Worm Snake

I thought about posting this in the "Thai language" forum but thought that I'd get more response in this forum. Does anyone know what a "worm snake" is called in Thai?

I caught a few back in India and very hardy and hardy fellows these. I had them for more than 3 years before having to give them away to a friend as I had to move.

Anyone seen or kept these here either in Thailand or their homeland? Any information would be useful. Thanks.

061009-10Typhlopsmuelleri.jpg

More info

When I encountered them in my garden in Nong Khai the local students called them "ngu din"....which would translate to "dirt snake".....if indeed it is the same kind. The one I'm talkinga about looks like an earthworm at first glance but is much more active when disturbed. I ran across them when digging in my garden......just like you would find an earthworm.

Chownah

we have some like that in israel; not sure if the same or not:

typhlops vermicularis or typhlops simoni

leptotyphlops macrorhynchus

(taken from an isarelai snake book)

not sure if they are the same family, similar or not at all....

they are like naked snakes or worms

well using the latin names from my book, i searched and found a fun site :

http://www.lifemapper.org/robotfood/Reptil...ermicularis.HTM

and also found: Leptotyphlops is a large genus of 93 species of snakes commonly known as blind snakes, thread snakes and worm snakes. They are found through North and South America, Africa and Asia, almost any part of the world where the ground does not freeze solid in the winter.

here is a species that i think was listed for thailand but have no time to do a full search

Leptotyphlops phillipsi. try using this name

have fun

bina

Edited by bina

When I encountered them in my garden in Nong Khai the local students called them "ngu din"....which would translate to "dirt snake".....if indeed it is the same kind. The one I'm talkinga about looks like an earthworm at first glance but is much more active when disturbed. I ran across them when digging in my garden......just like you would find an earthworm.

Chownah

Bloody hel_l Chownah thanks for that we get loads of them yuk yuk I hate snakes I thought these were big worms and go writhing about when you top them yuk some of them are 18ins long

Chownah

Bloody hel_l Chownah thanks for that we get loads of them yuk yuk I hate snakes I thought these were big worms and go writhing about when you top them yuk some of them are 18ins long

Maybe you have just got alot of big worms....the ones I saw were only about 10 or 15 cm long (if my memory is correct) and really it was hard to tell if it was a snake or a worm....the snake has eyes and the worm doesn't.

Chownah

Chownah

Maybe you have just got alot of big worms....the ones I saw were only about 10 or 15 cm long (if my memory is correct) and really it was hard to tell if it was a snake or a worm....the snake has eyes and the worm doesn't.

Chownah

Think there just big worms that have been subjected to Steroids :o

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, the name's ngu din. Now if only one of you could pack a couple of these in a box from the countryside and EMS to poor me in the concrete jungle of Bkk :o

Well, these snaked DO "bite". They have a sharp and hard pointed tip with which they poke if you handle them. Though there is no stinging, many have mistaken this mild pinching feeling to being bitten.

the same pinched feeling u get when a lizard gecko hangs on to your finger for dear life.......and the more u try to get him off your finger, the more he hangs on and with tighter jaws......

did u check out the names i listed?