Uninsured British man on way to extend his visa loses leg after horrific motorbike accident

snoop1130

re, insurance, off on a bit of a tangent, my mate came to stay for 40 days, caught denghi fever, 2 days in hospital, bill was 42,000, baht , back in the UK he text to say insurance reimbursed him within 14 days

5 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

However Harry, who is in Thailand after spending the last 5 months travelling across Southeast Asia, does not have any travel or medical insurance to pay for further treatment.

Another tourists there don't care about be insurance I pity you and hope you will recover well but you need health insurance when you are home and travel in the world it is lack of respect for you own safety and health don't safe money for insurance because meaby you find out you need it 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Furthermore, the driver of the truck has told police that he was not at fault so the case is set to go to Thai court, which could take months or even years before an outcome is determined.

Sounds a bit weird. Isn't it up to the police to decide who was at fault?

4 hours ago, Thian said:

no the international driverslicense is valid for 90 days, you have to do a borderrun and it's valid again for 90 days...isn't it?

That's whay they told me...well actually (in holland) they told me it's valid for a whole year, when i asked about that 90 day rule they couldn't answer me and had never heard of that strange rule.

Where can we read those rules on a official page?

Your international licence may be valid for a year but different countries have different rules as to how long you can drive on it before requiring a local licence. 

1 hour ago, manolothai said:

2 years and half ago. Pattaya Najomtien, small junction without public lights really unable to see in the dark. 

Was driving motorbyke fortunately slowly.  (if fast I would be not here writing in the phone) 

Suddenly crashed on a front wheel of a Toyota hilux vigo with my nouvo. 

Unable even to try to break. Wake up on the street unable to stand up. 

Acetabular double displaced fracture. 

Operated in Pattaya at Memorial.

I was insured but not with big coverage, just 600.000 bht. 

I've almost lost one leg. More than 3 month for start walking  again. 

Lucky to be alive. 

Got the best treatments available at memorial and insurance payed everything. 

I'm still crippled after 2 year and half maybe I will have a new surgery  in a few years. 

Now I have 5 million hospitalization and accident  full cover insurance, another insurance with 200 euros benefit  for each day in hospital  and up to 2 million euros in case of permanent disability. 

I drive just a SUV with full first class insurance and high power halogen lights.

Thanks god every day to still be in life and learn from the lesson. 

And thanks to myself for had my "small" but crucial 600.000 baht insurance. 

And thanks to my wife who stayed closed to me all the time when I needed support and a lot of people ran away. 

I think it's time to send a few bucks, my friend. 

5 hours ago, Thian said:

Alright so you have to do a borderrun and it's valid again for 90 days...that's what i do so i'm safe for that. If i extend my 90-day visa with 30 days i can't drive motocy for those extra 30 days.

It's not valid again, these insurance guys aren't stupid. They'll ask for a Thai driver's license and do all to revoke paying. Get a Thai DL. 

5 hours ago, tropo said:

The grim reaper will get you in "just a matter of time", motorcycle riding or not. Wouldn't it be comical if a person took your advice, got off the motorcycle, only to be wiped out in a bus accident? You can actually influence how much risk you have a motorcycle. You can improve your odds. For example, if you're living in an area where sugar cane trucks pull out onto the road, be vigilant and keep the speed down. I have done a lot of miles on a motorcycle in a sugar cane farming area. They are quite bid and easy to see. Trucks always tend to feel they have the right of way over motorcycles and don't like to wait for them.

There's this guy who quit drinking and smoking. He never sat on a bike again, and never did anything that would be considered dangerous. He's a lucky guy and decided to have a holiday at the ocean, booked a resort and sat under a tree.

He didn't hear the coconut falling...............

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jimmybkk said:

Sounds a bit weird. Isn't it up to the police to decide who was at fault?

If the truck driver pays the cops who were at the accident a reasonable amount of money, it was the "Farang's" fault. And I'm not making this up, was there, done that. 

And I'm sure that the truck driver already had a word with them. No court decision needed when the cops come up with a plausible report. And that could be anything that the foreigner did wrong. 

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

If the truck driver pays the cops who were at the accident a reasonable amount of money, it was the "Farang's" fault. And I'm not making this up, was there, done that. 

And I'm sure that the truck driver already had a word with them. No court decision needed when the cops come up with a plausible report. And that could be anything that the foreigner did wrong. 

I bet that truck driver was carrying a wallet stuffed with thousand baht notes LMAO

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

I bet that truck driver was carrying a wallet stuffed with thousand baht notes LMAO

He doesn't have to have a lot of money now. That will be solved at the police station when writing the report. There's enough time to come to a solution and enough time to find out what the foreigner did wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

He doesn't have to have a lot of money now. That will be solved at the police station when writing the report. There's enough time to come to a solution and enough time to find out what the foreigner did wrong. 

The odds of bribing at the station diminish greatly where there are 50 mouths to feed.

The only time to consider it is at the scene where there are just a few cops to feed

Edited by InMyShadow
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, saakura said:

Oh my God. What a terrible tragedy, just 29 years old with his whole life completely ruined. Just what attracts them to Thailand like flies to shit?

Thailand is the worlds most popular tourist destination and you liken it to flies on shit .  

Edited by Disco738
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, saakura said:

Oh my God. What a terrible tragedy, just 29 years old with his whole life completely ruined. Just what attracts them to Thailand like flies to shit?

His whole life isn't ruined by a long shot. Some adapting will be needed for sure..

No insurance seems to be happening a lot lately... !!

• Thanks 1

i have three separate insurance companies for my Kawasaki 650 motorcycle.

basic state insurance. 680 baht.
a separate company to insure me and my bike. 17,000 baht.
and Bupa health insurance platinum level. 118,000 baht.
per year.

and yes Bupa covers bike accidents.
118k a year?
That's dear isnt It?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, saakura said:

I can only assume that you are not one of the flies!

11 hours ago, observer90210 said:

No insurance coverage...this twins up a bit to often with a go-fund-me page ...

As often mentioned, it is just a matter of time, before new regulations will spurge towards all tourists/travellers/expats arriving in Thailand who will be required, at the best to show proof of proper insurance in their country.....and at the worst, will be required to shell out more money and contract insurance on arrival (with all the probable scams) in Thailand during their stay, despite having all the necessary coverage contracted with their homeland insurances....thanks to the careless and irresponsable few, who will make regulations harsher for all.....

Maybe not, other countries do not require insurance and if Thailand does they would want insurance coverage for Thai nationals with VISA application. Quid pro Quo - don't see that happening soon.

11 hours ago, JOC said:

Please please make it compulsory for anyone entering Thailand to have a travel/medical insurance.

We will still have the terrible accidents, but at least the victims and their families will not have to worry about the bill...

Then you can be sure anyone over 65 will not be coming here. 

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

No insurance.

Asking for trouble.

Too many travel without insurance.

Crowd-funding is not the solution.

why is CF not the solution to the problem? Do you have a better idea based on the circumstances

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Where does one get insurance that covers motorcycle accidents?

Lots of options for insurance for people who actually have a motorbike license, riding a legal vehicle and not breaking the law. Most of the problems arise when people try to get insurance or void it by not having a license.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Not really... I pay a little bit lower than that with William Russell but don't have the Platinum package...

OK i've been back in the UK but my Bupa Platimum 2014 renewal quote was 44000bht for 2 million limit per claim. 

12 hours ago, Cadbury said:

There is a solution. Do not ride a motorbike in Thailand. Thailand has the highest death rate in the WORLD for motorcycle deaths.

No matter how long you have been here , no matter how how much insurance you have, or as good a driver as you might be the stupid driver is very close by and he/she couldn't care less about you. He/she will get you in the end. Just a matter of time. 

images1.jpg

It may help if you have a quality selection of amulets hanging around you neck.

Absolutely correct. I came here many years ago, having ridden motorcycles extensively back in the UK. I completed rider safety courses up the ying-yang there, including the police-certified Gold Rider Award scheme. I had one minor mishap in the UK due to black ice. Came here and bought a bike. After four accidents in a year, none of which were my fault but gaining in severity, I hung up my skid-lid and switched to public transport and now a car. That's why I'm still alive. It's just not worth it. I realise it might be one of the only forms of affordable transport, but there are cheap cars available. 

• Like 1

Good luck to the guy, he did all the right things but no insurance at his age?

Amazing, but no surprise that the other driver said it isn't his fault and the police has no idea and need to investigate another example they don't know the law themselves.

In general, I lived here for a long time and these drivers who drive this particular trucks seem to be the worse of them all. The work and use these vehicles and pretty much break all the laws especially speeding and using the trucks since they are larger basically telling everyone in their way they are bigger so get out of my path or die!  Murderess mentality!

It isn't rocket science to figure out whenever you enter a road you need to slow down or stop and proceed with caution you are 2nd in status and don't have the right away but here it has been allowed so long police themselves have no idea it is illegal. All one has to do if police have basic training is look for the skid marks of this accident and the location of the truck.

1 hour ago, JAG said:

Mind you the truck driver may genuinely not have seen the motorcycle - what with the curtain strung across the bottom half of the windscreen, the sidecurtains, the Michelin Men strapped to the wing mirrors and the window tinting so dark that they have to cut holes the size of a CD in it to see the wing mirrors. The row of cartoon stickers across the top of the windscreen possibly might not have helped...

things that are illegal in many countries. and thailand has many similar laws, just not enforced...

so wondering is it illegal to have such dangerous vision restrictions here?

which would make the driver/owner culpable...

anyone know?