Video: American desperate to be Thai - so why would "buffalo" Thais want to be Americans?!

webfact

19 minutes ago, wvavin said:

Nationality in this modern world is no longer an issue.

My nationality means nothing to me.  The only benefit of having the passport I have is that it does make it easier for me to enter other countries. 

I have never lived in the country of my passport and I never will.   I also hold permanent residence in a second country but will never live there again either.

I would love to have a Thai passport or at least PR to make being here a bit easier.

I've lived in 9 different countries altogether for a period of 49 years and one thing I quickly learned is that if you weren't born in a country and didn't grow up there then you will never ever be like the locals.And especially not like the Thais,or Asians in general,they are just so very different from Western people.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I've found many foreigners here who want to be Thai, or simply don't wanna be an outsider, often resort to self-loathing. They think by praising all things Thai and bashing all things American or British, etc, it will endear them to the locals. They always fail to notice that this behaviour just creates disdain towards them.....

Absolutely agree. On the other hand, there are also very many foreigners who feel superior by bashing all things Thai and praising all things farang....Same same but different!! Human nature.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kieranmc said:

He can of course become a Thai citizen under the correct requirements so i wonder why he hasnt? No money ? No job? 

Does anyone know what he is actually doing here other than eating ants? 

exactly, one of my friends just got his Thai citizenship late 2017.  It takes time and money but can be done!

12 hours ago, rkidlad said:

this behaviour just creates disdain towards them from the locals

Not 100% true. Quite often, if the person is in the right group, this behaviour can actually make the person more admirable and acceptable. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

He will never be a Thai,he must be crazy if he wants to be.

Yeah,  I feel sorry for the disorientated, bewildered fool. 

He may get lucky though, when a sequel to the move "The Jerk" is planned;  he'll be the front runner for a leading role.  555

Edited by Kimber

I know a British passport holder that has two British parents that was born here in Thailand.  He has both Thai and British citizenship.  Other than visiting England on occasion and going to university in the USA he has lived his whole life in Thailand and is now 29 years old.  I'm not sure when he actually acquired Thai citizenship but I do know that he had a Thai passport in 1999.

Just now, Hanuman2547 said:

I know a British passport holder that has two British parents that was born here in Thailand.  He has both Thai and British citizenship.  Other than visiting England on occasion and going to university in the USA he has lived his whole life in Thailand and is now 29 years old.  I'm not sure when he actually acquired Thai citizenship but I do know that he had a Thai passport in 1999.

Did he go online and claim to lose his ants and cry or did he keep his pride?

19 hours ago, orange31 said:

Met him. Really nice guy. Makes handmade hammocks. Parents moved to Thailand when he was a few months old. Born and raised in Thailand, he's completely Thai apart from his genes and passport. 

Not sure exactly the problem with him getting Thai Nationality, he did explain but went over my head.

To posters who say he should go home, he's lived his entire life in Thailand.

Seems a complete prick to me, crying and whining that he wants to be a thai citizen, be happy with who you are! 

You say you met this guy and that - ‘Parents moved to Thailand when he was a few months old. Born and raised in Thailand, he's completely Thai apart from his genes and passport‘ - so, he wasn’t BORN here, he came here with his missionary parents when he was a few months old as you state above, so, again, he is NOT ‘completely thai apart from his genes and passport’, in fact, he is NOT thai at all.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Thaidream said:

I also have lived in Thailand along time but I know very well that if I acquired Thai citizenship and speak Thai perfectly- I will never, ever become a Thai person or accepted as one simply because I do not look Thai.  I will always be a Farang- That's just the way it is and I accept that.  Even if I could be accepted as a Thai - I would never give up my American citizenship. I may  often criticise America for it's faults but one thing being an American does- you are allowed to do that.

I agree. Except you don't have to give up your US citizenship to get Thai you are allowed both.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Falcon said:

Seems a complete prick to me, crying and whining that he wants to be a thai citizen, be happy with who you are! 

You say you met this guy and that - ‘Parents moved to Thailand when he was a few months old. Born and raised in Thailand, he's completely Thai apart from his genes and passport‘ - so, he wasn’t BORN here, he came here with his missionary parents when he was a few months old as you state above, so, again, he is NOT ‘completely thai apart from his genes and passport’, in fact, he is NOT thai at all.

Could of just stopped at except for his genes :whistling:

21 hours ago, Donotdisturb said:

Jup. Old farang knowitalls who speak 5 thai words after 25 years of barstooling in pats are indeed mire common. ??

I speak thai. Have PR. All fine. No need to become thai because... im not a Thai. I peel my apples cutting towards myself... 

Only if your dog sleeps with spread legs and balls on the floor you can become Thai....falang dogs don't do that.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Very rare indeed.......

Not that rare. Plenty about but hiding in plain sight. 

At the core of it, three years of unbroken work permits earning 80,000 baht per month and this guy would qualify to apply.

If he thought about it back in the late 80s  and early 90s the threshold would have been much lower. 

As opposed to what people might tell you at the barstool, there is no mystery to the process and those who bother to look it up know this. 

5 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Anyone born in Thailand prior to March 1992 effectively is entitled to Thai citizenship. After that date you need at least one partner as a Thai citizen at the time of birth or have both parents who were PRs at the time of birth.