friend stuck in hospital with huge bill he can't pay,what now?

rojaron

14 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

That Bill is Quite Ridiculous,But as most have said Thai Hospitals Will & Do rip you off....

I Recently had a SMALL & I Mean SMALL Cyst removed from my hand,6 Stiches inserted, Whole Job took 10 Minutes & Cost me 7,000 Baht....& This was at the CHEAPEST Private hospital in Nong Khai...

7000 baht is cheap compared to what it would have cost in the ER  of a US hospital. 

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, samsensam said:

guess he'll have to borrow from family and friends. or get family/friends to take out a loan for him - there will be someone prepared to loan the money though the conditions of the loan may not be all that attractive, but...

as an adult you make a choice; risk taker or risk avoider, if you choose to take the risk you have to be prepared for the possible consequences.

you are so right, what the xxxx are you doing in thailand if you have no money, it is about time this generation learnt about self reponsibility , some thing that at this time is sadly lacking, i personally 2 new hips, all new teeth and still going well, man up you losers

18 hours ago, HLover said:

Any ideas for travel insurance for these incidents?

Revolut premium card cost 10€ monthly as a travel insurance includes cover 11 000 000 GBP the Revolut app on your smartphone locate you when you abroad and you automatically cover.

Road accidents (car and bike) are cover if you have the adequate DL.

I had a minor operation in Ayutthaya in a private hospital some years ago. No overnight stay just few hours ! The bill came to 75000 baht! My Thai partner made a vigorous complaint for some hours and it came down to 30,000bht . It just proves that even Hospitals will “try it on “ with falangs! And you need to make a big noise ! 500k for a leg operation? Ridiculous ! What did that include, a new prosthetic leg ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

A guy I know had an accident and surgery before he got a proper insurance, (funny enough I reminded him many times before the accident that he has to get an insurance) and the Hospital did not allow him to leave until they had settle an agreement. I believe the agreement was pay 50% so he could leave and the other 50% within 3 month. They kept him a few days extra at the hospital so he could lend the 50% from a friend and then he got some money from his business in Germany to cover the rest.

500K is not at all unusual for care after a major accident in Thailand.  Indeed, depending on the nature of the injuries, extent of ICU stay,  and type and number of surgical procedures required bills can easily run to a million baht in a government hospital and 3-5 million + in a private one.

He needs to meet with the finance/billing dept and explain his problem and work out a payment agreement whereby he pays what he can now and additional amounts monthly thereafter.

Do not expect them to lower the bill or accept just what he can pay, at least not if it is a private  hospital -- they won't. But they will agree to a payment plan. It will involve a legally binding contract and it will be enforced.
Sheryl, what would you recommend doing when an ambulance is called say in Pattaya area, what Government hospital would you recommend?
For small things i don't mind going to a private one but for something that could cost a lot I'd rather go the government route and take my chances.

Also if you are sent to a private hospital initially because you are unconscious can you be transferred to a government one?

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Sheryl, what would you recommend doing when an ambulance is called say in Pattaya area, what Government hospital would you recommend?
For small things i don't mind going to a private one but for something that could cost a lot I'd rather go the government route and take my chances.

Also if you are sent to a private hospital initially because you are unconscious can you be transferred to a government one?

The Chonburi hospital seems to be quite good. 

28 minutes ago, stropper said:

you are so right, what the xxxx are you doing in thailand if you have no money, it is about time this generation learnt about self reponsibility , some thing that at this time is sadly lacking, i personally 2 new hips, all new teeth and still going well, man up you losers

Congratulations on your new hips and your new fake teeth. I'm just wondering who the loser here is?

Hospitals will try to hold a passport, if they have it, until payment is made/agreed, but they have no legal right to do so. It would be easy for a lawyer to get it returned.

The hospital would have to take formal legal action against someone to prevent them from leaving the country.
I would expect the hospitals to have a well trodden path how to collect payment, would be interesting to find out their procedure

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

I had to read it a few times.

I guess if you are unconscious it might be difficult to request a transfer.

My suggestion would be to keep a card in your pocket with that particular request....in big bold letters Thai and English.

Have it laminated also..

34 minutes ago, markaoffy said:

I had a minor operation in Ayutthaya in a private hospital some years ago. No overnight stay just few hours ! The bill came to 75000 baht! My Thai partner made a vigorous complaint for some hours and it came down to 30,000bht . It just proves that even Hospitals will “try it on “ with falangs! And you need to make a big noise ! 500k for a leg operation? Ridiculous ! What did that include, a new prosthetic leg ?

I had a gallbladder removed a couple of months back, the bill was 200,000 baht including 3 nights in a private hospital with private room. I was told exactly how much I would be up for before I was even admitted, so there was no "springing" a price on me after the op. Surprised that someone wouldn't ask the price before they agreed to the operation.

I had to read it a few times.
I guess if you are unconscious it might be difficult to request a transfer.
My suggestion would be to keep a card in your pocket with that particular request....in big bold letters Thai and English.
Have it laminated also..
I didn't spell it out as i thought it was obvious but seems it wasn't. When you are no longer unconscious you can request to be transferred to a government hospital, I'm just not sure how easy that it. A friend tried to get his mum moved from a private hospital to a government one and they refused

18 hours ago, BritTim said:

As others have said, the bill sounds exorbitant. Would you care to name and shame the hospital?

The reputable hospitals, quoting reasonable charges will usually do their best to work with people who cannot pay (or, at least, cannot pay promptly). This may include writing off part of the amount if they see you as a hardship case.

Would you care to name and shame the hospital? "

Now you know full well he would have to be extremely naive or daft to do something like that on here:blink:

12 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Congratulations on your new hips and your new fake teeth. I'm just wondering who the loser here is?

Those who are stuck in a hospital unable to pay the bill because of their irresponsibility.

Revolut premium card cost 10€ monthly as a travel insurance includes cover 11 000 000 GBP the Revolut app on your smartphone locate you when you abroad and you automatically cover.
There's always a catch with Revolut, i imagine cover is only for a max number of days and other exclusions. I had a look on their website and as per usual the T&Cs for medical cover is difficult to find. I assume you've worked out the rate you get in Thailand is poor? Its hidden on their site somewhere

Might I suggest, sorry if this is throwing a cracker in the woodpile, but we don't know the EXTENT of the 'deep cut' nor any nerve damage, infections or much else. Let's see the breakdown bill before we condemn eh?

Another thing, private hospitals undoubtedly attract the best physicians and so please be GUARDED in your advice to go to a 'government hospital'. Doctors are like car mechanics some are good and some are ****.

45 minutes ago, stropper said:

Two new hips? you sound as if you are on your last legs, what did you do with your old teeth?

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, pby92 said:

There's always a catch with Revolut, i imagine cover is only for a max number of days and other exclusions. I had a look on their website and as per usual the T&Cs for medical cover is difficult to find. I assume you've worked out the rate you get in Thailand is poor? Its hidden on their site somewhere

Trip of 40 days 183 days by year

GLOBAL MONEY APP
Group Travel Insurance Policy
Overseas Emergency Medical Assistance and Expenses
This summary contains the key features of the group policy. It does not contain the full terms and conditions, which can be found in the group policy wording.
It is particularly important that the Group Policyholder and Bene ciaries read the sections on key exclusions.
Conditions
It is essential that bene ciaries refer to the Important Exclusions and Conditions Relating to Health section in the group policy wording as failure to comply with these conditions may jeopardise a claim or cover. If a bene ciary is travelling to Australia and they require medical treatment they must enrol with a local Medicare o ce.
Bene ciary
Is an individual aged between 18 and 70 that:
• holds a premium account with the group policyholder; (or a named Travel Companion(s) on the
Bene ciaries Statement of Insurance)
• is registered under the healthcare system in their home country (which must be within the European
Economic Area);
• is not travelling against medical advice and have sought medical advice if they have any health concerns
a ecting their ability to travel;
• is travelling abroad on a trip.
A bene ciary is not party to the insurance contract which is solely between the group policyholder and us.
Policy Term
This group policy is valid for the period of insurance shown on the Statement of Insurance. Cover applies for the duration of the bene ciary’s trip provided that:
• the trip starts and ends during the period of insurance.
• no trip lasts longer than 40 days.
• the maximum number of days for which bene ciaries are covered in any 12 month period is 183 days.
Revolut/Group/121702
   Change In Health
If there are any changes in your health after you are provided cover under this Group Policy, this can a ect the cover we provide and / or the cover you require. There is no cover under this policy for any pre-existing medical conditions not listed as being covered in the list of acceptable conditions within the group policy wording. Please review the terms and conditions of the policy booklet in full or contact us if you are in any doubt whether cover may apply if you have a change in health.
Key Bene ts
• Emergency medical service - costs of services required to arrange emergency medical assistance or transport home following an accident or illness whilst on a trip up to a  nancial policy limit of £15,000,000.
• Overseas emergency medical assistance & expenses - up to a  nancial policy limit of £15,000,000 for emergency medical treatment and related expenses if the bene ciary falls ill, is injured, during their trip
outside their home country:
• Emergency medical treatment, including the costs of rescue or assistance services to take the bene ciary
to a up to a  nancial policy limit of £15,000,000.
• Related expenses including extra costs for transport and accommodation if it is medically necessary for
the bene ciary to return home; stay after the date they were going to return home; and for one relative
or friend to stay with, accompany or travel to be with the bene ciary.
• In the event of death, funeral costs abroad or returning the bene ciary’s body / ashes to the home
country.
• Emergency dental treatment for immediate pain relief up to a  nancial limit of £300.
OPTIONAL COVER EXTENSIONS:
Winter Sports: If you participate in a speci ed winter sports activity, we will pay up to £15,000,000 for your emergency medical expenses.
Key Exclusions
• The  rst £75 of each claim you make (this is your excess).
• Any claim relating to a pre-existing medical condition, as set out under to any reason set out under
Important Exclusions and Conditions Relating to Health section of this wording.
• Any treatment or expenses in Your Home Country.
• Any non-essential medical treatment, surgery, investigations or tests which are not related to the Serious
Illness or Bodily Injury that You originally went to Hospital for.
• Any treatment that the Emergency Assistance Service con rms can reasonably wait until You return to
Your Home Country.
• Any expenses relating to replacing any medication, which is known by You to be required or continued
at the time of You starting any Trip.
• Any claim relating to a tropical disease if You have not had the recommended inoculations and / or taken
the recommended medication as directed, for Your destination.
• Any cosmetic surgery.
• Any expenses or treatment funded by a Reciprocal Healthcare Agreement (RHA).
• The extra costs of single or private accommodation in hospital, or any treatment or services provided by
a spa, nursing home or rehabilitation centre.
• The cost of telephone calls, other than for calls to the Emergency Assistance Service or for receiving calls
from the Emergency Assistance Service.
• The cost of taxi-fares, other than for Your travel to and from hospital relating to Your admission,
attendance for outpatient treatment or appointments or for collection of medication prescribed for You
by the hospital.
• Normal Pregnancy or Childbirth, without any accompanying Bodily Injury, Serious Illness or Complications
of Pregnancy or Childbirth.
• Your wilful, self-in icted injury or Serious Illness, suicide or attempted suicide, sexually transmitted
Revolut/Group/121702
   diseases, solvent abuse, use of drugs (other than drugs taken in accordance with treatment prescribed
and directed by a Medical Practitioner, but not for the treatment of drug addiction).
• Your self-exposure to needless peril (except in an attempt to save human life).
• You drinking too much alcohol, Your alcohol abuse or Your alcohol dependency. (In respect of You
drinking too much alcohol, We do not expect You to avoid alcohol, but We will not cover any claims that occur because You have drunk so much alcohol that Your judgement is a ected and You need to make a claim as a result).
• Unless Your life is in danger or You are attempting to save human life, You:
• jumping or diving from a pier(s), a wall(s), a bridge(s) or a rock(s) including tombstoning or shore diving,
o climbing on top of or jumping from a vehicle,
o climbing or jumping from a building or balcony,
o climbing or moving from any external part of any building to another part (excluding where stairs
are being used) and falling, regardless of the height.
• Your travel to a country, a speci c area or event to which the UK Foreign and Commonwealth O ce,
www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice, or the World Health Organisation, www.who.int/ith/en, has advised
the general public against all or against all but essential travel.
• Your failure to comply with the terms and conditions of the Eligibility; the Special Conditions Relating to
all Claims or the Reciprocal Health Agreements sections of this policy.
• Your stress, anxiety, depression or any other mental or nervous disorder.
• Any participation in or practice of any professional entertaining or professional sports or competitive
activities.
• Any participation in or practice of any other sport or activity, Manual Work or racing unless shown as
covered on the sports and activities table.
• Unless speci cally covered under this insurance, any other loss, damage or additional expense following
on from the event for which the Bene ciary is claiming unless We provide cover under this insurance. For example, loss of earnings due to being unable to return to work following bodily Injury, Illness or disease happening while on a Trip.
 • Operational duties of a member of the Armed Forces.
• The use of a motorised vehicle on a Trip covered under this Group Policy unless a full driving licence is
held permitting the use of such vehicles in the country concerned.
• Any Trip which is a one way journey or if the Trip is longer than the duration shown on the Statement of
Insurance.
• Any payments You would normally have made during Your Trip or which do not fall within the events
insured by the Group Policy.
• Any loss caused by currency exchanges or  uctuations.
• Loss or damage more speci cally insured by another policy.
• Any costs incurred by You or the Group Policyholder which can be recovered from the service provider. • Any circumstances You were aware of at the time of taking out this Group Policy that could reasonably
be expected to give rise to a claim.
• The Group Policyholder or Bene ciary’s own unlawful action or any criminal proceedings against them. • War, invasion, acts of foreign enemies, hostilities or warlike operations (whether war be declared or not),
civil war, rebellion, revolution, insurrection, civil commotion assuming the proportions of or amounting
to an uprising, military or usurped power.
• Terrorism where such losses are caused by nuclear, chemical or biological attack, or the disturbances
were already taking place at the beginning of any Trip.
• Ionising radiation or contamination by radioactivity from any nuclear fuel or from any nuclear waste,
from combustion of nuclear fuel, the radioactive, toxic, explosive or other hazardous properties of any nuclear assembly or nuclear component of such assembly
Excess
The excess is £75 for each claim, which the bene ciary will pay.
 Revolut/Group/121702

How to Cancel
It is IMPORTANT to know that there will not be a refund of premium to the group policyholder if they cancel this group policy. The group policyholder can cancel this group policy by giving 90 days’ notice in writing to the address shown in the Statement of Insurance. In the event of cancellation by the group policyholder, they must notify each bene ciary of this group policy.
Cancellation Fee:
If the group policyholder wishes to cancel this group policy at any time, no return of premium will be paid to the group policyholder and we reserve the right to charge a reasonable administration fee.
How to make a claim
If you are overseas, please telephone our Emergency Assistance Service on +44 1733 224 956 (open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year).
For self paid expenses, please telephone White Horse on +44 1733 224 958 or email [email protected]
How to make a complaint
We know that sometimes, no matter how hard we try, we don’t always get it right. If we give you cause for complaint, it’s important that you know that we are committed to providing you with an exceptional level of service and customer care. When this happens, we want to hear about it so that we can try to put things right.
Should you have any complaint regarding your insurance or the way your claim has been dealt with, please contact:
The Customer Experience Manager
White Horse Insurance Ireland dac First Floor
Rineanna House
Shannon Free Zone
Shannon
County Clare Republic of Ireland
Alternatively, you can email [email protected]
  Revolut/Group/121702

IMO the story raises 2 big questions:
1) 500.000 THb is close to absurd
2) a hospital will first make sure the expenses can be covered through insurance or credit card. I cannot believe they let the cost go up to 500k before taking action.
My conclusion; troll

Just now, giddyup said:

The joys of old age, everything wears out eventually, even teeth.

mine are departing one by one, starting with the ones with expensive crowns followed by the ceramic teeth breaking off of the anchor teeth. I can't bite anyone  but I can give a nasty suck.

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

mine are departing one by one, starting with the ones with expensive crowns followed by the ceramic teeth breaking off of the anchor teeth. I can't bite anyone  but I can give a nasty suck.

Tell me about it. Lost 5 in the last couple of years that were all crowned.

32 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

First of all, avoid ambulance if possible - it is quicker and usually better to go to the hospital by whatever means of transport available where you are. Ambulance takes longer (since it must first reach you) and assuming you mean whatever is dispatched by the government 1669 number, you will have difficulty controlling where it takes you.

Secondly, each hospital has its own ambulance service (serving only that hospital), get the one for the hospital of your choice and keep it handy.

As to hospital: Pattaya City Hospital if it is nothing terribly complicated or specialized, otherwise one of these: Chonburi Provincial Hosp, Red Cross hosp in Sri Racha, or Queen Sirikit Navakl Hospital. Do not underestimate what care at a givernment hospital may cost you. It will definitely be less than at a private hospital but can still add up to a lot if it is a serious accident or illness. People who lack health insurance and are nto able to readily absorb a medical bill of over 1 million baht cannot afford to live in Thailand. Unfortunately quite a few nonetheless are here, and we read their stories almost every week - here and on the various internet "fund me" sites.

Once in a privarte hospital, you can be transferred to a government hospitakl but:

1) They will; nto transfer you until you have paid their bill in full.

2. You have to be able to make that request or have family member to  do it. ..and may have to be quite assertive about it.

Archived