Still Confused About Registration Thailand

As a rule of thumb expect something near 25000 Baht  per year for road tax, compulsory insurance, and first class insurance for a 1500 cc car. First class is about18,000+ but highly recommended for the peace of your mind. Discounts come with years without claim.

8 minutes ago, hkt83100 said:

As a rule of thumb expect something near 25000 Baht  per year for road tax, compulsory insurance, and first class insurance for a 1500 cc car. First class is about18,000+ but highly recommended for the peace of your mind. Discounts come with years without claim.

That's about what we pay for 4 door 2.5 pickup.

Do you have the blue book for your vehicle?  If so then near the back there will be a list of all the yearly road tax  payments that have previously been made on the vehicle.

The annual tax on my four year old Vios is 1,645 baht and first class insurance is about 12,000 baht with a small discount for having a dash cam. 

15 minutes ago, johng said:

For my  "ancient"   Toyota Soluna 1.5

Tax 835 baht,

Insurance 640 baht (only compulsory insurance)

MOT  (yearly vehicle inspection ) 260 baht

That's a typical example.

If the car would be new, the tax would be double the amount.

(tax decreases from the 5th year on down to 50%).

Our age old Vios is 822 Baht (1496 ccm).

New it was 1644 Baht.

Compulsory insurance for that is

600 Baht + 3 Baht "stamps" + VAT = 645.21 Baht.

Of course, as others wrote, it is recommended to have at least an additional insurance for 3rd party damage.

And that can easy be a 5 digit number.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

For completeness:

decreasing displacement based tax formula applies to personal cars and four door pickups (which are taxed equally).

Two (1/2) door pickups (green on white plate) are taxed as utility vehicles.

Tax based on empty weight and unchanged over lifetime.

For typical pickups:

1251 to 1500 kg = 900 Baht

1501 to 1750 kg = 1050 Baht

Edited by KhunBENQ
added tax based on weight
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

(which are taxed equally).

Ummm unless I am not reading you correctly ....... My 4 door pick up was 4,808 baht new and last year (6 years old) 3,800ish?

As per your Vois example a 4/5 door small saloon significantly cheaper - I paid 1,263 baht for a Swift 2 years ago. 

2 minutes ago, topt said:

Ummm unless I am not reading you correctly ....... My 4 door pick up was 4,808 baht new and last year (6 years old) 3,800ish?

As per your Vois example a 4/5 door small saloon significantly cheaper - I paid 1,263 baht for a Swift 2 years ago. 

Why did you omit information from the post you quoted?

" decreasing displacement based tax formula applies to personal cars and four door pickups "

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Why did you omit information from the post you quoted?

" decreasing displacement based tax formula applies to personal cars and four door pickups "

Because I was not querying that point but that cars and trucks are taxed equally - and as I said at the start of my reply 

11 minutes ago, topt said:

Ummm unless I am not reading you correctly

34 minutes ago, topt said:

And where is the problem?

You have a 4 door pickup with a displacement of 2477 ccm ("2.5").

Tax for the first 5 years is 4808 Baht exactly.

Tax for the 7th year should be 3846.4 Baht (-20%).

10% decrease per year.

After 10 years you pay 2404 Baht.

Exact same if you had a "2.5" limousine (2477).

Edited by KhunBENQ

Repetition never harms.

Tax based on displacement for new car:

First            600 ccm:                0.5 Baht/ccm

Following   601 to 1800 ccm: 1.5 Baht/ccm

Following 1801 to 2100 ccm: 4 Baht/ccm

That makes quite a "steep increase" from 1801 ccm onward.

56 minutes ago, topt said:

Yes of course.

Less displacement, less tax.

1263 Baht relates to 1242 ccm.

Our old VIOS is 1496 ccm (-> 1644 Baht new).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Repetition never harms.

Tax based on displacement for new car:

First            600 ccm:                0.5 Baht/ccm

Following   601 to 1800 ccm: 1.5 Baht/ccm

Following 1801 to 2100 ccm: 4 Baht/ccm

That makes quite a "steep increase" from 1801 ccm onward.

Yes of course.

Less displacement, less tax.

1263 Baht relates to 1242 ccm.

Our old VIOS is 1496 ccm (-> 1644 Baht new).

Thanks I was not aware that was how it was worked out. :thumbsup:

On 18/03/2018 at 7:33 AM, Dmaxdan said:

Do you have the blue book for your vehicle?  If so then near the back there will be a list of all the yearly road tax  payments that have previously been made on the vehicle.

The annual tax on my four year old Vios is 1,645 baht and first class insurance is about 12,000 baht with a small discount for having a dash cam. 

Regarding your discount for the dash cam, I was looking to do the same. Then the question was raised.........sod's law gets involved.............what happens if the dash cam is not operating at the time of a collision that is not your fault? Your word against the other person. This was raised by the person selling the insurance and I consider it a valid point. Any thoughts?

Regarding your discount for the dash cam, I was looking to do the same. Then the question was raised.........sod's law gets involved.............what happens if the dash cam is not operating at the time of a collision that is not your fault? Your word against the other person. This was raised by the person selling the insurance and I consider it a valid point. Any thoughts?

This is something that also crossed my mind. I didn't ask for the discount, the insurance rep just applied it after she'd checked my camera was functioning and took a photo of it. The discount was only 500 baht so I guess if it did fail on you at the worst possible moment then it's not going to make too much difference to your claim.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

This is something that also crossed my mind. I didn't ask for the discount, the insurance rep just applied it after she'd checked my camera was functioning and took a photo of it. The discount was only 500 baht so I guess if it did fail on you at the worst possible moment then it's not going to make too much difference to your claim.

But would it invalidate your insurance? I declined the discount because of the uncertainty.

But would it invalidate your insurance? I declined the discount because of the uncertainty.

I honestly can't say for certain, but I wouldn't think so. The end of the day you have still paid the insurance premium bar a tiny discount. It's not like they are giving you 50 percent off for this. Dash cams have a playback feature so it's easy to check regularly to make sure it's functioning correctly.

My yearly registration cost for a 1989 3-litre Benz is 3374 baht in Chiang Mai. It was double that when the car was in Bangkok - don't ask me why, TIT.

There is a cheaper form of insurance for older cars, ranging from 6500 - 10,000 baht /year. Covers one for damage to other vehicles, but you only get half the market value of the car in an accident. So a Benz with a market value of 360,000 baht is only covered for 180,000 baht.