Your waist matters if you want to fly THAI Dreamliner

webfact

I once had the misfortune to be seated next to a huge man who was in the aisle seat next to me, he had to ask for an extension for his seat belt and that was still so tight that when the cabin crew were checking that everyone was wearing their belt for takeoff, they had to feel under his belly for the belt as his huge gut was hiding both the seatbelt and extension not to mention encroaching well into my seat area and over both armrests. When the cabin crew were serving drinks and snacks he was ordering multiple bags of crisps, chocolate bars and sugary drinks which prompted several remarks from nearby passengers. I remember thinking if there’s an emergency I’ll have to climb over this guy. When we landed he had to ask to other passengers to help him out of his seat as he was well and truly stuck. Several laughed and walked past making remarks that he should have been in the hold or on a cargo plane. He should have had to buy two tickets as he certainly needed the extra seating area but he paid the same as everyone else and was definitely a hazard in any emergency. Due to his size the cabin crew had concerns about his size prior to takeoff as they called for the captain to verify him fit to fly which he authorised.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Marley01 said:

55 inch waist, 132 cm

im 44 inch waist and I am a fat mongrel, anyone with a waist 19 inches more than me should have to buy 2 seats

That should read 10 inches more, see my fingers are too fat for my keyboard too

4 minutes ago, mayfairman said:

I have flown the 787 Dreamliner with Virgin, though admittedly in economy class, and I was very unimpressed. The seats are extremely uncomfortable. It’s an aeroplane that the airlines like, but passengers don’t.

As has been stated several times in this thread already:

Airlines decide on the seats that they install, not Airbus or Boeing. Seats are purchased separately and made by other companies.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cadbury said:

This is only the beginning. The next big thing will be charging air fares by passenger weight. A few airlines are already doing it. 

Absolutely fair.  Why should I have to pay excess baggage fee when fatty is packing an extra 100KG's more than me packed in his (or her) skin? 

And spilling over in to my seat, make 'em buy two economy seats if their arse is wider than the seat.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

There is nothing more relaxing, than a 14-15 hour flight, with the person next to you "spilling over" into you personal space. Airlines should charge for 2 seats, if ones excessive body size exceeds the limit for 1 seat.. Why penalize the innocent? Same process as carry-on luggage, if you can't squeeze through the cattle gate or exceed weight limits.............. :post-4641-1156693976:

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, tropo said:

No, it's absurd. Next you'll be asking for discounts because you're a super lightweight. For example, why should my wife pay the same as most normal sized Farang. Maybe she should fly for half price.

If weight allowance is a body and luggage combination maybe she will. 

11 minutes ago, mayfairman said:

I have flown the 787 Dreamliner with Virgin, though admittedly in economy class, and I was very unimpressed. The seats are extremely uncomfortable. It’s an aeroplane that the airlines like, but passengers don’t.

Totally agree--it was a huge disappointment. Flew the 787 to Japan in Economy--really cramped and could hardly move my arms to eat with passengers so close on either side.  Then got on a 777 to America--same airline but much more room and easy to compare the two as I had just been on the 787.  I'll try to avoid the 787 in the future if I can.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The no screaming kids is a definite plus.

Now, if they would just ban kids in cattle class it'd be almost a pleasant experience again.

Screaming kids seems to be a Thai problem , parents let them scream and shout esspcially in places like hallways where it echoes good

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Absolutely fair.  Why should I have to pay excess baggage fee when fatty is packing an extra 100KG's more than me packed in his (or her) skin? 

And spilling over in to my seat, make 'em buy two economy seats if their arse is wider than the seat.

If you owned an airline you'd be in trouble. You need to be sensitive to fat issues - people can take offense. Thai Airways may learn the hard way. They're not the only airline in town.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Sapporillo said:

As a naturally skinny guy, I could be all for it, but I think we should all pause and think for a moment, before we gang up against the overweight. First of all, it's just a slippery slope, because even if we can control our body weight to some extent, there are limits to it, and I'm not sure if I'm ok with discriminating against the very big today, because I don't know whose turn it will be tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow I would want the obese to stand with me against discrimination against the skinny people, but there's not much chance of that if I'm not here for them today...

Second, the seats in most airplanes are ridiculously narrow nowadays, for economy reasons, and airlines just don't seem to acknowledge that a majority of passengers don't quite fit, at least not comfortably, and certainly not for a long trip. So, instead of fitting larger seats (and making less profit), they squeeze us in kid's seat and blame the passengers for being too fat. And I think it's a little sad how everybody seems to gang up on the "fat guys"...

My third point is from personal experience: I had to take medication for over a year, and after a while I noticed that I was gaining weight without eating more than before, rather less. When I quit taking the medication, I had gained almost 20 pounds (9 kilos), even though I ate very little, sometimes not even a full meal per day (the meds also made me lose my appetite). Now I know that some people are just blessed in that respect, and some not so much (for some it doesn't take meds to gain weight easily, that's just a fact). 

Food for thought, I hope...

That's roughly me too, but I note my hips are too wide for some seats even if I were bulimic. 

1. 56 waist is huge. If you're that size, you have bigger problems than not being able to get a ticket on a few airlines. Impending death, needing a crane to remove your body and spontaneous combustion  spring to mind.
  2. A simple search of airline seatbelt length (google is amazing isn't it?), yields a picture of shorter seatbelts on many airlines. However, seatbelt extenders appear to be available to those who lack the self control to stop drinking rendered pork fat.
  3. The fact they won't accept toddlers on laps in biz class is by some distance Thai's best (maybe only) marketing ploy ever. Think it through.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JOC said:

This will not change sitting next to an obese person, or sitting between two obese persons....:coffee1:

It's business class - there's no middle seats (unless you're flying with a US airline, and even then I think it's only on domestic flights). And looking at those seats, they're pod seats anyway, which is pretty common in business class in new planes, so even the fattest person wouldn't be able to encroach on your space from their seat.

What it will mean is that the people too fat for the seatbelt will be sent to economy, if they still want to be on the flight, into a seat where they presumably still allow seatbelt extenders, and could encroach on the space of people either side.

If anything, it will make it more likely that if you're flying with Thai in economy on their 787s, that you'll get somebody encroaching on your seat when the fat person who booked business to avoid the problem gets sent to economy when the seatbelt doesn't fit.

Edited by bkk_mike
added info
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, tropo said:

If you owned an airline you'd be in trouble. You need to be sensitive to fat issues - people can take offense. Thai Airways may learn the hard way. They're not the only airline in town.

15 minutes ago, tropo said:

Guess what, I don't. So I'm not.  And no actually I dont'. And freek 'em, they'll get over it, If they don't you must be confusing me with someone who gives a ....

So, the proper way to handle this is to have a sensor on both sides of the belt, and the airbag is only armed when the two are in proximity. Extenders don't have the sensors, so the bag is disabled, which is still OK from a safety view, as its not like the people in cattle class have airbags in their belts. This is how it was on Austrian Airlines anyway.

7 hours ago, rkidlad said:

If you’re losing your hair, not your fault. 

If you’re ridiculously tall, not your fault. 

If you’re horribly overweight, it is your fault. You’re not ‘unlucky’. You are simply putting too many calories in your body and not burning enough. I’d love to be able to eat what I want when I want but I can’t. So I don’t. 

Sure, some of us are naturally more slender, etc, but these scientific laws apply to all of us. 

What about the millions of people who have thyroid or hormonal issues who cannot keep off the pounds? Serious issues for a lot of people.

Just now, duanebigsby said:

What about the millions of people who have thyroid or hormonal issues who cannot keep off the pounds? Serious issues for a lot of people.

Nonsense.  You can't make blubber out of air - you still need to consume excess food to make the fat.

If you are over 56 inches, you really shouldn't be travelling by air.  In coach you'll be stealing half of the seat next door, and in Business you are threat to your own safety. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

They are exceptions, of course.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kinnock said:

Nonsense.  You can't make blubber out of air - you still need to consume excess food to make the fat.

If you are over 56 inches, you really shouldn't be travelling by air.  In coach you'll be stealing half of the seat next door, and in Business you are threat to your own safety. 

My statement wasn't meant to suggest obese people shouldn't pay for two seats, it was in response to the idea that obesity is always their fault.

1 hour ago, side said:
  1. 56 waist is huge. If you're that size, you have bigger problems than not being able to get a ticket on a few airlines. Impending death, needing a crane to remove your body and spontaneous combustion  spring to mind.
  2. A simple search of airline seatbelt length (google is amazing isn't it?), yields a picture of shorter seatbelts on many airlines. However, seatbelt extenders appear to be available to those who lack the self control to stop drinking rendered pork fat.
  3. The fact they won't accept toddlers on laps in biz class is by some distance Thai's best (maybe only) marketing ploy ever. Think it through.

Views such as these are somewhat hypocritical among holders that drink or smoke.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

The world and all its sensitive precious little snowflakes taking offense on every little atom in the universe need a hard way for sure. I'd suggest a proper boot camp, Full Metal Jacket style. Make a man or a trucker lesbian out of them yet.

• Confused 1