‘Why can’t soldiers be active in politics if people accept them?’

webfact

14d56793d930c841fb2500752608b137.jpeg

Chuan Chuchan

Amid the rush to register new political parties, one group is open to enrolling members from the military and also backs junta leader and premier General Prayut Chan-o-cha.

The Nation’s KAS CHANWANPEN speaks to Chuan Chuchan, the man who has sought registration for his party, whose name Palang Pracha Rath echoes that of the government scheme launched last year, to understand his political stance.

CAN YOU TELL US BRIEFLY ABOUT YOUR BACKGROUND?

I hail from Bangkok’s Taling Chan district. I am a farmer, a stock grower. As I helped my family with the work, I also got to go to school and managed to graduate from the Faculty of Law and Masters of Political Science from Thammasat University. In the 1990s, when I was about 40 years old, I ran for election as a member of the Palang Dharm Party led by Maj-General Chamlong Srimuang, but lost. So I changed course and developed the Khlong Lat Mayom Floating Market. I developed this community and improved it.

WHY ARE YOU RETURNING TO POLITICS?

The country has undergone some changes in the past four years under the rule of the National Council for Peace and Order [NCPO]. The new Constitution has already been promulgated and the election is going to be held soon. So, I discussed that with friends and old colleagues. These are experienced people who have been senators and members of the House of Representatives. 

We have been in politics. We thought we should come back in a new form to try to prevent the country from going back to the old vicious cycle of chaos and violence. We cannot wait anymore.

WHO ARE THE CORE LEADERS IN THE PALANG PRACHA RATH GROUP?

We now have 18 members gathered to register with the Election Commission. We’re just ordinary people. If we have high-profile people, they may have some issues and may not pass the initial qualifications. We’ll see after the registration is completed who else we have in the party.

ARE YOU AWARE THAT THE NAME OF YOUR PARTY IS IDENTICAL TO THE GOVERNMENT’S GRAND SCHEME LAUNCHED LAST YEAR? 

Yes. But Pracha Rath is not a new word or concept. We thought hard about this. We think the name represents that the people and the state must join forces. Both are equally important in bringing about new politics. 

It is the same with government policy. That is great so voters can be familiar with the name.

PEOPLE SAY YOURS IS A MILITARY PARTY. WILL THERE BE MANY MILITARY OFFICERS OR FORMER SOLDIERS IN THE PARTY?

People can say what they wish, but I want to say that so far there are no military officers joining us. We have only applied for registration. We do not have any soldiers. We don’t want to invite anyone now because they may not be sure yet.

Being a soldier is just another occupation. We don’t discriminate against them. They stage coups and are dictatorial? We cannot make such an inference. It’s not fair to them. People can be dictators regardless of their occupations. There is nothing bad about being in the military that we have to repulse them. They are not murderers. They can be in politics if people accept them.

However, we are more focused at the moment on the registration of the party name. We hope it passes and we can go on to the other steps.

HAVE YOU APPROACHED ANYONE TO JOIN YOUR PARTY?

Once the registration is done, we welcome everyone. I don’t want to invite anyone. I’ll let them decide. Not only General Prayut [Chan-o-cha], but everyone. 

WILL THIS PARTY SUPPORT GENERAL PRAYUT IN THE NEXT ELECTION?

I don’t want to answer this question. PM Prayut has not yet responded to any invitation. It is up to him. But we have to discuss the matter in the party. Maybe some members don’t like that. So, it is the best that we wait for his response. Maybe he’ll decide to join some other party. 

But I want to emphasise hate speech. Some people say we support dictatorship. This is an accusation. Is Prayut that bad? I don’t think so. We have to stop this hate speech or good people will not dare to enter politics.

HOW WILL YOU POSITION PRAYUT IN THE PARTY?

I don’t want to talk about that. He has neither accepted nor rejected the invitation. We will let him decide. And I don’t want anyone to take this issue seriously. 

WHAT DO YOU SEE IN PRAYUT THAT MAKES YOU WANT HIM IN THE PARTY?

We see his work. He has done so much, so many initiatives, the reforms. It may not be perfect but he still does a lot. Most importantly, I’m happy he has stopped the violence in the past four years.

ARE YOU AFRAID OF LOSING THE VOTES OF PEOPLE WHO DISLIKE PRAYUT?

It’s okay. It is democracy. If you don’t like him, that’s fine. Just don’t use hate speech. Instead of seeing this as him clinging to power, why don’t you see that he could continue his work. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30340941

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-15

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Being a soldier is just another occupation. We don’t discriminate against them. They stage coups and are dictatorial? We cannot make such an inference. It’s not fair to them. People can be dictators regardless of their occupations

This from a man educated at one of the top universities in the country. Showing not all education is created equal and in the wrong hands can even be dangerous

He makes the UK's Raving Monster Loony Party appear a safe bet

Prayut the Saviour and this loon where made for each other

• Like 2

I have no problem with ex-military becoming politicians but serving officers? No way. Soldiers are required to follow orders and therefore cannot vote independently in parliament.

If you are happy with a Chinese or Burmese style government then that is different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An army is there to serve their country under the control of an elected government. You can be a former toilet cleaner for all I care. Once you work for the government you work for the people. Not for some high ranking officer in the army or a CEO of some conglomerate, etc. 

Yes, I know how politics works in other countries. Let’s just stick to the story at hand. 

• Like 2

Military rule is so deeply ingrained in the Thai psyche that the "people" will likely accept anything, as long as it's green-ish yellow.

Quite honestly, the Army has ruled in Thailand, either under the specter of coups, or by "retired" Generals, far longer than any upstart politicians.

Not having the Army in charge almost seems quaint?

I think people are missing out the police officers should also not be joining politics. There are a lot more police generals involved in politics than army officers nowadays. This is one of the main reasons for all the corruption.

one of the reasons the general was accepted was that he was never going to become part of the political scene after they sorted out the problems, the army works for the govt, not is the govt. With the crap that was happening when they took over it was understandable but now it is time to let it go back to elections with the army removing itself from running the country. As stated elsewhere the army is supposed to be told what to do by the govt of the day not be the govt of the day, it would be like making a thief the bank manager, just not sensible but then when has anything done in Thailand been done sensibly. No one employed in a govt position(armed forces, police, various govt departments etc) should be able to be politicians also as its a complete conflict of interest

"Why can’t soldiers be active in politics if people accept them?"

As an ex-serviceman in the British Royal Air Force, I carried-out orders given to me from the government, routed through the chain-of-command.  There's no room for left or right extremists in any armed service.  Anybody who thinks differently is sadly mistaken, and I hope none of you have ever held a position of any kind in any armed service, or will ever do so in the future.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

First and foremost it is not their job! Why not turn the question the other way around as-

'Why can soldiers be active in politics if people don't accept them?'

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

"Why can’t soldiers be active in politics if people accept them?"

As an ex-serviceman in the British Royal Air Force, I carried-out orders given to me from the government, routed through the chain-of-command.  There's no room for left or right extremists in any armed service.  Anybody who thinks differently is sadly mistaken, and I hope none of you have ever held a position of any kind in any armed service, or will ever do so in the future.

Lol... who are you addressing?

everybody seems to agree ????

6 hours ago, webfact said:

HAVE YOU APPROACHED ANYONE TO JOIN YOUR PARTY?

... I don’t want to invite anyone. I’ll let them decide. Not only General Prayut [Chan-o-cha], but everyone. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

HOW WILL YOU POSITION PRAYUT IN THE PARTY?

I don’t want to talk about that. He has neither accepted nor rejected the invitation. We will let him decide ...

K. Chuan is speaking like a politician already.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Lol... who are you addressing?

everybody seems to agree ????

The subject of that particular sentence is, "Anybody who thinks differently", so I'm addressing anybody who thinks differently, who may have read the post, but not offered an opinion.  Is that clear enough for you?

15 hours ago, webfact said:

Why can’t soldiers be active in politics if people accept them?’

14d56793d930c841fb2500752608b137.jpeg

I don't know why Steve Buscemi is getting involved with Thai politics, however he should look no further than the last 4 years and he find the answer......