Stopped By Police In Thailand? What You Should Do.

webfact

I had a friend of mine ask her father who is a police officer if we can ask for ID, the answer is yes. 

Do they have to show their ID? NO!

I asked a policeman for ID, he wouldn't give it to me. Wanted to give me a ticket for using the right lane which was a right turn lane. 

Ask them what law you broke and you won't get an answer unless you really did do something wrong. 

Good luck with traffic stops, just watch your stuff, watch your vehicle like a hawk. Don't let them near it unattended. 

Sad but true, but always keep a camera running. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I must be lucky . in 16 years i been stopped only 4 times and had one search on a full moon night. the officer even said he was sorry he had to do it . Only one time coming back home around 11pm police block i got ask to stop .only had the window down about 3 inches . ageing policeman said he could smell ganger . i said to him i smell BS ok go he said . I have never been asked to show my licence . 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Donotdisturb said:

Start crying like a baby moaning in your mother tongue. Fake hyperventilation. Reach for your heart and whisper w/ guttural voice: mai sabai. Start wetting yourself and wait for for the officer to tell you he is sorry and it was all just a misunderstanding. Continue your way and replace trousers! 

Why not include defecation ????

When I had a motor vehicle I always had my license and a 500 baht handy because I knew I was a target for those pieces of garbage, AKA Thai Police.  When stopped up came the Thai license first and that in most cases did the trick but if not up came the 500 baht and what do you know it worked.  Sod these Earslings, the lot of them.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Useful post - just a shame we need it.  Could you imagine in the US, UK, Singapore, Australia or New Zealand asking the Police Office to empty his pockets and check his sleeves before he performs a search?? 

..pat down the patter before he pats down the pattee.

18 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I think that’s because it most likely wouldn’t make sense. Can’t see police officers in these countries jeprodisring their careers for a few bucks. Even if the return was fairly large, they still fear being caught and being punished properly. That would be loss of job, pension and a prison sentence. 

Are hare you writing about Thailand?

Been stopped at many highway road blocks and the usual questions where you go, where you come from. what country you from. Answer questions a thank you and off I go. Never any problems from the cops. Been stopped for speeding a few times as well and only once did I pay the cop off and not recieve a ticket. 

Been stopped a few times out in the boonies and of course the obligatory photo was taken, just some friendly guys stuck out at some national park.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tandor said:

..pat down the patter before he pats down the pattee.

Talk about an excuse to escalate matters.

Sure good luck with that here and any place else.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Useful post - just a shame we need it.  Could you imagine in the US, UK, Singapore, Australia or New Zealand asking the Police Office to empty his pockets and check his sleeves before he performs a search?? 

Can you imagine doing that in Thailand.

Actually the first thing you must do is show them your laminated Passport card and photocopy  of your current visa.

Oh, you dont carry them,  ok off to the Police Station and phone a friend to get into your room and bring your Passport. Too bad if it is in the safe.

Edited by William T
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, aussienam said:

Exactly what I just did tonight!  False reasons for stopping me but I just accepted it, paid 1000 Baht and left.  No point in trying to declare injustice/corruption/extortion and other crimes.  Too easy to have fabricated evidence made against you.  

If they stopped me and I knew I had done nothing wrong, no way would they get even a satang, I would demand we go to the police station and get it sorted out.

13 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Look for a couple of hapless passing Burmese workers - point at them and say "they did it" whilst sticking a 500 in their  top pocket. :sleepy:

and how easy would it be to tell if they are actually Burmese?

9 hours ago, The manic said:

Shocking that foreign police volunteers, who were introduced to help tourists should be allowed to harass them. 

I would like to see them try it with me as we would both be speaking English.

In saying that, any experience I have had with the volunteers has been positive.

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

So whats your point ??

You say you have never paid one baht.  Yet, you admit to paying when you did something wrong?

According to most everyone, you are still contributing to corruption.  You just pick and choose when...

This being Thailand, you should also be corrupt if it will benefit you.

4 hours ago, kcpattaya said:

The BIGGEST ever nonsense ever written by "a licensed U.S. Attorney"...
Get a life!

the points he makes seem perfectly reasonable.

u ever think the story was written to gain some new clients?

there may as well be fees charged to the law firm for insertion into various online resources

3 hours ago, 55Jay said:

He didn't say why he was stopped.  Seems you're willing to give the cop the benefit of the doubt, and make the farang the bad guy by default.

You ignore conveniently the fact there are a few bent cops in this country.  And that police stops and check points can be fronts for extortion and tea money collecting for dubious reasons - especially around the end of the month. Their very existence is a catalyst and platform for corruption on a daily basis.  And in any case, a cop grabbing in through the window for your wallet, isn't "normal". 

Despite all that though, you flame the farang for contributing to corruption when he could very well have been RESISTING it!  :sleep:

Errr- so the fact he is actually breaking the law himself by not having a Thai driving licence given the time he has been here sits well with you does it?

I have a Thai driving licence, have no wife and speak no Thai. I have never had a problem at checkpoints.

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Yes have self respect... but not a fan of too much pride.  

I also have a life and for me forking over few hundred Baht and getting on with my day with no stress is more desirable than trying to fight a loosing battle and making the situation 100 times worse.. )with the fine increasing, and maybe more serious charges made up as a punishment for me daring to stand up for myself.).  Also I have better things to do with my time than hang around inside if police station with lawyers all day!!!  

What you say is all well and good, but I suggest think first and prioritise what is the best way to go.. play the game!  If it was a more serious situation, with the threat of prison, deportation or huge fines then I would fight it... but for the sake of a few hundred baht there is no reason to put yourself in danger.

You have your way, which I accept even if I don't agree with it, and I have my way. 

I will never again accept people, cops or otherwise, making false accusations against me. For me, it's not about the money, but about not bending to these crooked, lazy, useless, thieving scumbags. 

If I'm caught doing something wrong, I'll pay the fine/accept the consequences, but not if I'm innocent.

I like to look at myself in the mirror and like/respect the person I see. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Ossy said:

Count to three, bite your tongue and ask the Mrs to get B200 ready.

I was stopped a dozen times never even been asked anything, only to show my driving licence they hardly looked at it sometime they ask where you go, I answer anything and go!

But I do not deny anything my DIL a young Thai man in his twenties, he is a lorry driver every single day on the roads,  he has a big wad of 20 ฿ notes ready and has to "grease the palms" many/a few times every single day, but he told me yes 20/40 ฿ enough because sometimes from Bangkok to the south it can be 3,4,5times and he knows most of them.

In case of no infraction at all, of course, otherwise, there will be negotiations :smile:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...Third, you can ask the police officer to empty his shirt and trouser pockets and to clear anything that may be hidden up his sleeves before the search begins. This will help to alleviate concerns that he may plant some evidence against you..."

The quote above is from the full story.

Clearly the author has never been stopped by a Thai policeman. If you ask them to empty their pockets before searching you, you'll likely end up being in a VERY bad way; alleging/asserting that the cop is crooked will cause a serious loss of face and all the unpleasant consequences that entails.

I truly hope that the author wasn't paid for this garbage!

Is this from personal experience? Your academic qualifications? Garbage comes in many forms.

Edited by Benmart
Add additional words