental, (lose Med & Dent if I live overseas). 

Thailand is just so damn convenient for blokes like us. 

Kimber,

It is not only convenient but it is a place where you toss the dice.

No use complaining when you get ones or twos..

"Let the dice fly high!.."

You don't get that in the normal RSL club,do  you?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

Yet you said zero positivity about Thailand and just crapped on a whole lot of negativity. So glad you left your baggage behind.

Yes, no baggage. Left her at home while I was speeding away in a cab with a business class ticket to a better place.

11 minutes ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

2. Prove it.

It took two years of diligent research before I was sure, and since then the application of a daily massage routine has kept them in perfect form.

Thinking about - the daily massage routine can be number 3.

• Like 1

From the uk .

Lived in South America for 20 years, my marriage broke down and hit retirement age (55).
Headed back to the uk for a “ quiet life “ !
Realised quite quickly that was a mistake !
The world was my oyster !!
Having worked in Thailand 6 months before retirement and met a girl who could be “ the one “I decided to revisit and see if the spark was still there !! ( and it was ! ).
Gave myself a 1 year deadline to decide if Thailand was for me and decided it was, settled here permanently now and living the dream !!

Soooo ! reasons ?

I guess I could have gone to live anywhere but Thailand ticks all the boxes for me, love the weather, the food, the relaxed attitude, the women ( all of which are not available in uk ).

Visit the uk regularly for aged father but have no desire to relocate back to the uk ( but then again I did say that back in ‘94 ! )

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Yes, i prefer to be in a minority here than in my own country..

I don't know where your home country is-Iran?

Meanwhile we will all get back to a pleasant chat where (hopefully) we will all avoid the slings and arrows of the mentally tergifivasated.

23 minutes ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

I take it you never experienced sex before you came to Thailand.

A bit but not much .........

I had more sex here in my 53rd year, than I accumulated in the UK during my first 52 years.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kimber said:

For we Aussies LoS is at most only an 8 1/2 hour flight,  convenient and cheap to holiday any time of the year. 

I do have a regular Thai lady who's very compatible, speaks good English and has a good career in BKK, so the question always begs, why not relocate? 

Then I'm reminded of the corrupt cops, pollution, population density; noise; low farang status level (government wise) and currency exchange variable. 

Additionally I'm reminded of the personal attrition on farangs, when I see the too numerous morbidly obese bar fly Ex Pats.

In Australia I'm fortunate to live in the country, near great beaches, national parks; and easy going country town lifestyle. 

Good friends,  great Veteran benefits (lost if overseas) Medical and Dental; government guaranteed Banks; clean water and food;  efficient pollution control; and political stability. 

For me there's too much compromising and quality loss to live permanently in Thailand.  

If I was a Brit, European or American I'd probably think differently though.  

I will agree that it is only an 8.30/9 hour flight direct from Bangkok or Phuket, is convenient and cheap for a holiday, and add to that, to live.

Sydney where I am from originally would cost me at least double if not triple the amount for a similar holiday.

Corrupt cops, pollution, population density, noise can be found in most major cities around the world, the corruption is not so open in some places, but believe you me, its out there, as are obese people, be it at a bar or a pub.

Sure Australia has great beaches, national parks as does Thailand outside of Patong and Pattaya,, to add to that, it also has an easy going country town lifestyle if you venture out of Bangkok, where I would say you spend most of your time, judging by your post, and there is nothing wrong with that, but when comparing eggs with eggs, you cannot compare Thailand as if it is BKK.

You say in Australia you live in the country, but you don't say where you live in Thailand to be fair in giving us your comparison, or what parts of Thailand you have visited, to be able to make your judgement.

Good friends can be found here, and yes we do lose medical benefits here is we change our residency status, government guaranteed banks in Australia are not an issue as you can keep your accounts and operate them from here, clean water and food we have, efficient pollution control, yes you are correct, there is none, and there is no elected political government at the moment, but I do see stability since the onslaught, and the sooner they go the better for the country obviously.

I differ about the comprises and quality of loss living here in Thailand, the only thing different for me is the health care system, Australia has better hospitals and doctors, but I have to be fair, I have been under the knife here and apart from the hospital floors, walls, being a little unclean, everything went smoothly, however we are used to what we have grown up with, and pristine hospitals I am used to as well, regardless of golden staff and other hard to kill bacteria lingering.

But each to their own, and I for one am living here, earning what I was making back in the old country after tax previously, without paying tax and living a great life style through my investment back in the old country, suffice to say, Sydney is expensive and I wouldn't have the same lifestyle there as I do here, if I returned, so it is a lifestyle change that has attracted me, i.e. more bang for your buck and a stress free life as opposed to less for your buck and loads of stress.  

• Like 2

Good points of Thailand imo:

1. Thai people usually cheerful and easy going (upcountry)

2. Loving family, 2 daughters away from home still ring every evening. no sense of a generation gap.

3. Great weather except in March and April

4. Freedom to build our house the way we want. General sense of freedom from petty local laws-  never seen a policeman in the village in 30 years

5. Tasty food and some good music if you know where to find it

6. Enjoy getting up in the morning, dawn is great upcountry when the temperature is over 20 degrees.

7. Plenty of work available if you're an English teacher, especially if you can speak Thai.

8. Still some nice quiet beaches around the Sattaheep towards Rayong area if you know where to look.

9. Lots of areas still to explore

• Like 2