Vending Machine Business for Foreigner

Does anyone have any experience in the vending machine business here in Thailand?

How would a foreigner go about this, would you need a Thai partner?

Leasing or buying, any experience?

Custom manufacturing. Can it be done here, or best to import from China? (large duty, for sure)

Cheers

Our company looked at it, and it was a no-go. Margins are very slim and you cannot compete with 7-Eleven.

On top of that, as a foreigner your company must be 51 per cent owned by Thai people (unless you are American).

There is one company doing this business at the minute - they have green coloured machines in places like Impact Arena and Ikea (dispensing drinks only). The company is Lawson 108, who are another convenience store retailer. It works for them because they buy in bulk anyway as part of their convenience store business.

On top of all this you will need a work permit. To get a permit you must employ 4 Thai people. Your permit will allow you to manage the business, not to restock vending machines or do other manual tasks.

If you don't believe me, go to BTS Thong Lo Exit 1. There is a drinks vending machine at the bottom of the stairs. Fantastic location, with literally thousands of people walking past it every day.

Sit there, and count how many times the machine vends. It's the best type of market research you will do, and it's free. Let us know the answer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 24/03/2018 at 9:35 AM, blackcab said:

Our company looked at it, and it was a no-go. Margins are very slim and you cannot compete with 7-Eleven.

On top of that, as a foreigner your company must be 51 per cent owned by Thai people (unless you are American).

There is one company doing this business at the minute - they have green coloured machines in places like Impact Arena and Ikea (dispensing drinks only). The company is Lawson 108, who are another convenience store retailer. It works for them because they buy in bulk anyway as part of their convenience store business.

On top of all this you will need a work permit. To get a permit you must employ 4 Thai people. Your permit will allow you to manage the business, not to restock vending machines or do other manual tasks.

If you don't believe me, go to BTS Thong Lo Exit 1. There is a drinks vending machine at the bottom of the stairs. Fantastic location, with literally thousands of people walking past it every day.

Sit there, and count how many times the machine vends. It's the best type of market research you will do, and it's free. Let us know the answer.

Thanks, great reply. 

I used to work for a vending machine company in the UK. I would not recommend it. The machines were often broken into for the cash and contents and that was in the UK. Here, I would imagine it would be worse.

Then come the repairs. When a printed circuit board burns it might be pricey to replace even if you are doing the work yourself. Also, when new coins are introduced you might have to modify or change the coin mechanism .

Finally, as somebody else mentioned , hard to compete with 7/11.

• Thanks 1