Where is the best Borchst in Pattaya

torrzent

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

That wasn't Pattaya, but speaking of cold borscht, where's the cold borscht in Pattaya? I haven't seen it. You would think with tropical weather it would be more common here. 

Aha, so it IS the cold Russian soup.

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That wasn't Pattaya, but speaking of cold borscht, where's the cold borscht in Pattaya? I haven't seen it. You would think with tropical weather it would be more common here. 

Can't see it replacing Tom Yum anytime soon.

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

In Pattaya you might be surprised.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I would be because that's where I live. Never seen Borscht on the menu anywhere, but then I don't seek out Russian restaurants.

Edited by giddyup

I would be because that's where I live. Never seen Borscht on the menu anywhere, but then I don't seek out Russian restaurants.
Borscht actually peaked before when Russian tourism peaked before the ruble crash. Then you could find borscht in many surprising places including Indian restaurants. That waned but Russian tourism numbers are supposedly rising again.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

All the Russian restaurants serve Borscht. You can even get it inside Central Festival in the food court downstairs. They taste the same to me , cold or hot.

It's really hard to find good borscht in a restaurant in any country, even Russia or Ukraine. Good (not wormy) beets are hard to come by here. They take a long time to cook and the soup requires caraway seed. Cold, like gazpacho, or hot, good borscht is a very satisfying meal. Just make sure you get saome heavy, black rye bread on the side!

9 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

It's really hard to find good borscht in a restaurant in any country, even Russia or Ukraine. Good (not wormy) beets are hard to come by here. They take a long time to cook and the soup requires caraway seed. Cold, like gazpacho, or hot, good borscht is a very satisfying meal. Just make sure you get saome heavy, black rye bread on the side!

OK am salivating now....does anywhere in Pattaya come even close to this?  Maybe some of our Russian friends need to weigh in some potential locations?

Edited by torrzent

On 17/03/2018 at 11:48 PM, unblocktheplanet said:

Beetroot in markets , just look and you will find.

Caraway seeds,           just look and you will find.

Borscht is nothing special. bit like tomato soup,  is nothing special. :coffee1:

1 hour ago, stanleycoin said:

Borscht is nothing special. bit like tomato soup,  is nothing special. :coffee1:

Yes it can be. Maybe you've never had decent borscht.

This vegan borscht from a very famous Ukrainian restaurant in New York actually looks like my grandma's version.

borshct.jpg.83cbc4b7dac98e83fd26bd0dcc48100e.jpg

Video  --

http://video.newyorker.com/watch/the-queen-of-borscht

Edited by Jingthing

42 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes it can be. Maybe you've never had decent borscht.

This vegan borscht from a very famous Ukrainian restaurant in New York actually looks like my grandma's version.

borshct.jpg.83cbc4b7dac98e83fd26bd0dcc48100e.jpg

Video  --

http://video.newyorker.com/watch/the-queen-of-borscht

Yes that's the stuff, bland old beetroot.

Served in a posh bowel in a posh restaurant, bet they also serve stuff like fish and chips also bland food.

After 15 years of working with the old eastern block boys and girls.

I got the impression,  it just reminded them of mum dad and grandma back home.

but it's still bland,  old poor man's food,  in a posh bowl.

But if it floats your boat, up to you.

4 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

This is like saying French Onion soup is samesame everywhere....simply not true!

• Like 2

Bottom line, I seriously doubt anyone can provide a picture of restaurant borscht served in the Pattaya area that looks as intensely red and BEETY as pictured. When my granny served super red borscht like that, you could smell it in the next room (in a good way). Sure I get why many people think borscht is always boring and pedestrian. If all you tasted was what is served in Pattaya, you would be right (unless someone has a hot tip!). 

borshct.jpg.e2527f253fc484b776d5ef7cf16478e6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Bottom line, I seriously doubt anyone can provide a picture of restaurant borscht served in the Pattaya area that looks as intensely red and BEETY as pictured. When my granny served super red borscht like that, you could smell it in the next room (in a good way). Sure I get why many people think borscht is always boring and pedestrian. If all you tasted was what is served in Pattaya, you would be right (unless someone has a hot tip!). 

borshct.jpg.e2527f253fc484b776d5ef7cf16478e6.jpg

Maybe a friendly TVF volunteer could go stand out front 7-11 and swill beers while carrying out a poll of the local Ruskies on this topic.  A gofundme page could be set up to pay for the copious quantities of beer that would have to be consumed during the survey.