Passenger complains of dangerously overcrowded Airport Rail Link

snoop1130

Passenger complains of dangerously overcrowded Airport Rail Link

a1.jpg

A passenger, who is a daily commuter on Bangkok’s Airport Rail Link has said the service is now so overcrowded people’s safety is at risk.

Such is amount of people trying to board each morning that many passengers unable to get on multiple trains during the morning rush hour.

Simon, who contacted Thaivisa on Tuesday, said the Airport Rail Link is so overcrowded each morning that it is “only a matter of time before someone is badly injured”.

He said that earlier this week a young boy nearly fell through the gap between the platform and train due to the sheer number of people trying to force their way onto the carriage.

a2.jpg

Simon said it was vital for passenger safety that more carriages are added so that all passengers can be catered for.

For passengers actually lucky enough to get on the train, the carriages are so crowded it is impossible to move.

For others who are left on the platform, it can sometimes take up to two hours before a train arrives with enough space to accommodate all passengers.

And it’s just as bad in the evenings.

Trying to take  the Airport Rail Link between Makkasan and Lat Krabrang at 6pm can often take two hours.

a3.jpg

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-3-14
  • Sad 1

ALL the skytrains are overloaded every day in the centre of the city...it's terrible and same goes for the subway.

My biggest fear is being in an overloaded skytrain when it breaks down in full sun high above everything...then what can we do?? Smash a window and walk over the tracks? Are those tracks under high power? 

Also at Siam it's common to wait for the next train because it's full...nothing new there. 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Well you won't be smashing a window, they are very tough. You could pull the emergency open lever on the doors but that would allow access to the tracks so the power would immediately be cut for safety. This would of course disable the train that was coming to tow you out.

Best thing to do is to wait. It will be hot but the staff (train driver) will know the situation and if an evacuation is warranted he will initiate it via the front doors.

And yes, even in Thailand the procedures are in place and practiced.

Well i remember that case of last year where that airportlink broke down and the passengers were left in it for a very long time, some even passed out...and there wasn't any help coming...if i was in that train getting cooked i sure would kick a window out...

So if we pull the emergency handle there's no more electric power on the rails, well at least we get fresh air if we do that.

Is there no rule for skytrains about maximum passengers allowed? It seems not but it's far from comfortable to be standing in a jampacked train.

Good to read about people demanding thailand to upgrade their transport and airports...so i'm not the only one who thinks it's about time to invest...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You could pull the emergency open lever on the doors but that would allow access to the tracks so the power would immediately be cut for safety.

Is that automatic, or does it require someone to take action remotely?

3 hours ago, Thian said:

Well i remember that case of last year where that airportlink broke down and the passengers were left in it for a very long time, some even passed out...and there wasn't any help coming...if i was in that train getting cooked i sure would kick a window out...

So if we pull the emergency handle there's no more electric power on the rails, well at least we get fresh air if we do that.

Is there no rule for skytrains about maximum passengers allowed? It seems not but it's far from comfortable to be standing in a jampacked train.

Good to read about people demanding thailand to upgrade their transport and airports...so i'm not the only one who thinks it's about time to invest...

Yes I was on that train, the problem was that it was so crowded, nobody could move but eventually the windows did get broken.

54 minutes ago, johnsnapo said:

Yes I was on that train, the problem was that it was so crowded, nobody could move but eventually the windows did get broken.

I would break the window within a few minutes...i won't wait for help from a thai cause i don't trust them at all....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Thian said:

If I remember right, I think they did smash a window.  

From all the over-crowding it is clear that the Skytrain, MRT and Airport links are a roaring success... 

So... the suggestion to improve upon this success by adding more carriages is somewhat of a no-brainer - this has been called for for the past couple of years.

For the life of me I can't fathom why additional carriages have not already been added to a service which is currently being run (at times) at the brink of its capacity. 

• Like 1

simon says? haha. no different to any other major city. try getting on the tube in London during rush hour or New York and yes they do break down too and in the summer with no aircon. the operator would have to radio in to the control centre to get the next 2 sections of tracks turned off in order to evacuate the train and people can walk forward to the next station with the idle train they just left being their protection. i drove the northern line for a year so have an idea how it works, at least in London. if people want to start getting off themselves then they could well end up getting electrocuted

1 minute ago, Sealbash said:

All existing platforms are long enough to accommodate additional cars

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

As I mentioned there may be signaling issues the track divided into sections by either axle counters or IRJs, Insulated Rail Joints, These are signaling sections as a train passes from section to section through a green light and red light will be behind the train. This doesn't happen in one section, the train must pass 3 or 4 sections before the light behind goes green again. So longer length train could have an impact on signaling. All platforms are longer than the train it's to allow people to get off of if the driver overshoots the stopping point

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sealbash said:

You are most likely correct. I was unaware that the trains are controlled by a driver. I thought this was all computerized

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Yes maybe they are .not really sure for BTS , but signaling issue would still be there

1 hour ago, Sealbash said:

You are most likely correct. I was unaware that the trains are controlled by a driver. I thought this was all computerized

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

i would imagine the BTS is computerized from the date it opened. still requires the operator to do things such as operate the dead mans, doors and request turn off power to rails and evacuate the train etc

• Like 1

Just now, DoctorG said:

This does not look too bad from the photos but yes, we have all experienced packed-in trains.

If you really want to get to know your fellow passengers intimately, try Tokyo or Manila. :smile:

London Underground 6-30 to 8 30-am and 16-30 to 19-00

Just now, Wiggy said:

Electrocution risk for escaping passengers on the Airport Link is low as the power supply is from overhead cables, and not a third rail.

over head power lines are still dangerous depending on the voltage and your distance from them

2 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

London Underground 6-30 to 8 30-am and 16-30 to 19-00

Yep, concede that, but I did not mention because it has been quite a while since I last experienced London. Luck of the draw really. Will you be chest to chest with a cute gal or with a smelly old fart?

Just now, DoctorG said:

Yep, concede that, but I did not mention because it has been quite a while since I last experienced London. Luck of the draw really. Will you be chest to chest with a cute gal or with a smelly old fart?

I haven't  been in London for a few years, but its always been a crush and on the Tube in summer very hot

25 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

I haven't  been in London for a few years, but its always been a crush and on the Tube in summer very hot

i went back year before last. likely hood of being crushed up next to a cute girl are far less than bkk, that i am sure of. especially if going from heathrow into central. more likely a bearded asian dude in his pajamas

• Haha 1

Problem is not overcrowding but jokers who like to stand near doors, blocking people from getting in and out of trains. Instead of putting tons of advertisements, they should put more videos and announcements teaching people to use trains correctly.

• Like 2