So much for zebra crossings - Russian tourist mown down on one in Jomtien

webfact

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I see the same thing in Los Angeles, except there the pedestrians have the right of way, big time. But, I see pedestrians walking right in front of my car, without even looking! I often roll my windows down, and say to them "don't you think you are taking an awful lot for granted, not even looking?" They look at me like I am from Mars. 

Crossing the street in Thailand is a very, very dangerous thing to do. I always do it very carefully, and always look both ways, even if it is a one way street! Pedestrians beware. Alot get taken out here. Alot. The drivers just do not care. The drivers here have such a staggering lack of respect, consideration, regard for safety, and skill. 

Well, it's LA, that explains it. The reason they look at you like you're from Mars is they don't speak English. :rofl:

In that video the second accident where the guy has a deformed leg and is limping across and the car just runs him over... looks like the car had plenty of time to stop and was just not trying, or not even looking.

What is the penalty in Thailand for a car hitting a person in a cross walk? Do the drivers pay even medical bills? Or is the only penalty damage to one's grill?

5 minutes ago, jerry921 said:

What is the penalty in Thailand for a car hitting a person in a cross walk? Do the drivers pay even medical bills? Or is the only penalty damage to one's grill?

Anyone who gets hit in a crosswalk here is non observant and possibly ignorant about how people drive.

But, I would bet many of Thai people would get out of their car and check the vehicle damage first, then maybe go assist any injured. I have seen this before.

Penalty?  Remember,  if you were not here it would not have happened......

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Crossing the street in Thailand is a very, very dangerous thing to do. I always do it very carefully, and always look both ways, even if it is a one way street! Pedestrians beware. Alot get taken out here. Alot.

Actually you've been missing a critical step. Guess either Mama didn't teach you or you just plain forgot. Yet teaching resources are readily available nowadays on the 'net. So it's just amazing you've lasted this long. To correct this incomplete lesson endangering our clueless members, here's a free teaching vid. Catchy tune and some cool moves to help all remember, man. Practice makes perfect! Good  luck on safe crossing in the future. Whew!

Edited by JSixpack

21 minutes ago, johng said:

I prefer the original "Darth Vader"   version

Thanks! This may better reach our Brit members. We can never get enough teaching here! I'm shocked our ace TVF Traffic Police didn't catch the error that might have led to another fatality. Losing faith . . . . :(

Edited by JSixpack

14 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

You ever watch them cross a busy road they actually will look both ways

The one I hit on my motorbike at about 55 KPH  didn't look at all...just darted out from behind a rubbish bin and  sent my wife and I  on a not too pleasant slide along the concrete. :sad:

The one I hit on my motorbike at about 55 KPH  didn't look at all...just darted out from behind a rubbish bin and  sent my wife and I  on a not too pleasant slide along the concrete. :sad:

He must have watched one of those UK road safety adverts where the motorbikes are invisible.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, Orac said:

UK road safety adverts

I bet he watched them  but couldn't read the subtitles...if only they had dubbed it into Thai using the usual 2  "handsome voice" actors   he would still be alive and we wouldn't have had to go to hospital everyday for two weeks to change wound dressings.

I was actually hit by a Russian riding his motorcycle through a red light on Thap Phraya Road's Zebra crossing by the Police Helmet/Chair on the junction with Thepprasit Road.

I am so sorry for the Russian gentleman who was killed outside the Ambassador. If I would have caught up with that Russian motorcyclist who hit me, I would have marmalized him. Terrible the disregard for the laws of the road here!

On 14/03/2018 at 6:07 PM, shy coconut said:

You really shouldn't be ushering pedestrians across the road anywhere in the world, especially if

there is traffic moving either side of you.

You may be aware of the people crossing the road but you have no idea whether other drivers have seen them.

I didn't usher a pedestrian across a road it was a bl@@dy zebra crossing for goodness sake. You know those things on which pedestrians have a right of way. And you don't know whether I checked that other vehicles weren't likely to mow them down do you!!! Give me some credit please and don't tell me what I can and can't do.

Edited by rtco

12 minutes ago, rtco said:

I didn't usher a pedestrian across a road it was a bl@@dy zebra crossing for goodness sake. You know those things on which pedestrians have a right of way. And you don't know whether I checked that other vehicles weren't likely to mow them down do you!!! Give me some credit please and don't tell me what I can and can't do.

Sorry I agree with the other guy.  "Rights" is a very subjective concept, and it is better to be wrong and stay alive, than right and dead.

9 hours ago, marginline said:

I was actually hit by a Russian riding his motorcycle through a red light on Thap Phraya Road's Zebra crossing by the Police Helmet/Chair on the junction with Thepprasit Road.

I am so sorry for the Russian gentleman who was killed outside the Ambassador. If I would have caught up with that Russian motorcyclist who hit me, I would have marmalized him. Terrible the disregard for the laws of the road here!

If you couldn't catch up with him, how do you know he was a Russian?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, champers said:

If you couldn't catch up with him, how do you know he was a Russian?

Wow. Such in-depth questioning. This is almost worthy of "Ironside" because ironically; the very same motorcyclist; identified as "Russian" got cut into two pieces as he sped along Jomtiensaisong; late and drunk about two; three weeks later. Because he died at the scene, unlike "Ironside"; who was played by Raymond Burr if memory serves me right - he diddn'[t need the wheelchair. And as an extra li''le secret champers krub - I'll throw in just for you that, Raymond Burr didn't actually need the wheelchair either because of course, he was acting.

3 hours ago, HLover said:

He had a stern no emotion look about him and he was returning from 7-11, beers in the bag?

...and thank you for your support HLover; there was most definitely that element about him I recall.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, HLover said:

He had a stern no emotion look about him and he was returning from 7-11, beers in the bag?

what a ridiculous stereotype....Russian ballarinas and figure skaters display great emotion.  Did the guy at least do a pirrouette?

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Humid said:

The speed he was traveling 

Be careful with that generalization.  There is a Russian F1 driver, Kvyat who is considerably slower than the top dogs.  Had you said driving "erratically", than this would be consistent with the crash prone Russian F1 driver's technique.

On 3/14/2018 at 9:42 AM, MrJohnson said:

Zebra crossing sin Thailand, purely decorative. That one in particular is just plain ridiculous. I would guess that average speed along there is 60-80kmh. People simply will not stop. Either need traffic lights or an overhead bridge.

IT STATES that there is  A BRIDGE.....THEY JUST do NOT USE IT

On 14.3.2018 at 7:41 AM, johng said:

Sorry, but you dont know this stretch of road it is a very busy high speed "motorway"

Just before the crossing is a 7/11 that often has cars parked into the
most left hand "motorcycle" lane that could have easily obscured the Russian man from motorcyclists view until the last second, no time to react he justs poops out in front of the bike and bam !

BULLSSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!

5 warning signs... citylimit , pedestrian  and son on !!!!!!!!!!

why me can stop at any time there??????? !!!!!!!!!!

but problem solved in thaiway

they removed the predestrian some day ago

and make the paint away

............hhahaha  more death and inyouries on the way

22 minutes ago, essox essox said:

IT STATES that there is  A BRIDGE.....THEY JUST do NOT USE IT

IT STATES 5 TIMES THERE IS A PEDESRIAN for cars and motorbikes

and second bridge is 500meter more walk in total.......ask your self who walk that, you walk that ? ???? never ever too

and whats with kids???? there many

whats with olderly, who even cant walk the high steps up????????????

you have excuses on the hand for crimminal drivers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! who not respect anything