Where is the best Borchst in Pattaya

torrzent

On 13.03.2018 at 10:10 AM, HLover said:

Is that the cold Russian soup?  

3757019.jpg.fcab98c9751a6b92a70106ed64591c17.jpg

@Jingthing

its a hot soup. Name originated during WW2, I believe it is russian name "Borsh" which is now used in Germany - "Borcht"; However its the same dish.

"Ramanasya restaurant", between Phratamnak 5-6 (almost every dish is good)

Caravan restaurant (2nd Rd, north pattaya) - top 10 according to tripadvisor. Food is good. Cook is Russian(Khazakh).

Ukraine restaurant (Jomtien) - pretty much good food, will serve you a shot of original vodka to go with the soup.

All venues are googleable. Decent russian food with "Ramanasya" being my top pick for its privacy and food quality.

Edited by Nook225
  • Like 1

Borscht can be cold or hot.  Not going to get into ridiculous arguments about the name starting during WW2. There are different spellings in different countries. The common spelling we use Borscht (about the BEET ROOT version) has Yiddish origins. It's origin regardless of specific spelling is considered Ukrainian but of course versions of the soup are found widely in that region.

Hmm.

I assume you mean Romanasia.

Borscht there is 200 baht. I suppose it better be good.

http://www.romanasia.com/RestaurantMenu

Ukraine where you would think their borscht would be exceptional because of the Ukraine (beet) roots of borscht in my experience is just OK. But the pampushkas with garlic made it better. 100 for the soup, add 20 for the pampushkas called donuts on the menu. 

I've eaten at Caravan a few times for their Central Asian food which one time was very good and the next time not so good. They also have Russian of course. Here's a pic of their 180 baht borscht. (No further comment.)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d9824860-Reviews-Caravan-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html#photos;geo=293919&detail=9824860&ff=282586602&albumViewMode=hero&aggregationId=101&albumid=101&baseMediaId=282586602&thumbnailMinWidth=50&cnt=30&offset=-1&filter=7&autoplay=

Edited by Jingthing

There is a local Russian restaurant in Naklua you might try , I see plenty of Russians enter the building so the food must be good .  There is a Russian lady inside working as a waiter / cook ?    

I don't remember the name of the place but they have a large sign outside with prices. Actually I looked on Google street view now and the place is called Malina , but maybe new owners since the picture was taken . 

Location is Naklua soi 16 , around in the middle of the soi .  

Btw Soi 16 is the Russian soi in Naklua , if you see any white faces they are not German or English speaking people , all signs in Russian :tongue:

Capture.jpg

Edited by balo

In my experience locally, a Russian restaurant having lots of Russian customers is typical and expected. It doesn't mean that they have exceptionally good Russian food. It would mean they have at least serviceable Russian food. Most of the Russian tourists here aren't exactly foodies and the ones that are are often found in non-Russian restaurants such as Indian.

I know it's a stereotype to think go where the nationals go, but it actually isn't always true. If you see a lot of Americans at McDonalds would you think McDonald's has exceptional burgers? No. They have burgers. That's all. 

We've already established you can get borscht at many, many restaurants here. But the question isn't about just having borscht. 

Edited by Jingthing

On 3/14/2018 at 12:11 AM, HLover said:

Aha, so it IS the cold Russian soup.

Cold soup from Spain is called Gazpacho.  I have never eaten borscht cold.  It is primary soup made from beetroots and meat stock.  It can be served as a thin clear pink broth or as a thick soup. I learned to cook it in Libya where beetroots we're very cheap and Ukrainian oil workers showed me how to make it. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The manic said:

Cold soup from Spain is called Gazpacho.  I have never eaten borscht cold.  It is primary soup made from beetroots and meat stock.  It can be served as a thin clear pink broth or as a thick soup. I learned to cook it in Libya where beetroots we're very cheap and Ukrainian oil workers showed me how to make it. 

Thank you.  I had it once in Thailand while having a fling with a Siberian girl.  It was served room temperature, similar to her personality.