Army chief suspends construction of judges’ housing project at Doi Suthep

webfact

Army chief suspends construction of judges’ housing project at Doi Suthep

By Thai PBS

housing11.jpg

Army Commander-in-Chief General Chalermchai Sitthisart has ordered the housing project for justice officials of the 5th Region Appeals Court at the foot of Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai to be put on hold pending a detailed examination of the project.

General Chalermchai said Tuesday that it was appropriate to suspend the project because there were people in Chiang Mai who opposed the project because it could threaten the Doi Suthep national park although the project had been approved long time ago.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/army-chief-suspends-construction-judges-housing-project-doi-suthep/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-03-21

Now look here judge, i want a house up ther for my mia noi.

Sorry general, this project is reserved for judges only.

Soon see about that, 1 for me or none for your lot.

Do you know who i am/ and what power i have?

I am the man, so stuff you.

• Haha 1

However, the chief justice of 5th Region Appeals Court defended that the project did not encroach on park land and that the court had been granted the permission to use the Crown Property’s land covering 157 rai for the project.

The solution is to build a golf course for the army and a spa for their wives.It would like nice on that hilltop in the background.

I recently returned from Koh Samui where the mountainsides are littered with condos and hotels. I was never there before all that construction, so it is what it is. But I'm sure it was beautiful at some point not so long ago. And the same in Phuket and elsewhere around the country. This project could be just the first step toward that here in CM: "Well, since this section is already built on, we might as well even it out and build more next to it." And so on. The prospective land prices could become so astronomical it might be impossible for any government department to resist selling it. 10 ~ 20 years from now there may be little left of our lovely little mountain to appreciate.

On 21.3.2018 at 12:50 PM, RobFord said:

The residences are on the hillside. Must have been approved in the good old days. 

I wonder who’s paying for it all and who’ll end up owning it all. 

5026F4FB-5F2C-4F55-B5CD-E0A862EF6EAB.jpeg

As i wrote in the last thread already, i'm 99% sure that: The Thai government pays and owns it, but the judges and other government workers will stay there for free. So of course a judge who will get a nice new house there will say everything was legal

Edited by jackdd