Possible Rabies Exposure - Help Needed to Track Down the Animal

qj7777

Hey,

Some friends and I were traveling to Mae Sairang on the 24th Jan, during a nigh out I was bitten by a dog owned by a bar owner. The owner assured me it had been vaccinated, but with the recent out break I'm a little worried. 

I tried to call the place: 

Sawadee Restaurant & bar

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g790332-d3684139-Reviews-Sawadee-Mae_Sariang_Mae_Hong_Son_Province.html

However, it seems to have closed! 

Could anyone be so kind so call some of the hotels / bars close to it to see what happened, if anyone has seen the dog and when it was last seen, was it healthy or any other info would be great? A working phone number or line ID for the owner of Sawdee bar would be perfect. 

Riverside Hotel

Address: 77 Langpanich Rd Ban Kat Mae Sariang Mae Hong Son 58110, Thailand

Riverhouse resort
Address: 6/1 หมู่ 2 ถ แหล่ง พา นิ ช ย์, แม่สะเรียง, Mae Hong Son 58110, Thailand

Riverside guesthouse
Address: ริ เวอร์ ไซ ด์ เกส ต์ เฮา ส์ แม่สะเรียง 85/1, ถ แหล่ง พา นิ ช ต แม่สะเรียง อ แม่สะเรียง แม่ฮ่องสอน 58110, Mae Sariang, Mae Sariang District, Mae Hong Son 58110, Thailand

Riverbank guesthouse
Address: Unnamed Rd Tambon Ban Kat Amphoe Mae Sariang Chang Wat Mae Hong Son 58110 Thailand

Goodview restaurant
Address: 54 Rangpanich Rd. Moo 12 T. Baan Kart, A. Mae Sarieng, Mae Hong Son, MH, Thailand

Mitaree hotel
Address: Mae Sariang, Mae Sariang District, Mae Hong Son 58110, Thailand

Picture of the dog attached, I'm sure the risk is low but it's quite a worry. 

Many thanks!! 

1521676098473.jpg.3d5a0713d375ee541a17001593c5b893.jpg

Rabies is deadly. Dont waste time trying to find out how the dog is: go straight to a hospital/clinic and let them do whatever they think best.

It looks like the hound of the Baskervilles to me and I wouldnt get within a mile of it without a suit of armour.

• Haha 1

The normal incubation period for rabies is 2-8 weeks.  The OP was bitten longer ago than that.  Unless he's foaming at the mouth and adverse to showering then he's probably in the clear.

24 minutes ago, Oxx said:

The normal incubation period for rabies is 2-8 weeks.  The OP was bitten longer ago than that.  Unless he's foaming at the mouth and adverse to showering then he's probably in the clear.

But the down side is he curls up in front of the fire and licks his balls.

Edited by Thongkorn
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, trd said:

Yes exactly, how is finding the dog going to help. Just get the rabies shots.

If one is bitten, having the actual animal can be used to identify if it is infected, and hopefully avoid injections.

However, they have to kill the animal and examine its brain, so a human that owns the animal may object to his dog being killed.

Better to just assume it may be infected and go to hospital for treatment.

Do not delay, either way.

Hey,

Thanks for all the concern. I did go the hospital yesterday and they refused to give me the shots. I was presenting with signs of panic so they assumed I was over reacting and gave me Xanex. Which did make me chuckle, and made me feel quite a bit better. 

Yes normal incubation time is 2-8 weeks, I realize I'm out of the highest risk window. However, it can be up to 6 years in rare cases, and on the WHO website it advises 1-3 months. 

The correct procedure, due to the toxicity and side effects of the shots is; take a shot as early as possible (the course is 1 month long), and if the animal is seen alive and health within 10 days after the bite discontinue the shots as transmission would have been impossible. 

I'm, going to another hospital in about 2 hours, to try and get them to see sense. 

There for if I can find somebody who has had eyes on the evil creature after the 5th of Feb I can stop worrying. 

If anyone can just ring those numbers and explain the situation, and help me I'll send them $50 - it's quite concerning for me as I'm sure you can imagine, a very low risk in my mind currently I still a risk I can't live with. 

Thank you :) 

Edited by qj7777
typo

RE: the photo, my friend took it randomly as I was asking him about the situation yesterday and dug it out his phone, a NGO was present at the time and insisted the dog had been vaccinated but we were quite inebriated and I'd, ideally like this 101% concrete confirmation that the animal has been seen alive  .

The owner said also it had been vaccinated, and there was no rabies outbreak at the time. But yes I should have taken the shots earlier. 

• 2 weeks later...
Hey,

Some friends and I were traveling to Mae Sairang on the 24th Jan, during a nigh out I was bitten by a dog owned by a bar owner. The owner assured me it had been vaccinated, but with the recent out break I'm a little worried. 

I tried to call the place: 

Sawadee Restaurant & bar
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g790332-d3684139-Reviews-Sawadee-Mae_Sariang_Mae_Hong_Son_Province.html

However, it seems to have closed! 

Could anyone be so kind so call some of the hotels / bars close to it to see what happened, if anyone has seen the dog and when it was last seen, was it healthy or any other info would be great? A working phone number or line ID for the owner of Sawdee bar would be perfect. 

Riverside Hotel
Address: 77 Langpanich Rd Ban Kat Mae Sariang Mae Hong Son 58110, Thailand Phone+66 53 682 323   Riverhouse resort Address: 6/1 หมู่ 2 ถ แหล่ง พา นิ ช ย์, แม่สะเรียง, Mae Hong Son 58110, Thailand Phone+66 53 683 066   Riverside guesthouse Address: ริ เวอร์ ไซ ด์ เกส ต์ เฮา ส์ แม่สะเรียง 85/1, ถ แหล่ง พา นิ ช ต แม่สะเรียง อ แม่สะเรียง แม่ฮ่องสอน 58110, Mae Sariang, Mae Sariang District, Mae Hong Son 58110, Thailand Phone+66 91 284 1536   Riverbank guesthouse Address: Unnamed Rd Tambon Ban Kat Amphoe Mae Sariang Chang Wat Mae Hong Son 58110 Thailand Phone+66 53 682 787   Goodview restaurant Address: 54 Rangpanich Rd. Moo 12 T. Baan Kart, A. Mae Sarieng, Mae Hong Son, MH, Thailand   Mitaree hotel Address: Mae Sariang, Mae Sariang District, Mae Hong Son 58110, Thailand Phone+66 53 681 110   Picture of the dog attached, I'm sure the risk is low but it's quite a worry.    Many thanks!!    1521676098473.jpg.3d5a0713d375ee541a17001593c5b893.jpg
Just to let you know, dogs only need to get rabies shots every 7 yrs. Not every 1 yr like the Gov. tells you.

Sent from my SM-J120G using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 minutes ago, doggie1955 said:

Just to let you know, dogs only need to get rabies shots every 7 yrs. Not every 1 yr like the Gov. tells you.

Perhaps you'd care to provide a few links to some peer reviewed articles in serious scientific journals that support your rather unusual view?

Rabies is an exceptionally important disease because it is one of a few diseases that can be passed from dog to humans, and is almost invariably fatal.  It's important that humans are protected against the risk of rabies from dogs.  Does giving dogs shots every 7 years provide the same level of protection to humans as giving the dogs the shots every year?

23 hours ago, Oxx said:

Perhaps you'd care to provide a few links to some peer reviewed articles in serious scientific journals that support your rather unusual view?

Rabies is an exceptionally important disease because it is one of a few diseases that can be passed from dog to humans, and is almost invariably fatal.  It's important that humans are protected against the risk of rabies from dogs.  Does giving dogs shots every 7 years provide the same level of protection to humans as giving the dogs the shots every year?

Schultz, Ronald D, Duration of Immunity to Canine Vaccines: What We Know and What We Don’t Know, Proceedings – Canine Infectious Diseases: From Clinics to Molecular Pathogenesis, Ithaca, NY, 1999, 22. 

Distemper- 7 years by challenge/15 years by serology
Parvovirus – 7 years by challenge/ 7 years by serology
Adenovirus – 7 years by challenge/ 9 years by serology
Canine rabies – 3 years by challenge/ 7 years by serology

Dr. Schulz is still doing a lot of study to try and extend the law in the States re rabies due to the harmful effects of useless re-vaccination. It was his research that changed many places from 1 to 3 years to begin with. His research is also mentioned in the WSAVA vaccine guidelines (WHO for animals if you like). The one year booster vaccines was a recommendation made in 1978 with absolutely no scientific validation (as obviously testing vaccines on animals over long periods of time is an expensive and difficult study to wait for).

On a side note, even though the immune response will still be effective at 7 years, Dr. Schultz still continues to vaccinate his own dogs every 3 years due to his local laws. He says that the antibody levels block the booster just like maternal antibodies do in young pups for some vaccines, but it is the law. The other core vaccines he titers the puppy to find the best time to vaccine and never vaccinates again (obviously does annual titer testing).

Edited by wildewillie89

On 01/04/2018 at 9:07 PM, doggie1955 said:

How often does the government in San Diego say they need vaccinating?