Possible indentity theft at Chon Buri Immigration

Must be your first time at Immigration :-) Anyway, if you give Immigration a copy of your passport, draw 2 Parallel lines diagonally across the document copy and write something like "Only for purposes of Thai Immigration" & date (or whatever is appropriate) in between the lines. That is quite standard in Thailand when you need to give copies of important documents to all and sundry.

Edited by Cloggie
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

And another excuse for those who think they're holier than thou to spout off. I wonder how many people have had their identity stolen via Jomtien Immigrations forms compared to the slipshod care for identity in the west. Farang just seem to not take pride in anything they do.

Maybe immigrations should just charge Baht 50 for every pristine form you want or tell you to print your own off the Internet.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2017/02/06/identity-theft-hit-all-time-high-2016/97398548/

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/aug/23/identity-fraud-figures-cifas-theft

The holier than thou are found in many forms; some in uniforms, some in plain clothes, some in religious garb and  some at the keyboard.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cloggie said:
Must be your first time at Immigration :-) Anyway, if you give Immigration a copy of your passport, draw 2 Parallel lines diagonally across the document copy and write something like "Only for purposes of Thai Immigration" & date (or whatever is appropriate) in between the lines. That is quite standard in Thailand when you need to give copies of important documents to all and sundry.

I can't talk about the specific case at Chonburi immigration, but from what i got in other offices i assume that the copies that you get this way were never in the hand of the owner. Probably these copies were produced when they copied the wrong document, made too many copies of a document, or what ever. So no chance to sign it ;)

If you want to protect yourself from this you have to make copies by yourself, sign them, write the purpose and date on it as you suggested, and make sure your passport never leaves your sight when you show it to anybody.

2 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

Of course , if they are recycling our photocopies and not storing them , the question has to be asked as to why they need our copies in the first place.

Either.

Stupidity and laziness to simply change the process

OR

To make are lives awkward and make us feel inferior and not welcome.  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

Of course , if they are recycling our photocopies and not storing them , the question has to be asked as to why they need our copies in the first place.

They keep the copies required for what ever you are doing in a file.

Any that are not needed are the ones that are reused in some cases.

Every new application or report requires new  copies.

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

I can't talk about the specific case at Chonburi immigration, but from what i got in other offices i assume that the copies that you get this way were never in the hand of the owner. Probably these copies were produced when they copied the wrong document, made too many copies of a document, or what ever. So no chance to sign it ;)

If you want to protect yourself from this you have to make copies by yourself, sign them, write the purpose and date on it as you suggested, and make sure your passport never leaves your sight when you show it to anybody.

Not so easy to ensure your passport never leaves your sight when renewing the extension. It is usually taken to the Captain for verification of being correctly completed, who sits behind a closed screen, at the I.O I go to.

What has the OP done to highlight this 'clear breach of a person's personal information '?

Bring it to the immediate attention of the most senior officer on duty?  Report it to the Russian Embassy? 

I thought so...... Nothing!!! 

By the way I would have done nothing either.... And certainly not shred my nightie in public on this forum. 

If you are using the second side then you are in no danger.

Our office did some of my copies on "recycled" paper (technical papers), CW immigration rejected them because of "irrelevant" information on the reverse.

Yea cannae win :sad:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

Answer 1: The (quite enormous) annual budget for paper is always mysteriously empty by the middle of January.

Answer 2: The document storage company which has contracts with multiple government departments is owned by a certain persons cousin.

By reusing the paper in the manner you describe it means that there is 1. no need to worry about the paper budget and 2. the storage company does not need to take too much away to store.

Perfect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

If you are using the second side then you are in no danger.

Our office did some of my copies on "recycled" paper (technical papers), CW immigration rejected them because of "irrelevant" information on the reverse.

Yea cannae win :sad:

Not really much to stop you copying the page again (relevant side only) or even scanning it into a computer.

Still a breach of personal information whichever way you look at it.

And again, not just immigration. A few years ago I was doing my annual medical at a very well known hospital and at the end, during my talk and final inspection by the GM doctor, he started talking about treatment for an abdominal infection which hadn't shown up in any of the tests during the medical. It turned out that the medical records that he was referencing weren't mine at all but another expat's (who I know well) who happened to have the same first christian name (not even surname) hence leading to the mistake!

I understand that mistakes happen, but when I left the doctor's office, the nurses at the reception were having a full on debate using the other Chris's full name repeatedly going through his list of ailments in front of a full waiting room. For some reason that really p1ssed me off that medical confidential information like that was so openly transmitted in such an unprofessional way.

Same as most of the paperwork everywhere, hotels photocopying passports, buying phone SIM places photocopying passport information.  Of course some of those pass on that information to people and places it should not go.  No policies exist, no penalties exist for not safeguarding or disposing of properly.  Just imagine how much paper and copies immigration produces every week or month or year.  How much is archived and when and where or trashed?  Burned? Landfilled?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ThaidDown said:

Old news, its been going on for years at many Immigration Offices.

Agree with your point about possibly aiding identity theft but will it change, probably not.

I await that amazing coincidence day when I turn over the form and it is my passport copy on the reverse side, and I will buy lottery tickets.

• Like 1

Do they still sell food in paper bags made out of old newsprint or whatever second-hand paper that is pasted together by kids and old folks?  I'm not talking about "recycled", but directly reused.

Edited by Damrongsak

Old news, its been going on for years at many Immigration Offices.

Agree with your point about possibly aiding identity theft but will it change, probably not.

Not sure what information is on a passport page that can lead to identity theft. Name, date of birth. This information is readily available on the internet. Secure encrypted passwords offer the best protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Its' also an invasion of privacy- in effect -giving information about a persons private detail to all and sundry.

Totally thoughtless and probably done to save on paper without regard to anyone's rights.

There is a long stay establishment/hotel in Pattaya that does the same using records of other guests' stay on one side of the paper which is then used to print out invoice to guest when paying bills.

The guest stay records reveal the full name and other info about the guest, how many persons stay in the room plus extra charge for over night visitors etc...

TiT. 

• Like 1

I would add that here in the USA, Florida, when I recently got my "gold star" license that the TSA forced down people's throats, I had to bring my passport, two recent bills, etc. to the DMV.  They copied them and then did..? Who knows?  I said to the lady there is a lot of personal information there.  What are you doing with it?  Are storing it, throwing it away, scanning it in, then burning the documents?  She had no answer.