Hero charity boss who reunited snatched girl with her mum is banged up in Thai jail

webfact

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

I am just sorry to read the decay of intelligence. Didn´t you see the underlying meaning with my expression related to the news article, then I can only feel sorry for you.

The decay of intelligence you refer to consists of making a statement which is open to more than one interpretation.

I feel sorry for anyone who takes themselves so seriously they can't recognise a leg-pull.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, greenchair said:

He's not been convicted, confiscation of his passport is standard. The child is British. She'll end up a hooker on a pole before she is 16 if she remains here. 

Half cast children with only the Thai parent, are not accepted and don't do well in Thailand. The man had full custody by the courts of the child. The mother abducted her illegally. 

"She'll end up a hooker on a pole before she is 16 if she remains here. 

Half cast children with only the Thai parent, are not accepted and don't do well in Thailand".

Geez...don't some people talk absolute b ollocks?  Why do you choose to use a derogatory term such as half-caste when you can't even spell it?  Do you know what it means?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a confusing story, it states that these two guys were arrested at Bangkok Airport, but it doesn't make clear whether they were entering or leaving Thailand (I may have missed this).

Then the story goes on to say they were both accused of trespass which would indicate they were not arrested on entry but on attempting to depart.

All very confusing

22 hours ago, seajae said:

who has legal custody of the child,  the mother or father, lot of info not included in this so its a bit hard to see who is the one at fault. If the father has been granted legal custody and  the mother abducted the child then she should be in jail, again really poor reporting but what can we expect

The problem is you are taken away a child out of the authority of the parent. (Even if the parent is wrong. Then your action is more wrong)

For an outstander as well and insider this is is emotionally difficult to understand.

22 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

He needed to domesticate the UK custody order in Thailand.  There's no reciprocity treaty as Thailand is not a member of the Hague Convention (due to being on the wrong side in WW2).  He would probably need to go through a child custody court trial in Thailand.  Instead, he took a shortcut commonly known as "parental kidnapping".  There's no self-help remedy for recovering a child in a country that hasn't recognized your legal custody.  No bail for you and no sympathy from me.

Agreed, something tells me that nice guy Sean didn't do his homework.

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

They were attempting to leave, having taken the boy, and his passport, from his mother's family's home, without permission.

Having spoken with the mother a few times, I am a little concerned that her hopes are rather unrealistic. She claims the father was happy for her take the boy for a holiday and her sister's wedding in December. She didn't return to Scotland as planned as the boy sustained a nasty leg injury on a motorbike. The boy has now missed a lot of school and she has lost her job. Had the father not taken the action he did, it is my belief that mother and son would have returned to Scotland a couple of months later than planned, and this mess could have been avoided.

She still is planning to return to Scotland. I'm not sure what legal consequences she may face if she does, especially if the father remains in prison in Thailand.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I think you may be a little biased in your take on this case due to your prior relationship with the mother. Let's say she took the boy for the wedding/holiday ,fine , we can say it was ok for her to do it's is her son. But do you think a court in UK would grant him custody if he did not prove that he had had no contact from her or son  since she left?  No contact to his school saying when he would return?  If serious injury on motorbike why wasn't the father informed or contacted for money or insurance contact  or even sent back to UK for proper treatment?   You say she planned to return, did she honestly think they would hold her job indefinitely if she did not give the job an idea of when or if she would be returning?   You seem to be a little naive and believe her stories as the Gospel truth.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I think you may be a little biased in your take on this case due to your prior relationship with the mother. Let's say she took the boy for the wedding/holiday ,fine , we can say it was ok for her to do it's is her son. But do you think a court in UK would grant him custody if he did not prove that he had had no contact from her or son  since she left?  No contact to his school saying when he would return?  If serious injury on motorbike why wasn't the father informed or contacted for money or insurance contact  or even sent back to UK for proper treatment?   You say she planned to return, did she honestly think they would hold her job indefinitely if she did not give the job an idea of when or if she would be returning?   You seem to be a little naive and believe her stories as the Gospel truth.

Yes, as she's my friend (or was) I'm biased and I have no idea whether she's telling me the truth. I believe the court made the custody decision before they left the UK. Where she may well be being disingenuous is saying that the father was "happy" with her taking him on holiday to Thailand. However he only reacted in the way he did, after they didn't return as expected. 

I certainly don't believe everything she says; I'm just reporting what she says.

Obviously she realises she has lost her job by not returning to work as agreed, and I expect she has informed the school, or at least the father's family have.

The foot/ankle injury was nasty but treated locally. She is proudly self-sufficient so no reason to ask the father for money, especially under their estranged circumstances.

• Sad 1

Given the harsh treatment now being received by Mr.Smith and Mr. Felton for either abduction or trespassing charges, I only guess there may be some non-mitigating circumstances involved that have not been reported in the UK Press.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

They were attempting to leave, having taken the boy, and his passport, from his mother's family's home, without permission.

Having spoken with the mother a few times, I am a little concerned that her hopes are rather unrealistic. She claims the father was happy for her take the boy for a holiday and her sister's wedding in December. She didn't return to Scotland as planned as the boy sustained a nasty leg injury on a motorbike. The boy has now missed a lot of school and she has lost her job. Had the father not taken the action he did, it is my belief that mother and son would have returned to Scotland a couple of months later than planned, and this mess could have been avoided.

She still is planning to return to Scotland. I'm not sure what legal consequences she may face if she does, especially if the father remains in prison in Thailand.

Sounds like the mother is spinning a fairy tale.  I think the information reported by the media, about the father not allowing her to travel abroad with the child (which may or may not have been warranted), but the mother still taking the child abroad without permission, and then not giving the father any way to contact the child or knowing how his son is, sounds more plausible.  

Had the father thought the mother would return with his son soon, he may not have taken the action he did.  As it was, it seems he had no way of knowing if that woman would ever come back with his son, and thus acted how he did.  In hindsight, the shit really hit the fan for him and this other fella helping him and I'm sure they would have done things differently.

I'm not sure exactly what charges are holding the father and the other gentleman in prison, but I think it's a sure thing that the charges are brought on by the mother, as afaik, she's the only one who can claim there was anything illegal in what the father did.   I think it's also a good bet that the reason they are still in prison is that the mother is refusing to drop the charges.

Edited by Awk
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, connda said:

Pardon me, but that was a decision of the court of the State in which I resided at the time.  I had one of the best family law attorneys in the county.  The choice to place my daughter with my ex-wife was the sole responsibility of the court system.  So if you have a problem mate about me "doing the right thing", aim that BS opinion at the US judicial system.  I did what I could.  It was completely out of my hands. I bear no responsibly for the court's stupidity.
I regained custody of her at 11 years old, and spent the next 7 years attempting to give her back a childhood.  For the most part, I succeeded.  To her own credit, my kid was a survivor and had some incredibly well-developed social skills. To this day, I'm extremely proud of her.

I applaud your patience, control and determination during what must have been a frustrating and difficult very long ten years. Glad to hear that it worked out well for you and your daughter eventually. This happens all too often, and not all have a good outcome for the child. All the best.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Awk said:

<snip>
I'm not sure exactly what charges are holding the father and the other gentleman in prison, but I think it's a sure thing that the charges are brought on by the mother, as afaik, she's the only one who can claim there was anything illegal in what the father did.   I think it's also a good bet that the reason they are still in prison is that the mother is refusing to drop the charges.

'Lotta clout that girl must have living the last 10 years in the UK.

22 hours ago, greenchair said:

He's not been convicted, confiscation of his passport is standard. The child is British. She'll end up a hooker on a pole before she is 16 if she remains here. 

Half cast children with only the Thai parent, are not accepted and don't do well in Thailand. The man had full custody by the courts of the child. The mother abducted her illegally. 

i dont disagree with anything your saying, but someone did not like what he was doing or he would not be in jail.

'Lotta clout that girl must have living the last 10 years in the UK.

Not sure what that means. All I know is that she took full advantage of living in the UK, went to college, got qualified, worked at golf clubs and then in hotel management. I think she may now have dual nationality. Unfortunately she's most likely jeopardised everything now.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2018 at 5:57 PM, zaphod reborn said:

He needed to domesticate the UK custody order in Thailand.  There's no reciprocity treaty as Thailand is not a member of the Hague Convention (due to being on the wrong side in WW2).

How wrong can you be, yes Thailand is a member of the Hague Convention.

https://www.ag.gov.au/FamiliesAndMarriage/Families/InternationalFamilyLaw/Pages/HagueConventionOnTheCivilAspectsOfInternationalChildAbduction.aspx

"The enactment of the International Civil Cooperation on the Breach of Rights of Custody Act, B.E. 2555 (2012), also known as the Thailand Child Abduction Act, on April 9, 2013, provides a legal platform to support the intentions of the Hague Abduction Convention."

http://www.tilleke.com/resources/thailand-child-abduction-act-legal-recourse-parents

"(due to being on the wrong side in WW2)." I guess that Germany, Japan and Italy were on the right side then, seeing as they are also members.

Edited by pearciderman
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Not sure what that means. <snip>

It meant that I guess there is a lot more going on here than just the mother filing charges and I would also guess a lot of it has to do with Mr. Felton's involvement.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:58 PM, connda said:

Pardon me, but that was a decision of the court of the State in which I resided at the time.  I had one of the best family law attorneys in the county.  The choice to place my daughter with my ex-wife was the sole responsibility of the court system.  So if you have a problem mate about me "doing the right thing", aim that BS opinion at the US judicial system.  I did what I could.  It was completely out of my hands. I bear no responsibly for the court's stupidity.
I regained custody of her at 11 years old, and spent the next 7 years attempting to give her back a childhood.  For the most part, I succeeded.  To her own credit, my kid was a survivor and had some incredibly well-developed social skills. To this day, I'm extremely proud of her.

No disrespect, but your "best family law attorney" didn't do a very good job then, did he?