Villagers turn drought into baht, selling Mekong weed

webfact

Villagers turn drought into baht, selling Mekong weed

By The Nation

Residents of a village in Chiang Rai’s Chiang Khong district has turned the annual drought into an opportunity by harvesting Mekong weed to sell, earning some Bt500 to Bt2,000 a day, they said.

Residents of Ban Haad Krai village in Tambon Vieng said they started harvesting the weed early this month when the water in the river lowered during the dry season.

They said they could harvest the aquatic weed until April and could do it just once a year.

During the dry season, the water in the river lowers to reveal rocks at the bottom of the river, from which villagers can harvest the weed, which is called “kai” in the northeastern dialect.

Kham Yongyin, 70, said villagers could sell the weed for about Bt10 per kilogram and each person could harvest 5 to 20kg each day.

The Chiang Rai provincial administration has announced that an annual festival will be held at the Ching Khong district office on Friday to promote the dried kai product.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30340884

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-14

30 minutes ago, robblok said:

I dont know if anyone checks the stories for accuracy but I doubt it

Residents of a village in Chiang Rai’s Chiang Khong district has turned the annual drought into an opportunity by harvesting Mekong weed to sell, earning some Bt500 to Bt2,000 a day, they said.

Kham Yongyin, 70, said villagers could sell the weed for about Bt10 per kilogram and each person could harvest 5 to 20kg each day.

So how do you get from 20 KG at 10bt per KG = 200 

While somewhere else they mention 2000

Either someone added a zero (at total profit) or someone forgot a zero at price per KG.

The poor schleppes harvesting the weed probably only get 10.  I suspect it's the Elite middlemen with the proper (and required) permits that siphon the other 100 baht.  Just like so many things in Thailand...  The masses get screwed.

He wrote, with his tongue firmly in cheek.

Edited by impulse

28 minutes ago, robblok said:

I dont know if anyone checks the stories for accuracy but I doubt it

So how do you get from 20 KG at 10bt per KG = 200 

While somewhere else they mention 2000

Either someone added a zero (at total profit) or someone forgot a zero at price per KG.

You no undastaan, you no thai....why fallang always have to ruin a nice story?? You need thai calculator and smile all day...

This happens in 75% of the stories published by Thai, it's always the numbers that are wrong....i wonder if they do it on purpose or if they really don't know how to calculate a sum.

• 1 month later...