Maya Bay protection not enough to save corals, says marine expert

snoop1130

Maya Bay protection not enough to save corals, says marine expert

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1521716206_1-org.jpg

Tourists ignorant of the damage they are doing is a key factor, Dr Thon told The Phuket News. Photo: Dr Thon

PHUKET:-- Maya Bay near Thailand’s famed Phi Phi Island, east of Phuket, needs to be closed off to tourists entirely in order for corals and the marine ecosystem to recover comprehensively, marine life expert Dr Thon Thamrongnawasawat has told The Phuket News.

Also, to effectively protect the area, more officers need to be stationed at protected sites to ensure the ban on visits is enforced, Dr Thon explained in an exclusive interview with The Phuket News yesterday (Mar 21.)

Dr Thon, a marine activist who serves as the Deputy Dean of the Faculty of Fishery at Kasetsart University in Bangkok and as official advisor to the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR), has been leading the fight to protect Maya Bay before overtourism kills the attractive marine life in the area.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/maya-bay-protection-not-enough-to-save-corals-says-marine-expert-66457.php#U4lOV21XQtBJ8gZJ.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-3-22

People seem to just not understand coral. I saw something very similar happen at Rincon de quayabitos in Mexico.

When i first to Rincon in the late 70's the coral was beautiful could snorkel above it and watch the fish swim around it and all was good. Last time I was there in the early 90's I snorkeled and all I could see was loose dead coral floating around in muddy water.People were walking on top of it and boats that brought people to the area dropped anchor on top the coral.

People will come till the coral is gone simple as that.To preserve it it would have to be heavily policed and that will not happen.

I should mention that in the 70's all that came to Rincon were rich Mexican's from the cities.  All they did was eat drink and sit on the beach or beside the pool with the  family . Did not damage the coral.My friends and I were there before it was discovered. So it took less than 15 years to go from unknown to finished and destroyed. Pretty much the same as the story here in Thailand huh.

Edited by lovelomsak

Close the complete PhangNga bay for 3-5 years for tourists.

Chinese only allowed to do shopping in Latex or similar outlets and have to leave Phuket immediatly after shopping.

BTW introduce a special Phuket vehicle tax with 50.000 Baht per year.

3 small steps forward a better Phuket.

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

2040 - Destitute Thailand blames foreign tourists for destroying its natural beauty as it goes cap in hand to Asean countries for help

Yep the locals throwing anchor a thousand times a day has no impact.