Helicopter crashes in New York City's East River

webfact

Helicopter crashes in New York City's East River

2018-03-12T004117Z_1_LYNXNPEE2B010_RTROPTP_4_NEW-YORK-HELICOPTER.JPG

A helicopter crashed in New York City's East River March 11, 2018 in this picture obtained from social media. John J. Magers/via REUTERS

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A helicopter carrying several people crashed in New York City's East River on Sunday and police and fire department divers were in the water around the partially submerged aircraft, according to officials and media reports.

The Federal Aviation Administration said the Eurocopter AS350 went down near the northern end of Roosevelt Island at about 7 p.m. and was reported to be upside-down in the water. The agency said it was investigating.

Eric Phillips, spokesman for New York Mayor Bill de Blasio, said the mayor had been briefed. "NYPD and FDNY divers already on the scene and in the water," Phillips tweeted.

(Reporting by Daniel Wallis; Additional reporting by David Shepardson in Washington; Editing by Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-03-12

At least two dead after helicopter crashes in New York City's East River

2018-03-12T014908Z_1_LYNXNPEE2B02X_RTROPTP_4_NEW-YORK-HELICOPTER.JPG

Paramedics and members of the NYFD perform CPR on a victim of a helicopter crash in New York, U.S., March 11, 2018. REUTERS/Darren Ornitz

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A helicopter carrying six people crashed in New York City's East River on Sunday, killing at least two, and emergency divers were in the water around the partially submerged aircraft, according to officials.

Eric Phillips, a spokesman for Mayor Bill de Blasio, said in a post on Twitter there was "at least one survivor, at least two fatalities. Divers are still in the water."

New York Police said three people were hospitalized.

The Federal Aviation Administration said the Eurocopter AS350 went down near the northern end of Roosevelt Island at about 7 p.m. and was reported to be upside-down in the water. The agency said it was investigating. The National Transportation Safety Board said its investigative team would arrive on Monday.

A Reuters photographer witnessed three people recovered by rescue divers being wheeled on stretchers onto a midtown pier shortly before 9 p.m. Emergency personnel attempted to resuscitate them, but their condition was not clear. Officials would not provide further details.

The U.S. Coast Guard said six people were on the helicopter. The Coast Guard launched three boats to aid in the response, joining New York City emergency responders.

The Coast Guard said, "Five people have been recovered by New York City Police Department and the New York City Fire Department divers and their conditions are currently unknown."

"It kind of hit sideways and just flipped over," Brianna Jesme, 22, an Upper East Side resident who witnessed the crash, told Reuters TV.

A federal official said the aircraft appeared to be a sight-seeing helicopter.

Video of the incident filmed by an onlooker and posted on Twitter showed a red helicopter descending toward the water at dusk, then landing with a large splash before tipping onto its right side, its tail lights still flashing.

Reuters could not immediately verify the authenticity of the footage.

The New York City Fire Department tweeted that its members were with police at the location near 91st Street in Manhattan.

New York police and fire officials planned to brief reporters later on Sunday.

(Reporting by Daniel Wallis; Additional reporting by David Shepardson in Washington and Scott DiSavino in New York, Daren Ornitz in New York Editing by Peter Cooney and Cynthia Osterman)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-03-12

The Pilot survived reporting he thinks one of the passengers bags must have knocked the fuel shut off valve??? All five passengers dead

Are they not given safety briefs on what to do if emergency water landing? RIP

• Like 1

I remember when I went on my first trip to N.Y in 1988. It was a surprise trip , an invitation from our business partner in the company I worked for. 

A helicopter trip around Manhattan and the statue of liberty  was a part of the package , I was terrified , the helicopters looked old and smelled of diesel . I had a bad feeling inside me so I was happy when we returned back to the helipad. 

Then 2 hours later back on our hotel room we could all watch on TV the same helicopter from the company we used had crashed in the water, all 3 passengers and pilot died.  Needless to say I have not been inside a helicopter since.