Lawmakers are proposing law to stop pet abandonment, prevent disease spreading

webfact

Is this Brazil?  Another great idea that will massively add to the already burgeoning bureaucracy.  And basically it will be ignored by the very people who really don't care or take care of their pets.
Responsible owners will register.

The rest will shrug it off.  Why.  Like the traffic laws - Who's going to enforce the law?  :sleep:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Antonymous said:

I have been voluntarily microchipping my dogs in Thailand for the past 12 years. The idea is that if one was lost and found or was stolen and had to prove ownership, I could prove the dog was mine.

Trouble is not only the cost of the chips and registration for owners, which will deter most, but also the cost of the wand required to read the chip in the dog and then keep a database to check it. I asked a couple of dog rescue places locally if they checked for microchips in pedigree stray dogs they rescued and I got a blank stare. They didn't have the equipment to do so. Do you think all the local administrations in thailand are going to buy and use the necessary equipment if this becomes law?

Very good point.

Now that makes perfect sense. 

I love it when suggestions are made that bring Thailand into line with first world countries.

Don't only make it in BKK, make it nationwide.

We need it in Pattaya as well.

I'll be very happy to register and chip our 4 fur babies. Not a problem.

2 of them were adopted from street beggars and would have been part of the problem in Bangkok if I hadn't adopted them as little pups.

A law like this will in effect greatly hurt animal welfare. Thais take to responsibility like cats to crashing surf. Having them somehow assume ownership in a way that can be proven (a prerequisite of the abandonment issue) will mean many less will want to and will abandon the animals currently in their care. Enforcement is an issue. It's more risk than many will be willing to take. Some will say "Thais are compassionate; Thais love their dogs" but a majority won't take their dogs to be fixed or even just for two shots two weeks apart to clear up the mange. When you're not willing to do that, then it's a very cursory form of love, no matter how much rice and chicken you give them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zzidenn said:

They are the sad and lonely ghosts of people that have no shame, no heart and no sense of responsibility. Dogs need affection, love and care, they feel just as much as we do, loneliness, love, etc. deciding to get a dog is a commitment for many years to come and the simple and small minds that can‘t grasp the concept of taking care for an animal should not be allowed to have  one. Chipping and vaccinating should be obligatory as well as parasite and worm control. They thai government made all this obligatory for foreign dogs entering the country,  but fails to have its own citizens follow these easy rules of dog keeping. Obviously this doesn’t apply to everybody, since I know many people who have also dedicated their lives to being good pet owners,  but the majority still doesn’t seem to be educated enough to understand. 

A while ago i was on a petmarket, there's was a thai family with 3 very young kids in front of me....when they say the pups for sale they all grabbed one and hugged it...within a minute dad paid for them and they all walked away with their  3 pets, very happy of course.

That's how it goes sometimes....

23 hours ago, ezflip said:

All this time spent of catching strays, checking them for rabies and vaccinating them BUT no one thought about sterilization?

I mean, they went through the trouble of catching them, might as well perform a quick snip-snip. That would reduce the spread of strays and cost less in the long run in feeding them/taking care of them.

When did logic move to Thailand?

On 3/14/2018 at 2:28 PM, ezflip said:

All this time spent of catching strays, checking them for rabies and vaccinating them

Who said anything about strays? The article is solely about registration of owned cats and dogs. As for the strays, i.e. ALL animals, untethered or corralled, stun 'em, cart 'em, burn 'em and spread 'em. They'd make the best fertiliser your rice and tomatoes have seen for years.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2018 at 3:29 PM, robblok said:

You can make all the laws you want but with a police force to lazy and incompetent to enforce the law its just a paper tiger.

Yep, and with no deterrent (as for all the 'Real' issues here) the Thai's will carry on as they always have, and always will :coffee1:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thian said:

A while ago i was on a petmarket, there's was a thai family with 3 very young kids in front of me....when they say the pups for sale they all grabbed one and hugged it...within a minute dad paid for them and they all walked away with their  3 pets, very happy of course.

That's how it goes sometimes....

lets just hope these puppies were allowed to grow into happy and healthy family dogs...... 

Its a great idea to have owners Register and " Chip " their pets Etc.

A great step forward in controlling unwanted animals and also preventing the spread of diseases such as Rabies.

However ! not a mention on removing the existing animals from the streets to bring the current rampant outbreak of Rabies under control.

All a lip service exercise for Foreign Governments me thinks, so they do not Red Flag Thailand to their Tourists as a potential deadly destination due to the Rabies..

• Like 2

I agree Soi dogs have been part of my notable experience in Thailand but so was my all night sickness after swimming in a lake. 

All you people who campaign for saving soi dogs remind me of anti abortionists.   Why don't these people offer to open their wallets rather than their mouths.  They want to save a life but do they give finds to pay for care all the way through college.  Hell no!

Microchip scanners are about 2000 baht.   

It takes time to get pet owners to be responsible and get  their dog all the shots.   The metal tag collar requirement is so logical.  That way if your bitten they can check the dogs records and maybe save on a human rabies shot.   

I think until Buddha makes a statement that live human lives are more important than some spirit in a dog it will be hard to get rid of all the dogs. 

On 14/03/2018 at 3:13 PM, PatOngo said:

This has been going on for as long as I remember....when the dog reaches 3 months old it is no longer na rak so gets abandoned to run wild and bark all night.

There was a time when dog hunters went over the country. These were the golden times of Thaksin 

52 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

There was a time when dog hunters went over the country. These were the golden times of Thaksin 

I think he had a bigger kill ratio with his war on drugs. Terminated more people than canines.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elkski said:

I agree Soi dogs have been part of my notable experience in Thailand but so was my all night sickness after swimming in a lake. 

All you people who campaign for saving soi dogs remind me of anti abortionists.   Why don't these people offer to open their wallets rather than their mouths.  They want to save a life but do they give finds to pay for care all the way through college.  Hell no!

Microchip scanners are about 2000 baht.   

It takes time to get pet owners to be responsible and get  their dog all the shots.   The metal tag collar requirement is so logical.  That way if your bitten they can check the dogs records and maybe save on a human rabies shot.   

I think until Buddha makes a statement that live human lives are more important than some spirit in a dog it will be hard to get rid of all the dogs. 

Rabies vaccinations are 10.000 baht at bungumrad...so 2000 for a scanner is nothing.

Hmm, 10,000 baht for vaccination at Bungunrad? Sounds like a ripoff. A dog costs 80 baht, or even free. It would be wonderful if they did ENFORCE chipping, but that's the problem, enforcement would need teeth. The only way to make it work is to round up all dogs running free, if it is chipped a call to collect your dog, otherwise 14 days to collect and pay small fine and get dog chipped before return, then destroy all dogs after 14 days.

If, as suggested, Thais would rather not chip their dog, then sorry, they do not love them. I have seen many  road accidents here caused by dogs, including a fatality. Between rabies and road accidents how many people do they kill every year?

• Like 2

can be followed by. Otherwise, the value is equal to that sheet of paper the order was printed.

I think this order cannot be followed. Partly, who knows the owner of a street dog? Who is the owner of a puppy, whose parents have masters? Thais usually have an uncounted number of dogs especially in the country, who will tell the authorities: Look I have about three dogs, maybe four, but my wife says five at least.......

On 14/03/2018 at 3:37 PM, jak2002003 said:

This is another waste of time thing that will never see the light of day, and if it does it will be totally ignored by the population at large and also the police / law enforcement people as its impossible and impractical to enforce...  such as how they will prove a cat in the street belongs to a certain person!!!!

This wins the prize as too true and the way it will be. 

• Like 1