friend stuck in hospital with huge bill he can't pay,what now?

rojaron

9 hours ago, ericthai said:

really, so would not live up to your responsibility of payment for something they did to help you and just screw them and leave?? No wonder the government wants to force people to get insurance.  Actions like what you propose is exactly why expats are getting harassed by Thai officials.  

Goverment should do that!!! everyone should get insurence, this is normal in the west

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/23/2018 at 9:33 PM, elviajero said:

Bottom line is that they can, with a court order, stop your friend leaving the country until the bill is paid or repayment agreed.

So what happens if his visa expires? Who takes precedence, the court or Immigration?

All hospitals except for 3 in Bkk (the big names) have 2 tier pricing. All private hospitals and govt hospitals. One for Thai nationals another for others. 

As a tourist your chances of getting the Thai price are slim but with the right advocate and evidence of inability to pay etc. It might be possible. 

Even if you live here forever you may never get Thai prices at hospitals, but some have. I have a private hospital here and I get the local price. I have also never had insurance claim - always paid cash and wifey knows owners family. 

3 hours ago, LolaS said:
12 hours ago, ericthai said:

really, so would not live up to your responsibility of payment for something they did to help you and just screw them and leave?? No wonder the government wants to force people to get insurance.  Actions like what you propose is exactly why expats are getting harassed by Thai officials.  

Goverment should do that!!! everyone should get insurence, this is normal in the west

The “government” don’t care about insurance and aren’t forcing anyone to get it. I doubt the authorities are bothered about a few unpaid hospital bills.

Foreigners having insurance would only benefit Thailand if it were provided by Thai insurers.

Compulsory insurance is not “normal in the west”.

How often do hospitals take farangs to court for not paying up? Like one in every two cases or a hundred cases.

Where do they keep him or her? Such people who have got better but unable to pay. Dont reckon there are holding places in hospitals for non-paying patients.

If they do manage to go to court with their claim, can the court call up tax paperwork from the farang's native country? A review of his assets etc? 

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

So what happens if his visa expires? Who takes precedence, the court or Immigration?

You have to keep your permission to stay valid otherwise you're in the country illegally.

Immigration will issue a 90 day extension of stay with proof that you’re involved in litigation or court proceedings. New 90 day extensions can be issued all the time proof of involvement is provided.

30 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Foreigners having insurance would only benefit Thailand if it were provided by Thai insurers.

It would benefit Thailand in as much as hospitals wouldn't be stuck with unpaid bills by irresponsible falangs.

46 minutes ago, elviajero said:

The “government” don’t care about insurance and aren’t forcing anyone to get it. I doubt the authorities are bothered about a few unpaid hospital bills.

Compulsory insurance is not “normal in the west”.

"Compulsory insurance is not “normal in the west”."

Not sure which "West" you are talking about. It is compulsury if you want to get Schengen visa or if you want to live in an EU country.

30 minutes ago, Letseng said:

"Compulsory insurance is not “normal in the west”."

Not sure which "West" you are talking about. It is compulsury if you want to get Schengen visa or if you want to live in an EU country.

My wife didn’t need any insurance to get a visitor (tourist) visa for the UK (considered to be in the ‘west’ and Europe), or when she got her ‘family visa’ (long term).

Not all countries in the EU are in the Schengen Area. Not all countries in the Schengen Area are in the EU.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

It would benefit Thailand in as much as hospitals wouldn't be stuck with unpaid bills by irresponsible falangs.

Falangs dont buy insurance after they have arrived in Thailand, do they? The OP has not explained what visa his friend is on. If he had bought insurance from a Thai insurer, Thailand would lose money. More so if his accident were brought on by himself. 

22 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Fine, bring it in, will cost £20 a year to get annual travel insurance certificate

Actually the Thai authorities are already talking with insurance companies to come up with a compulsory insurance cover which would be part of a visa application or extension of stay. I would expect it to be somewhere close to the 30,000 baht per year mark, and it's not travel insurance, it's a Health Surcharge and proposed to cover any emergency treatment but not any follow up treatment such as physiotherapy etc.

2 hours ago, elviajero said:

My wife didn’t need any insurance to get a visitor (tourist) visa for the UK (considered to be in the ‘west’ and Europe), or when she got her ‘family visa’ (long term).

Not all countries in the EU are in the Schengen Area. Not all countries in the Schengen Area are in the EU.

Non-EU Schengen member countries are EEA countries. Your wife may not have needed to cover medical for UK when she applied for a visa in the past.  try now. 

Actually the Thai authorities are already talking with insurance companies to come up with a compulsory insurance cover which would be part of a visa application or extension of stay. I would expect it to be somewhere close to the 30,000 baht per year mark, and it's not travel insurance, it's a Health Surcharge and proposed to cover any emergency treatment but not any follow up treatment such as physiotherapy etc.
Give us a link to a very recent news report about them being in discussion? Plus show us your calculation for the 30k

2 hours ago, elviajero said:

A visit visa is only valid for 6 months. If from outside the EEA (European Economic Area) then any visa which gives you permission to stay in the UK for over 6 moths requires an IHS (immigration health surcharge) to be paid. The current rate is £200 per year but that is set to double this year.

If you apply for a settlement visa the IHS charge is currently £600 but will rise to £1200 this year, this must be paid online when you make the online visa application. Your application will not be processed without the payment being made.

You will still need to pay even if you have private medical insurance.

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigration-application/who-needs-pay

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
12 minutes ago, Fish Head Soup said:

Give us a link to a very recent news report about them being in discussion? Plus show us your calculation for the 30k

I work in the insurance business, I don't rely on Thaivisa for my information.

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
6 minutes ago, Fish Head Soup said:
I work in the insurance business, I don't rely on Thaivisa for my information.

Explain how it would work then for the different visas and extensions. And a bit more info about the 30k?

They don't know ho it will work! Do you not understand how consultations work? The Thai government is in consultation with the Insurance industry to work out an insurance platform to cover foreigners who stay in Thailand on long term visas and permission to stay. B30,000 per year would be a minimum number for sure.

Anyone who can't afford health insurance has no business living in Thailand anyway, so in the future you may be forced to look elsewhere for your 'retirement'.

1 minute ago, Fish Head Soup said:

They don't know ho it will work! Do you not understand how consultations work? The Thai government is in consultation with the Insurance industry to work out an insurance platform to cover foreigners who stay in Thailand on long term visas and permission to stay. B30,000 per year would be a minimum number for sure.

Anyone who can't afford health insurance has no business living in Thailand anyway, so in the future you may be forced to look elsewhere for your 'retirement'.

Is it likely to offer a better deal than what is available now.?

I consulted at Lloyds of London for a while, very sleepy industry insurance so i doubt anything will be concluded soon. Personally i wouldn't be against compulsory insurance, bring it on

1 hour ago, Letseng said:

Non-EU Schengen member countries are EEA countries. Your wife may not have needed to cover medical for UK when she applied for a visa in the past.  try now. 

It’s not required, even now!

7 minutes ago, elviajero said:

It’s not required, even now!

For a stay of over 6 months it is, see my previous post below.

1 hour ago, Fish Head Soup said:

If from outside the EEA (European Economic Area) then any visa which gives you permission to stay in the UK for over 6 moths requires an IHS (immigration health surcharge) to be paid. The current rate is £200 per year but that is set to double this year.

If you apply for a settlement visa the IHS charge is currently £600 but will rise to £1200 this year, this must be paid online when you make the online visa application. Your application will not be processed without the payment being made.

You will still need to pay even if you have private medical insurance.

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigration-application/who-needs-pay

A visit visa is only valid for 6 months.

They are available for up to 10 years, it’s only each visit that’s limited to 6 months.

If from outside the EEA (European Economic Area) then any visa which gives you permission to stay in the UK for over 6 moths requires an IHS (immigration health surcharge) to be paid. The current rate is £200 per year but that is set to double this year.

That is a NHS surcharge, not insurance.

It’s a tax. A tax being levied on families like mine because the NHS/UK Governments can’t control the ‘medical tourists’, and increased pressure on the service due to EU citizens.

13 minutes ago, Letseng said:

It is called "immigration health surcharge"

Which is a tax, and not insurance.

No one applying for any kind of visa, to stay for any length of time, is required to buy insurance.

Archived