Let marriage extension get cancelled and apply for new visa in UK?

Im on a marriage extension for non imm O, instead of getting a re-entry permit when I go to the UK soon Im thinking of just letting it be cancelled when I exit the country and then apply for a new non imm O via post when Im in the UK and then do the extension based on marriage when I get back here on the new non imm O.

Are there any downsides to doing this?

What do I need to take with me to the UK to get the non imm O based on marriage?

Also, is this seen as 'restarting' my extension based on marriage? Ive done two years already and last time they said a home visit wouldn't be needed next time. We do have a baby now though too.

thanks

Only problem with that is if the rules are changed.  If they change while you hold a visa the amounts are usually grandfathered but this ends the minute you change to any other visa.

Edited by harrry

42 minutes ago, davejonesbkk said:

Are there any downsides to doing this?

No, unless your planning on applying for a Pesidence Permit (‘PR’).

44 minutes ago, davejonesbkk said:

Also, is this seen as 'restarting' my extension based on marriage? Ive done two years already and last time they said a home visit wouldn't be needed next time.

Your extensions end every year so you’re effectively making a new application every year.

If you apply at the same office it’s unlikely they’d want another home visit. They usually only make home visits for the first application from someone they don’t know.

40 minutes ago, harrry said:

Only problem with that is if the rules are changed.  If they change while you hold a visa the amounts are usually grandfathered but this ends the minute you change to any other visa.

Have the amounts required for a ‘marriage extension’ ever been “grandfathered”?

6 hours ago, harrry said:

Not sure about marriage, Retirement thoutgh since they were about 100000baht.

Three times I think. 

I have never heard of 'grandfathering' for marriage extensions, only retirement extensions.

I think that you know the downsides.  The inconvenience and uncertainty of getting a visa from London and the chance of starting as a new applicant with the uncertainty and inconvenience of that compared the convenience and certainty of a re-entry permit. 

I think that Immigration might wonder why you would do such a thing and whether the reason was that you couldn't afford a re-entry permit.  

Most people treat these visas as 'pay for play' and some I.Os. may, but I consider them to be contracts renewable annually and if your circumstances don't change there is no reason for either side to break the contract. The fact of "Grandfathered" clauses would seem to support my view. 

12 hours ago, elviajero said:

No, unless your planning on applying for a Pesidence Permit (‘PR’).

Your extensions end every year so you’re effectively making a new application every year.

If you apply at the same office it’s unlikely they’d want another home visit. They usually only make home visits for the first application from someone they don’t know.

OK thanks.

What documents do I need to apply for the non imm O in the UK? Marriage certificate and wife ID card right? Do I need that Kor ror 2 thing from the local amphur and if so does it need to be a recent one like when I do the marriage extension?

Edit: I think I need wifes family book too right? As we have a child now do I need documents for him too?

Do I need to supply any kind of financial details now or is that only later when I do the extension?

(Im only applying for a single entry btw)

Edited by davejonesbkk

12 hours ago, elviajero said:

Have the amounts required for a ‘marriage extension’ ever been “grandfathered”?

I was under the impression that they were changed and grandfathered some years ago - around the year 2000 or so.

Was it not the case that a marriage extension used to require 250K Baht in the bank back then? I know that when I applied in 2003 it had already gone up to the current 400K. I have asked around but up to now no one has been able to confirm the 250K requirement.

48 minutes ago, davejonesbkk said:

What documents do I need to apply for the non imm O in the UK?

Copies of marriage certificate, wife's house book registry and ID card.

Your passport plus a copy of the photo page.

No Kor Ror 2 is needed.

12 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

I was under the impression that they were changed and grandfathered some years ago - around the year 2000 or so.

Was it not the case that a marriage extension used to require 250K Baht in the bank back then? I know that when I applied in 2003 it had already gone up to the current 400K. I have asked around but up to now no one has been able to confirm the 250K requirement.

It increased from 250k to 400k baht in 2003. There was no grandfathering clause. There was an allowance for those on extensions already for a year to only need 250k baht.

After my income increased to more than 800.000 Baht/year I could switch to extension of Non Imm O based on marriage to retirement : in fact it was the officer in the Immigration Office who told me I could do so if the money was in the bank on time. I did not need to return to my home country.

On 12/03/2018 at 1:09 AM, davejonesbkk said:

What documents do I need to apply for the non imm O in the UK? Marriage certificate and wife ID card right?

You only need s copy of your marriage certificate and a copy of your wife’s Thai ID or Thai passport. You don’t need a Kor Ror 2 or copy of your wife’s house book (Tabian Baan).

On 3/12/2018 at 8:09 AM, davejonesbkk said:

OK thanks.

What documents do I need to apply for the non imm O in the UK? Marriage certificate and wife ID card right? Do I need that Kor ror 2 thing from the local amphur and if so does it need to be a recent one like when I do the marriage extension?

Edit: I think I need wifes family book too right? As we have a child now do I need documents for him too?

Do I need to supply any kind of financial details now or is that only later when I do the extension?

(Im only applying for a single entry btw)

You only need copies of marriage certificate and ID, passport or Thai ID card, they specifically ask not to send originals.

I did the same last August to move my extension renewal from the summer to autumn.

It is very easy by post, took about 3 days, all the info is on the embassy website which you should read in case of changes to the fees and note that you need to put passport number on back of postal order, nearly forgot that.