Abhisit warns: social media is all-powerful but has a downside

rooster59

By The Nation

e7afccbd806a4a673bb54cbd9e4c812b.jpeg

Courtesy of Chavarong Limpattamapanee.

SOCIAL MEDIA will become a new battleground during the build-up to the next election as it has the power to direct political agendas and mobilise supporters.

However, it is a double-edged sword as it reaches people fast and can arouse their emotions, rather than critical thinking, a seminar on social media and politics was told yesterday.

The seminar, Social Media and Changes of Thai politics, organised by Isra Institute’s media executive class, saw notable political experts and Democratic party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva exchange views on the power of social media in shaping Thai politics.

Abhisit said the role of social media could be observed both now, when no election is not yet in sight, and in the lead-up to February next year, when the election is expected to be held.

He said he expected social media to play a greater role in shaping people’s thinking as the election neared, because politics was about the battle between different schools of thought.

By the time of the election there will be around five or six million new voters and the social media they have grown up with would become the new battleground for campaigning, said the former PM.

Among the participants in this contest will be new technology such as Facebook Live, and politicians will need to think hard which tools they should adopt in order to best reach voters.

Abhisit said those using social media should nevertheless be careful because content disseminated online would reach people too fast to be screened properly.

Atukkit Sawangsuk, a noted columnist, agreed with Abhisit, saying social media was powerful but lacked systematic processes to help control contents. Political messages delivered through social media at present were scattered and lacked direction, he said, prompting emotions to be aroused rather than people’s intellects.

This, he said, was dangerous as issues and solutions would be driven by emotion rather than facts, and authoritarianism would be sought more and more to quickly end issues of the day.

However, when social media is used to keep political office holders and high-profile personalities in check that is when it is at its most useful, they agreed.

Prinya Thaewanarumitkul, a law expert and vice rector of Thammasat University, said social media had provided equal access and freedom for people to communicate. Everyday people can suddenly have equal power, he said, citing the case of the CSI LA Facebook Page, which exposed the luxury watches seen on Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan’s wrist on various occasions. 

Prinya also noted that social media could be used to help shape policies that people wished to see.

It’s what he called a smart democracy, having only a mobile phone to introduce their political wills and needs, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30341163

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-18

13 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

social media is all-powerful but has a downside

Agreed. One big downside is that unfortunately some people might start sharing again on social media the clip of a certain BBC interview.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

It is funny, but when I saw this headline I wasn't really thinking much about the power of social media; that is well-known and well-discussed.

What struck me is how diminished Abhisit is. Is there anyone who saw his name attached to the article and thought "Hmm I wonder what he has to say?". Is there anyone who really believes that he is going to be a player in future Thai politics? Is there anyone who sees him as a "Prime Minister in Waiting"?

How the appointed have fallen...

• Like 1

"Political messages delivered through social media at present were scattered and lacked direction, he said, prompting emotions to be aroused rather than people’s intellects."

Seems more like a comment on Politicians than social media.

• Like 2

Well he would say that wouldn't he?  he has never been popular and his inherent weakness is exposed at every turn including his SILENCE regarding the Junta.

Those who FEAR transparency and debate, through whatever medium, have something to hide and in Abhisit's case it is inaction, inertia and inability.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, YetAnother said:

critical thinking is not a viable option in the great bulk of thai individuals

Oh I am sure that they would be more than prepared to indulge in it, it is simply not an option, at present open to them, other perhaps than through "social media".

The ruling political dinosaurs, of whom Abhisit is a youthful example (if that is not a contradiction!) are, as yet, unable to figure out how to stop that. If they do, rest assured that Abhisit will roll over and accept that. After all, when a fellow wants a job...

As ever, he is so "flexible" that you never know what his actual position on anything is.

Edited by JAG

11 hours ago, bannork said:

But he won't resign as leader of The Democrats. How many elections does a party leader have to lose before calling it quits?

Has anyone indicated they want Abhisits job because I think the guy would gladly give it away.

What Abhisit really said.......

"I am wetting my pants, because the new political wizard Thanathorn (the auto-part billionaire) is so good at using social media...."

Edited by JOC