Getting rid off 20 GB of old Window 10 Installations

jenny2017

When I switched to Windows 10, it was easy to delete some old Windows installations, by Disc Cleanup. But now I had 20 GB of old installations and could finally get rid off them. I've also deleted all my updates that aren't needed anymore, Windows keeps a copy of the update on your machine.

To do so, you've got to click Disc cleanup, then you've got the option to delete the System files, the old Windows installations are included. I'd tried to manually delete the old versions, but it didn't work. Now I freed more than 20 GB of old installations and updates that aren't needed anymore. A much faster PC and less junk. 

If you are short of disk space yes handy to do.

But it will not make "A much faster PC" as you are just removing old files from your hard drive that are no longer used my Windows. If you want to improve speed its best to review which Apps automatically start when you switch on your computer. Also worth checking the Registry for obsolete operations and looking at Apps that have programs running in the background.

If you are unsure how to do this Apps such as CCleaner will automate the process and give you the option to disable any processes you not want running.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2018 at 9:11 AM, Kron said:

But it will not make "A much faster PC" as you are just removing old files from your hard drive that are no longer used my Windows. If you want to improve speed its best to review which Apps automatically start when you switch on your computer. Also worth checking the Registry for obsolete operations and looking at Apps that have programs running in the background.

If you are unsure how to do this Apps such as CCleaner will automate the process and give you the option to disable any processes you not want running.

I'm using Advanced System Care Ultimate 11 

On 3/22/2018 at 9:11 AM, Kron said:

But it will not make "A much faster PC" as you are just removing old files from your hard drive that are no longer used my Windows.

It will make for faster disk R/W if you are short of disk space, so making your PC seem faster. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

ccleaner should be able to remove the junk for you.

Free of course.

Crossy, CC doesn't delete old updates and old installations. 

Regarding Windows, they keep one copy of each update on your PC.

Please see: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/anniversary-update-wasting-space

P.S. Advanced System Care Ultimate 11 seems to be the best available software for these tasks these days.

Here's a genuine key that gets you until April, 15th 

7FAC5-4AB1D-FFC7F-5CFD6  ( just insert after download of the trial version) 

Download link: http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-SystemCare-Ultimate/3000-2239_4-75738707.html?part=dl-&subj=dl&tag=button

Edited by jenny2017

7 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Crossy, CC doesn't delete old updates and old installations. 

Hmmm, it does for me (I just used it), you have to select the option and click through the warning that there's no going back.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Hmmm, it does for me (I just used it), you have to select the option and click through the warning that there's no going back.

Please try the key and run Advanced System Ultimate 11 and please report back. 

7FAC5-4AB1D-FFC7F-5CFD6   I've tried CC before, but I believe that this one is much better and does more tasks. 

Edited by jenny2017

12 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yes I think its in the advanced section and has to be checked?

@jenny2017 I don't need to remove an old windows version, it was you who asked and I assumed your tool didn't do the trick.

Now you are posting "genuine keys" for Advanced System Ultimate 11 whatever that is. Do I assume they are hooky? Or are they a key which gets you a payment if someone uses them and buys the product?

23 minutes ago, Crossy said:

@jenny2017 I don't need to remove an old windows version, it was you who asked and I assumed your tool didn't do the trick.

Now you are posting "genuine keys" for Advanced System Ultimate 11 whatever that is. Do I assume they are hooky? Or are they a key which gets you a payment if someone uses them and buys the product?

Lol. Nope, that's my old key that seems to work on more than one computers, no cheating involved. I've posted it here because I've already inserted new keys. 

I was just sharing my experience on how to get rid of so much junk that you don't need on a PC/ 

There's nothing hookey, you can use the key. Nothing fishy with it.

I've got nothing to do with the company, so nothing will happen when you're using the key. 

Edited by jenny2017

A simple fact is, special if using a Microsoft Account, MS is looking many times into the machine for to compare or what reasons ever to those 'old Data'.

Some time ago I once counted that by analyzing the data of a customers Firewall running Smoothwall Express and found more than 3000 of such 'checks' within a period of 8hour. Each of those checks accounted for at least 5sec and up to 3min. The use of such amount on a computer, by my customer, that Firewall machine and 4 workstations will slow down the speed of each machine a bit. After cleaning all connected machine from those 'data' that was done to 2sec to 9sec, And I got them more down by adding the used IP Addresses to the 'Blacklist'. Afterward, I created a Macro for to run every week twice before work time started in the morning because the workstation will be autostarting at 6 am 6 days a week (Monday to Saturday).

Since the computers working simply faster and better.

I do the same on all of my own computers for a long time already.

• Like 1

On one of my mini PC's, the OS's is showing 17 GB, where my others

are only showing 8-9 GB's for the OS,anybody have any ideas what

the problem might be, they are only 32GB SSD,so space is important

to be able to update. Windows 10 Home on all.

regards worgeordie

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

On one of my mini PC's, the OS's is showing 17 GB, where my others

are only showing 8-9 GB's for the OS,anybody have any ideas what

the problem might be, they are only 32GB SSD,so space is important

to be able to update. Windows 10 Home on all.

regards worgeordie

Windows 10? Windows keeps a copy of the update on your machine and it seems that you might have an older OS installation or even two on it. Please see the thread. OS=Windows 10

Delete old OS's and old updates, you don't need them. In addition, download the Advanced System Care 11 Ultimate and do all steps, it's damn easy. 

Edited by jenny2017
  • Thanks 1