1 year Education Visa and personal goods import

I have done some searching on the forum and via Google regarding duty free import of personal goods into Thailand with a 1 year ED Visa. I did find some information but it does seem conflicting and maybe a little out dated (2010)

The information I found stated that some people have had to pay substantial import duty whereas others had their shipments come through customs unmolested and/or with minimal duties payable.

From what I can understand from the Thai customs page is that a work permit is required. On further research a couple of people have stated their 1 year ED Visa was accepted. A little confusing.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of either the process involved and/or if a 1 year ED Visa will be accepted for duty free import.

Also, if I will be charged import duties what are people’s experiences with amounts payable? I understand it’s a case of ‘how long is a piece of string’ but I’m curious as to the amounts that have been expected in the past.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

To get duty free entry of you goods you have to be working with a work permit.

See this page on the customs website. http://en.customs.go.th/content.php?ini_content=individuals_151007_02&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individuals_151007_02

Thank you for the link and the clarification UJ. 

I’ll be importing a desktop computer with racing cockpit, steering wheel, pedals, 3 x monitors, clothes, shoes and some linen. Here’s hoping I don’t get smashed by an over zealous customs officer. From what I’ve found so far the largest amount of duty paid has been around 70Kthb for a 20’ container packed with power tools and the like. If I can keep my duties around or under that figure I’ll be extremely happy as replacing my PC set-up will be around 800Kthb.

6 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

From what I’ve found so far the largest amount of duty paid has been around 70Kthb for a 20’ container packed with power tools and the like. If I can keep my duties around or under that figure I’ll be extremely happy as replacing my PC set-up will be around 800Kthb.

The duty paid will depend upon the customs agent you hire to do the import of your shipment.

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The duty paid will depend upon the customs agent you hire to do the import of your shipment.

I am planning on using Seven Seas as they do door-to-door for a reasoble price, they have a lot of experience shipping to Thailand from Aus and they have great reviews  online while also being recommended by many people on this forum. Would you have any knowledge regarding this particular freighter UJ?

18 minutes ago, overherebc said:

This might sound strange but I doubt very much if your cockpit set up would ever appear on your doorstep.

Anecdotal or actual first hand knowledge regarding theft? It will be insured with the freight company for a door-to-door service so if anything goes awol it should be covered.

25 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

Anecdotal or actual first hand knowledge regarding theft? It will be insured with the freight company for a door-to-door service so if anything goes awol it should be covered.

Electrical goods are the ones that get most attention on the way in. The more expensive they look the more interest is paid to them.

If it's something electrical you can do without or can replace it here go for that option.

If it's something you feel you must have here then be prepared to get involved in a lot of haggling and time wasting.

I sold everything electrical in UK and shipped only things that were personal and not replacable.

All was listed by the company who boxed it and even then the first 'ask' was 50,000 ??. Two metre by 1 by 1 metre box.

I just said ok I'll ship it back, I'll call the company to take it back to UK as that's cheaper.

Came down to 5000 and I had it delivered.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

Thank you for the link and the clarification UJ. 

I’ll be importing a desktop computer with racing cockpit, steering wheel, pedals, 3 x monitors, clothes, shoes and some linen. Here’s hoping I don’t get smashed by an over zealous customs officer. From what I’ve found so far the largest amount of duty paid has been around 70Kthb for a 20’ container packed with power tools and the like. If I can keep my duties around or under that figure I’ll be extremely happy as replacing my PC set-up will be around 800Kthb.

Unless you're talking about a crypto-rig, never heard of a 'PC' worth 800k baht.

If it is indeed a crypto rig, tread carefully - definitely a customs magnet.

1 hour ago, varun said:

Unless you're talking about a crypto-rig, never heard of a 'PC' worth 800k baht.

If it is indeed a crypto rig, tread carefully - definitely a customs magnet.

No, nothing to do with crypto. 

Just a high end end gaming rig with a bunch of other peripherals & controllers.

EE1E51C2-1104-4017-A31B-CAE8802EE806.jpeg

32DA4B17-071E-4815-A612-B07E87F2129E.jpeg

0DA1F0BE-8610-4681-A2D4-D680C2842853.jpeg

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Electrical goods are the ones that get most attention on the way in. The more expensive they look the more interest is paid to them.

If it's something electrical you can do without or can replace it here go for that option.

If it's something you feel you must have here then be prepared to get involved in a lot of haggling and time wasting.

I sold everything electrical in UK and shipped only things that were personal and not replacable.

All was listed by the company who boxed it and even then the first 'ask' was 50,000 ??. Two metre by 1 by 1 metre box.

I just said ok I'll ship it back, I'll call the company to take it back to UK as that's cheaper.

Came down to 5000 and I had it delivered.

Haggling & time wasting is not much of a concern tbh, I really don’t plan on having much to do or anywhere pressing to be on arrival 55. 

If a bit of extra back & forth is required I wouldn’t have an issue with that. 

I would just prefer to not have to go to the considerable trouble and expense of having to replace my already considerable monetary outlay as the resale value and difficulty of piecing it out wouldn’t really be worth my time. 

note: Where were you shipping from and with who? Feel free to PM if you have the time, thank you.

Edited by MadMuhammad

57 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

Haggling & time wasting is not much of a concern tbh, I really don’t plan on having much to do or anywhere pressing to be on arrival 55. 

If a bit of extra back & forth is required I wouldn’t have an issue with that. 

I would just prefer to not have to go to the considerable trouble and expense of having to replace my already considerable monetary outlay as the resale value and difficulty of piecing it out wouldn’t really be worth my time. 

note: Where were you shipping from and with who? Feel free to PM if you have the time, thank you.

Local company in UK a good few years ago so really can't remember, sorry.

• Like 1

OP… be prepared for a (very) shock.

Sorry, but if you’re on an Ed Visa you will not qualify for importing your personal possessions duty free into Thailand.

FYI… Thai Customs Officers are paid a basic salary, plus a percentage of the duty that they collect – call it an incentive scheme, so it’s in their interest to ‘screw’ you for as much as they can.  Regardless of the value that you, or the shipping company, may put down on the weighbill, Thai Customs will always work on the as new list price of the items, or their best estimate (which is always high) if the items are not in their database.

Thailand import duty of computer items is currently charged at the rate of 40% based upon Cost + Insurance + Freight (CIF).

You have indicated in your post that your set up is valued at 800K Baht to cover in case of loss/damage for insurance purposes.

Let’s assume your insurance cost is say 10K Baht, and your freight cost is say 50K Baht.

Import Duty payable:  (800,000 + 10,000 + 50,000) @ 40% = 344,000 Baht

On top of the Import Duty you will need to pay a Transaction Fee currently 1,550 Baht

You will also have to pay Value Added Tax (VAT) @ 7% on the Import Duty + Transaction Fee.

VAT:  (344,000 + 1,550) @ 7% = 24,188 Baht.

Total Duty payable:  Import Duty + Transaction Fee + VAT = 369,738 Baht.  OUCH!!!

Good Luck

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

Sorry, but if you’re on an Ed Visa you will not qualify for importing your personal possessions duty free into Thailand.

FYI… Thai Customs Officers are paid a basic salary, plus a percentage of the duty that they collect – call it an incentive scheme, so it’s in their interest to ‘screw’ you for as much as they can.  Regardless of the value that you, or the shipping company, may put down on the weighbill, Thai Customs will always work on the as new list price of the items, or their best estimate (which is always high) if the items are not in their database.

Thailand import duty of computer items is currently charged at the rate of 40% based upon Cost + Insurance + Freight (CIF).

You have indicated in your post that your set up is valued at 800K Baht to cover in case of loss/damage for insurance purposes.

Let’s assume your insurance cost is say 10K Baht, and your freight cost is say 50K Baht.

On top of the Import Duty you will need to pay a Transaction Fee currently 1,550 Baht

You will also have to pay Value Added Tax (VAT) @ 7% on the Import Duty + Transaction Fee.

Total Duty payable:  Import Duty + Transaction Fee + VAT = 369,738 Baht.  OUCH!!!

Good Luck

And if the officer has teenage kids the cockpit set up will be very valuable.

3 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

Good Luck

Ouch is putting it lightly! Wow. That’s a lot uglier than I had ever thought.

Thank you for the detailed reply and the very helpful information. I’m gob smacked.