Trump to propose arming school staff, raising gun purchase age

webfact

Trump to propose arming school staff, raising gun purchase age

2018-03-11T180704Z_1_LYNXNPEE2A0IT_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump waves to supporters after speaking in support of Republican congressional candidate Rick Sacconne during a Make America Great Again rally in Moon Township, Pennsylvania, U.S., March 10, 2018. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump will propose arming school staff and raising the minimum age to 21 to purchase certain firearms in a school safety proposal that the administration will release on Sunday, a White House spokesman said in broadcast comments.

Trump is also likely to back a bipartisan Senate bill that Republican Senator John Cornyn and Democratic Senator Chris Murphy introduced to improve federal compliance with criminal background checks, White House spokesman Raj Shah said on Sunday on ABC's "This Week."

A mass shooting in Parkland, Florida last month has renewed a U.S. debate over gun control. Student survivors of the shooting have mobilized to call for stricter gun control laws after the deaths of 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. A former student is accused of using an assault-style rifle to carry out the massacre.

During his presidential campaign, Trump touted his support for gun rights and was endorsed by the National Rifle Association, the powerful gun lobby group. Since the shooting, he has offered conflicting statements about his views on gun policies, at times calling for new restrictions and at other times rowing back on his comments.

Shah did not say whether Trump's proposal to raise the minimum age for buying certain arms would be through supporting federal legislation or encouraging states to take it on. Many Republican lawmakers say it should be left to the states. Shah also said there would be a provision that would involve having "trained individuals" in schools, including staff.

On Saturday, the Department of Justice formally submitted a regulation to ban 'bump stocks,' a modification to high-capacity rifles that lets them fire like an automatic weapon, that would not need congressional approval. Shooter Stephen Paddock used a bump stock in an October 2017 shooting rampage in Las Vegas that left 58 people dead and more than 850 injured.

(Reporting By Yasmeen Abutaleb; Editing by Caren Bohan and Rosalba O'Brien)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-03-12

1 hour ago, webfact said:

U.S. President Donald Trump will propose arming school staff and raising the minimum age to 21 to purchase certain firearms

kind of a weak effort really, 'certain firearms' ? the guns and attitudes are Already in the people's hands

31 minutes ago, transam said:

If it happens just wait for a massacre via a stressed out teacher...:sad:

there are bound to be guns stolen by students, or the careless teacher who forgets to lock it up, or it goes off by accident. Students who know which teachers are armed will probably take out the teacher first if they decide to commit a crime. Arming teachers opens up a can of worms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, quandow said:

His mind is that of a weather vane. He most likely will change his mind. Again and again.

In less than a day ...

The Trump administration on Sunday night proposed providing some school personnel with "rigorous" firearms training and backed a bill to improve criminal background checks on gun buyers, but backpedaled on the idea of increasing the minimum age to buy certain firearms -- a policy President Donald Trump had said he would support.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/03/11/politics/white-house-gun-school-safety-proposals/index.html

I do not think Trump will support raising the age to 21. After his recent meeting with the NRA lobbyist, he stopped discussing this possibility. He never met a lobbyist he could say no to. And nobody says no to the NRA. I consider them to be an organization that supports terror. And an awful lot of terror seems to be committed by young white men, under the age of 21 in the US, with the support of the NRA apparently. 

I really do not think he cares. He is so out of touch, so oblivious, so caught up within his own desires, and ego gratification, that anything else does not matter. I think it is important to not lose sight of one important aspect of this show. It is the Donald show. It is planet don. It is a reality TV show, with little don as the host. He is able to devote a few hours a day, to pretending to be president. But, for the most part, it is about running the show, and that is the most important thing for the charlatan. The American people? They mean nothing to him. His base? They mean nothing to him. The world. It means nothing to him. His family? They are sort of important. But Melania? Not really. 

Tiny DT. The art of moving America backwards, and lowering the quality of life for the average American. 

The art of I cannot make a deal to save my life. 

The art of losing talent in droves, and replacing them with sycophantic fools, devoid of talent or experience. 

The art of attempting to lead a nation, while being infected with the thinnest skin of a world leader, in history. 

The art of not having a diplomatic bone in his body, and destroying long held alliances, with hate, hubris and a horrible lack of intelligence, vision and talent.

• Like 2

Remember in the USA when the a seat belt was placed in the drivers side, not to be used but had to have one, the law. Now squards of police put up a road block/check specifically to enforce seat belt use. It is a slipper slope that starts with baby steps.

2 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Remember in the USA when the a seat belt was placed in the drivers side, not to be used but had to have one, the law. Now squards of police put up a road block/check specifically to enforce seat belt use. It is a slipper slope that starts with baby steps.

So it is a bad thing to help you to prevent that you bang your head against the window and get brain damage?

That being said, speed up and leave the belt, nothing can go wrong. 

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I do not think Trump will support raising the age to 21. After his recent meeting with the NRA lobbyist, he stopped discussing this possibility. He never met a lobbyist he could say no to. And nobody says no to the NRA. I consider them to be an organization that supports terror. And an awful lot of terror seems to be committed by young white men, under the age of 21 in the US, with the support of the NRA apparently. 

I really do not think he cares. He is so out of touch, so oblivious, so caught up within his own desires, and ego gratification, that anything else does not matter. I think it is important to not lose sight of one important aspect of this show. It is the Donald show. It is planet don. It is a reality TV show, with little don as the host. He is able to devote a few hours a day, to pretending to be president. But, for the most part, it is about running the show, and that is the most important thing for the charlatan. The American people? They mean nothing to him. His base? They mean nothing to him. The world. It means nothing to him. His family? They are sort of important. But Melania? Not really. 

Tiny DT. The art of moving America backwards, and lowering the quality of life for the average American. 

The art of I cannot make a deal to save my life. 

The art of losing talent in droves, and replacing them with sycophantic fools, devoid of talent or experience. 

The art of attempting to lead a nation, while being infected with the thinnest skin of a world leader, in history. 

The art of not having a diplomatic bone in his body, and destroying long held alliances, with hate, hubris and a horrible lack of intelligence, vision and talent.

"And an awful lot of terror seems to be committed by young white men, under the age of 21 in the US, with the support of the NRA apparently". 

The NRA doesn't support terror.It is a organization that helps promote and supports  gun laws and gun safety.  People old,young green and blue who commit  terror don't support laws,order or safety.

Edited by riclag
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The manic said:

No. They expected more from Obama... And he did nothing .Trump is real. Lower taxes, border walls, Lower black unemployment, lower Hispanic unemployment higher take home wages A fighter against cultural Marxism and thr whole anti hate white man agenda. 

welcome to the  discussion    :smile: