Uninsured British man on way to extend his visa loses leg after horrific motorbike accident

snoop1130

27 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Well mate i will try to answer about the international drivers permit.

First it is a permit, not a license.

Issued for 1 year, but Thailand only allows their use for 90 days.

Alright so you have to do a borderrun and it's valid again for 90 days...that's what i do so i'm safe for that. If i extend my 90-day visa with 30 days i can't drive motocy for those extra 30 days.

6 minutes ago, Thian said:

Alright so you have to do a borderrun and it's valid again for 90 days...that's what i do so i'm safe for that. If i extend my 90-day visa with 30 days i can't drive motocy for those extra 30 days.

Not really because it's really to allow tourists to drive for 3 months. If you are on a long term multi entry visa or extension of stay you will most likely get away with it, but, if you are at fault in an accident that causes a substantial loss to someone take a wild guess whose side the insurance is going to be on.

3 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Not really because it's really to allow tourists to drive for 3 months. If you are on a long term multi entry visa or extension of stay you will most likely get away with it, but, if you are at fault in an accident that causes a substantial loss to someone take a wild guess whose side the insurance is going to be on.

I see, well in that case i will claim all the damage from the ANWB which is the agency that sold me that international driverslicense (only them are allowed to sell them officialy). They said it's valid for one year in row...(i buy one every year).

I'll call them again when i'm back and tell them about this, they didn't inform me properly which by law is their job. And for worldtravelers this is crucial information.

But i also have a very good travelinsurance which covers motocy driving...also they didn't tell me about it.

If they spoke english i would get a thai driverslicense tomorrow...i live close to a thai drivingscool with their own circuit. But even my wife doesn't know if i can just go there and do whatever is needed to get thai dl.

1 hour ago, saakura said:

Oh my God. What a terrible tragedy, just 29 years old with his whole life completely ruined. Just what attracts them to Thailand like flies to shit?

Completely ruined ??  Are you drunk? Ive seen hundreds of amputees in Thailand  moving around no worries at all

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

The accident investigation should reveal who was at fault, if anyone. I doubt it would take an expert very long to determine if anyone is at blame here.

They can argue about liability in the courts later.

Unfortunately I cannot see the hospital delaying the bill until the outcome is known. 

1 hour ago, JAG said:

Sugar cane trucks and cement mixer trucks - not sure which are the most dangerous. Give both a very wide berth!

Both have a similar mentality (none) ive also  seen them racing each other, yep cement  lorries  racing, PATHETIC

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dmaxdan said:

The truck driver told police it was not his fault. Same old, same old.....Having no insurance is stupid anywhere you travel but in a country where virtually no-one has the balls to take responsibility for their actions it is potentially catastrophic.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

granted; agreed totally; the logic overlook is that thais are fairly shallow people, they generally grasp at concepts such as accountability,responsibility, introspection, accepting-any-blame; almost any kind of critical thinking really

Initially, I thought that the OP's article had a typo in it - but there is no typo.

Instead, I learnt a new word today - and now I would like to unlearn it...

"suffered catastrophic injuries, including his right leg being degloved"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, kannot said:

Both have a similar mentality (none) ive also  seen them racing each other, yep cement  lorries  racing, PATHETIC

The other day i saw a brand new bmw, (blue color not original) half under a concrete truck...guess the lady tried to push her bmw into the lane right infront of that truck who didn't care at all for her. The car was flat as a doormat at the booth..

2 minutes ago, Thian said:

The other day i saw a brand new bmw, (blue color not original) half under a concrete truck...guess the lady tried to push her bmw into the lane right infront of that truck who didn't care at all for her. The car was flat as a doormat at the booth..

"ME  FIRST"  sounds like the concrete lorry only got half  the job done:biggrin:

Edited by kannot

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

i have three separate insurance companies for my Kawasaki 650 motorcycle.

basic state insurance. 680 baht.

a separate company to insure me and my bike. 17,000 baht.

and Bupa health insurance platinum level. 118,000 baht.

per year.

and yes Bupa covers bike accidents.

1 hour ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

Well, just look at you. What a guy!

Hand's off he's mine!

He's got a lovely shiny helmet as well.

??

Edited by Wilsonandson
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Thian said:

I see, well in that case i will claim all the damage from the ANWB which is the agency that sold me that international driverslicense (only them are allowed to sell them officialy). They said it's valid for one year in row...(i buy one every year).

I'll call them again when i'm back and tell them about this, they didn't inform me properly which by law is their job. And for worldtravelers this is crucial information.

But i also have a very good travelinsurance which covers motocy driving...also they didn't tell me about it.

If they spoke english i would get a thai driverslicense tomorrow...i live close to a thai drivingscool with their own circuit. But even my wife doesn't know if i can just go there and do whatever is needed to get thai dl.

What is the ANWB ?

44 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Good that you are observant enough to notice that trucks are bigger than motor bikes. It's the trucks that you don't notice that come up behind you going flat out and have "brake failure" are ones you need to worry about. Good luck on the roads.

Do you drive around without keeping an eye on what's behind you? If so, you're the one who needs most of the good luck. I don't stay in the path of big trucks whether their brakes have failed or they are working fine as I keep a close watch on what's behind me. I move over for trucks or anything else that's in a hurry.

I don't think the guy in this accident was wiped out by a truck from behind. He went under one, indicating he collided with it.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

What is the ANWB ?

Ah ok Dutch.

What you have is translation of your dutch licence not an international licence that is only recognised by most countries for 3 months. It is valid for a year but most countries allow you to use it for 3 months as long as your own country licence is still valid and both should be carried at the same time. Border hops every 90 days are  not a legal way to use it for it's one year validity.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Unfortunately I cannot see the hospital delaying the bill until the outcome is known. 

So what do you think the hospital will do then? Dump him in the carpark and then stick him in the mortuary when he dies?

7 minutes ago, keithpa said:

We all   know the need for travel ins so why does everybody go on and on about it every time there is an accident?

Particularly odd since most of them dont have any type of insurance including medical. No way the majority of poor pensioners here could afford a beer after happy hour let alone the crippling costs of insurance for over 50's

Edited by InMyShadow

1 minute ago, InMyShadow said:

Particularly odd since most of them dont have any type of insurance including medical. No way the majority of poor pensioners here could afford a beer after happy hour and a 4k fan room let alone the crippling costs of insurance for over 50's

The stupidest comment i have ever seen on here about ins. was a bloke saying he had the best ins., a plane ticket home. 

• Haha 2