Uninsured British man on way to extend his visa loses leg after horrific motorbike accident

snoop1130

Insurance companies will screw you like a Thai hooker and smile....Oh no coverage on a bike sorry.  Can you find cheap insurance..I can't.   $200. a month is not in my budget.  2000 CDN could get you 62,000 baht a few years ago. Now it can buy 50,000..soon it will be 40,000.   Soon Thailand will be only for the rich .

• Like 1

On 3/22/2018 at 2:49 PM, geriatrickid said:

You choose to take the  motorcycle taxi. You accept the risk and must therefore assume the consequences.

You CAN get insurance at age 72. You have chosen not to  place the insurance. Just say that.

Either you have not made the effort or are unable to  manage the  cost, but do not say you are unable to make an arrangement because elderly people who  have underlying medical conditions can and do obtain risk transfer financial products.  The coverage can be set up as a retention plan, or as a self financing fronting arrangement with catastrophic coverage. There will be a cost, but it is available. It's just a question of going direct to the health insurer and saying I need the coverage, but I do understand that there is a cost and will pay that cost. What we have here are   people who believe that the insurer and its policy holders should subsidize their cost of coverage.   

The managed health insurance plan is no different than the companies who self insure. The benefit is that the insurer can impose the lower  fees and set procedure payments on the health providers that an individual cannot. The insurer acts as the  auditor of the  expenses submitted by the hospital. In plain language John Q. Public will most likely pay more for a procedure than the insurance company.

Which insurance company every one I look up stops at 70 ?

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

So you don't ride a bike, but happy to tell people not to ride when you have no experience. I'd rather listen to riders

Stats say how dangerous riding is. Are you going to interview people in hospital?

19 hours ago, Coastrider said:

Insurance companies will screw you like a Thai hooker and smile....Oh no coverage on a bike sorry.  Can you find cheap insurance..I can't.   $200. a month is not in my budget.  2000 CDN could get you 62,000 baht a few years ago. Now it can buy 50,000..soon it will be 40,000.   Soon Thailand will be only for the rich .

Try World Nomads.

• Like 1

Stats say how dangerous riding is. Are you going to interview people in hospital?

People who make the most noise about riding are those frightened rabbit types who don't ride trying to pass their fears to others, like yourself maybe. I'm happy riding. Talk us through your experience

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:
6 minutes ago, Justfine said:

People who make the most noise about riding are those frightened rabbit types who don't ride trying to pass their fears to others, like yourself maybe. I'm happy riding. Talk us through your experience

Stats say riding is far more dangerous than a car and that's worldwide.

I'm sorry if you can't handle facts.

Just now, scubascuba3 said:
6 minutes ago, Justfine said:
Stats say riding is far more dangerous than a car and that's worldwide.

I'm sorry if you can't handle facts.

Like i said further up, stats include drunks, no helmet, too young, too fast, reckless. Shame you have zero experience

Rode bikes for years. Done skydiving and bungy.

Shame you make false assumptions about people you don't know.

34 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
47 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Tandem skydive probably. Like i said its usually the non riders who are the most vocal on this subject, always the same

As a rider I'm just pointing out the facts. Thai roads are dangerous and bikes are more dangerous than cars.

All you have done is resort to childish insults.

On 24/03/2018 at 4:41 AM, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

The article says Harry had regular Thai insurance to ride the bike.

At his age he should have taken out a UK based travel insurance policy too though.

Motorbikes are dangerous machines, I know I've ridden bikes for many, many years in Thailand and elsewhere, but only had a few close shaves never a serious accident.

I wonder how fast he was going. If he is inexperienced in how bad Thai drivers are he might not have expected the lorry to pull out and caused the problem himself by not being able to stop or maneuver around the truck thinking he had been seen and that the driver would let him pass.

Sad story. Prosthetics are amazing these days so I hope he can live a fulfilling life when he recovers.

I wish him a speedy recovery...

And a big Well Done to the Immigration Department.

Agreed. Bikes especially dangerous around trucks and buses when not riding defensively.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2018 at 1:25 PM, Dmaxdan said:

in a country where virtually no-one has the balls to take responsibility for their actions it is potentially catastrophic.

most insurance companies in the world tell you not to admit liability under any circumstances (before you have contacted them).

22 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

So you don't ride a bike, but happy to tell people not to ride when you have no experience. I'd rather listen to riders

Here you go, i do ride motocy and yes it's very very dangerous in Thailand.

Even more if you're not used to left side traffic, better practise first in another country.

If you do drive motocy in thailand you always have to expect the unexpected...danger can come from 6 sides to you and even you have to watch the motocy to behave properly.

But there are many vehicles who don't care at all for others, sugarcane-trucks are one of them....

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Letseng said:

..if you aren't older than 60. You forgot to add this part.

Try Allianz. They cover over 80yos even. Just more expensive. (Did a quote for a 101yo and price jumped up but still avail)

Edited by Justfine

4 hours ago, Justfine said:

Try World Nomads.

Try reading the reviews for World Nomads.  I looked at them, pretty sure their cut off age was 70 and  their reviews were bad, as in hard to get them to pay up.   At 71 I took out travel insurance with QBE, 10 months less than 1000 AUD.  Think they are backed by AXA or Allianz.

1 hour ago, Justfine said:

Try Allianz. They cover over 80yos even. Just more expensive. (Did a quote for a 101yo and price jumped up but still avail)

When I was 64 an Allianz quote gave me a price around 8000 Euro.  I found more reasonable insurance and luckily till now never needed them. 

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
7 hours ago, Justfine said:

Tandem skydive probably. Like i said its usually the non riders who are the most vocal on this subject, always the same

They are non rider because they are not stupid enough to ride on the most dangerous roads in the world.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AboutThaim said:

Try reading the reviews for World Nomads.  I looked at them, pretty sure their cut off age was 70 and  their reviews were bad, as in hard to get them to pay up.  ...

is true.  had world nomads for a while, needed emergency heart surgery

while traveling. 

world nomads denies...."don't pay for cosmetic surgery"....."don't pay for

experimental procedures"....."don't pay when in your home country".....

each new excuse meant more papers to be sent, resulting in yet another

excuse from the long, long list.  and when they get to the bottom, they

start at the top again.

continues until customer gives up or dies.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
5 hours ago, keithpa said:
They are non rider because they are not stupid enough to ride on the most dangerous roads in the world.

So all riders in Thailand are stupid, that sounds stupid

I agree with the first part of your comment.

• Like 1