Sony Vaio - To Buy In Bangkok Or Tokyo?

listenup

Unless you buy it at tourist-only duty-free shops not catering local consumers, not only it'll come with Japanese version Windows but also Japanese JIS standard keyboard (instead of familiar ASCII keyboard). And duty-free shops in Japan don't offer competitive prices. If you don't mind Japanese spec VAIO they are generally much cheaper than in Thailand.

If you go to Tokyo,go to Akihabara.It's the centre for elecrical goods superstores.

Plcaes like LAOX have duty free stores,etc.

Make sure you get an English speaking salesperson!!!

And as mentioned before,ask for an English version operating system!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(They have many).

The Viao I bought from them is a multi voltage worldwide model,so no problems with that.

Some good advice here - thanks.

I've had a Sony Vaio for 2 years now and have never had a problem, surely if you have a problem the guarantee covers it?

The reason I'm going for a Vaio is the model (SZ) I want is super light weight - 1.6kg

Operating system shouldn't be a problem - I've read on the net that some shops offer an English version. What about the costs from each city? Where is cheaper?

Also, If I buy from Tokyo, will the keyboard have Japanese keys mixed with English?

I guess I have to weight up the costs. I've seen one on Ebay UK that looks like a good deal, but then I would have to sort out shipping - Will that create any problems?

Thanks guys!

Also, If I buy from Tokyo, will the keyboard have Japanese keys mixed with English?

All alphabet key positions on JIS keyboard are aligned the same way as ASCII keyboard (roman letters silk screened alongside Japanese Hiragana letters on each keys, just like Thai keyboards). Space bar is usually smaller (narrower). You'll probably find apostrophe " ' " key position (shift + 7) most bothersome. I have three apple notebooks that I brought from Japan. They all came with JIS keyboard but you can order ASCII keyboard by BTO through online apple store in Japan, perhaps you can do the same thing with Sony's sony style online store (you might need someone to help read Japanese), but then direct sales price usually isn't cheap. I'm not sure about the windows machines but with apple I can configure the keyboard key position exactly the same as ASCII keyboard, but then the letters on keys don't correspond with what you input hitting them so you have to have blind touch typing skill.

See this link for how a typical JIS keyboard looks like.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/JIS%E3%82%AD%...%83%BC%E3%83%89

If you'll buy it in Japan, make sure you'll get exactly the same model that's sold in Thailand or you won't be able to receive any service when machine is in trouble (irrespective of if or not the warranty is valid in Thailand). Believe NEC and Fujitsu offer some domestic models that can be serviced overseas or else have warranty package that includes cost of shipping to Japan for service.

Edited by Nordlys

Hi all,

Has anybody been to Tokyo and bought a lap-top? Any advice?

I want to up-grade my lap-top and with a visit to Tokyo next month, I would like your opinions on whether buying in Tokyo will be cheaper than Bangkok.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Buy it where it is going to be used. There is no price fluctuation big enough (if any) between US, Tokyo or BKK to justify the worries about power plugs, japanese/thai keyboard, manuals in japanese/thai, operating system version, validity of warranty, stickers on the belly in jp/thai....

If you are talking upgrading parts, then BKK. The labour there is skilled and cheap and they will fit it all for you.

One thing, Narita duty free is not cheaper than retail in the city. Contrary, my camera at Yodobashi Shinjuku was 400$. At Narita, duty free it was 440$. No competition at the airport and many people in transit could be thinking "that's it, it is duty free". Even if they gave something extra, the price should not surpass the retail price.

I have never bought one single thing in Tokyo or BKK to take it to the other place. Never found the prices significantly different. To buy a laptop in Tokyo for use in Thai, it has to be 30+ % cheaper. It is not, not even 0,003%.

I concur with several of the posters, don't buy Sony, don't lock yourself into their proprietary and inferior technology just because it looks nice.

Iam with Phill on this,

if you are looking for light weight good battery life good system etc go for the IBM thinkpad blows everything i have ever had out of the water and i think it is a lot cheaper than the sony.

I am on my 4th Personal Laptop.

Asus > Fujitsu > sony Vaio > sony Vaio > and I think in another few years I will get a sony Vaio again.

I travel Regularly - my lap top back gets knocked, banged and the build quality of the sony is good enough to withstand the relative battering it gets.

I have used an estimated 10 other brands of Laptop while working for various clients. . i.e. IBM, Dell, Toshiba, Compaq. All were ok, but I would still spend the extra for the piece of mind Sony gives me in its build quality. Reading the other posts, perhaps I am lucky having had no problems with both Sonys I have owned. Given the choice I'd buy another.

However, I’d like to add that I also rate Fujitsu laptops.

If those knocking the Sony laptops are doing so from experience of ownership, then fair enough, but I’d not be talking any advice from those who just like to throw opinion down based on a whim.

Some good advice here - thanks.

I've had a Sony Vaio for 2 years now and have never had a problem, surely if you have a problem the guarantee covers it?

The reason I'm going for a Vaio is the model (SZ) I want is super light weight - 1.6kg

Operating system shouldn't be a problem - I've read on the net that some shops offer an English version. What about the costs from each city? Where is cheaper?

I guess I have to weight up the costs. I've seen one on Ebay UK that looks like a good deal, but then I would have to sort out shipping - Will that create any problems?

Thanks guys!

Hi,

Like you I have never had problems with VAIOs and I have had 5 up to know, still have 3 of them no problem. However always brought mine in as handbaggage as postage, even DHL or the like may result in damage. More than that you will almost certainly face an import duty. When I have imported some smaller stuff I have been fortunate to have to pay only 10% import duty but electronics is normally levied at 30% plus of course 7% VAT. That may well take the shine of things a bit.

When I buy my next one though I shall buy here in BKK as at the current exchange rate it is as cheap, if not slightly less than UK and if you buy from a Sony Centre you can get international warranty.

guess you don't know where I can get a Thai/English keyboard for my VAIO' s?

Hope it helps,

Dave

I have had an HP, a Fujitsu and a Dell, and am currently using an ASUS L5 series, on its 4th year of almost continuous use.

I have not checked the market lately, but if ASUS have managed to keep their quality up to the same standards as this L5, I know what I am getting next.

Sony make very stylish machines, so I can understand the attraction. Personally I have a problem with their proprietary solutions and anti-copy systems and would probably buy something else for this reason.

My first choice would be Dell, followed by Toshiba, Alienware and the last option being Acer. Would never throw myself into buying anything else. Had a very, very bad experience witha Fujitsu and anotherone with a Sony, never again.

Never, I repeat never ever buy any big ticket items in Thailand. It is all junk. It doesn't matter what the brand name says, chances are it is bootleg or taken apart and junk parts installed. My 1st 2 years here I bought: 17 inch flat screen LG monitor....dead in a year, minolta digi cam.....bootleg garbage, compaq laptop.....overpaid by 50% over US prices. Oh I did get a 15 inch monitor by philips that still works after 3 years (miracle),,paid 11K for that. All other stuff junk and overpriced. Avoid purchases here at all costs

I bought a Video cam at duty free in Narita that was on deal. I noticed regular prices were outrageous there. The cam was the quality you would expect from Jap products, very good. I got it home to US and noticed that it did not have the charger. Why did I not check this I thought. I emailed the duty free shop. They promptly mailed me the adapter no questions asked free of charge. You think a Thai shop would do this? roflmfao

Never, I repeat never ever buy any big ticket items in Thailand. It is all junk. It doesn't matter what the brand name says, chances are it is bootleg or taken apart and junk parts installed. My 1st 2 years here I bought: 17 inch flat screen LG monitor....dead in a year, minolta digi cam.....bootleg garbage, compaq laptop.....overpaid by 50% over US prices. Oh I did get a 15 inch monitor by philips that still works after 3 years (miracle),,paid 11K for that. All other stuff junk and overpriced. Avoid purchases here at all costs

Well, that usually happend when you are buying Compaq as for the LG, well, LG was a joke until 1 or 2 years ago. Had bought a lot of things here and all working perfect, Sony camera, Toshiba notebook, a new desktop, everything works fine...

• 5 months later...