Buying a car 2.5m baht budget

RAZZELL

3 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I have driven Mercedes and BMWs in addition to Hondas and Toyotas--hands down, the Japs have it over the Germans in reliability, maintenance and resale--and all that with a lower initial price, go figure. However, don't just take my experiences and word for it, google it and read.

Why should I google anything. You are stating facts so you should back them up with documentation or they are just your opinion.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

Why should I google anything. You are stating facts so you should back them up with documentation or they are just your opinion.

Well, my doubtful friend, did you not read? I said, " . . . don't just take my experiences and word for it, google it and read." 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I have driven Mercedes and BMWs in addition to Hondas and Toyotas--hands down, the Japs have it over the Germans in reliability, maintenance and resale--and all that with a lower initial price, go figure. However, don't just take my experiences and word for it, google it and read.

I believe you are right. It has been said that after 1990, M Benz cars

are designed by accountants.  Resale values are lead canoes.

BTW I don't like your photo.    :sorry:

4 hours ago, talahtnut said:

I believe you are right. It has been said that after 1990, M Benz cars

are designed by accountants.  Resale values are lead canoes.

BTW I don't like your photo.    :sorry:

Have a little compassion - he probably looks worse in real life. Like the picture of Dorian Gray.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Tofer said:

I agree they are not generally considered assets, but they do have an intrinsic value at any age, unlike groceries!

You don't need to be an expert to buy a second hand car, I never even test drove the one I bought, didn't want to sit in BKK traffic listening to the engine idling for a couple of hours, with only 6k on the clock and 2 years warranty remaining not much to worry about, and bought from a mature professional British expat.

If you are concerned you can always insist on a thorough check over at the nearest dealer.

We had earlier looked at one from a second hand dealer, he wouldn't allow a test drive 5 kms down the road to the Mitsubishi dealer to get it checked over, so told him where to stick it. He did us a huge favour, saw the one we bought on bahtsold a week later.

My first car was my first and last second hand car, it had an rollover accident which wasn't written down or told me, but it only had 15k km on it. I crashed it myself because the ABS did not work, also the airbags didn't work. 

The other problem are about issues that are there but nobody really cares about them or understands them. I had a car of 7 years once with around 100k km on the clock which was driving so badly at 100km/h+, even though I had changed many things and had gone to multiple repair shops, all insisted that the car is perfectly fine.

With 2nd hand cars, you either have luck or knowledge. For the normal person it is just to risky, even more in a country where everything can be changed with a little cash.

8 hours ago, smotherb said:

Not everybody has to worry about the resale value on the car they buy.

3 hours ago, pedro01 said:

I was on here last year asking a similar question. Out main car is a 528i M Sport, was looking for something else - along the lines of something smaller but fun. - and Thailand has a pitiful selection of underpowered small-medium sized cars. 

I looked at the smaller VWs - Golf and another I can't remember the name of but it was very pretty and very underpowered cars here. Mazda's too - I think they have washing machine engines in them. The Subaru BRZ looked nice but no-one had one to test drive. WRX STi was a little pricey, great performance but very ugly.

I test drove the CLA250 AMG - great car BUT only midgets could fit in the back - my son is 14 but his head was touching the ceiling - so no chance - too dangerous.

Ended up with the GLA250 AMG - happy with it for a number of reasons

- 2.0 liter engine puts is above all the others in it's class

- decent performance 0-100 in 6.6 seconds

- 211 HP - was almost 100HP above the 2.0 liter Mazda  CX-3  at the time which was 115HP (how Mazda manage to squeeze so little out of their engines is a mystery)

- better ground clearance than the 5 series, so if we have to go where roads are rough - we can take that car

- can get the bikes in the back with the rear seats down 

- very nice interior

Only downside is power to weight ratio - so you have to respect the accelerator. In the BMW, you can floor it and the worst that will happen is the tail will go a bit. You have to treat the GLA with a bit more respect as the power is to the front end and it's higher and lighter. 

Only other thing I'd look at (not sure of the price) is the 330i hybrid - that's got very decent performance

Thank you for that post.

I have sat in a GLA in the UK and found them a bit small in the front. But you say you can get bikes in the back? A normal "racer"?

I like the idea of additional ground clearance/better view. If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy it from, did you buy new and how much did you pay? 

I will have to give it another try and maybe a test drive. 

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

Razz

A few things (IMO) to consider with the GLA250:  

Engine is good as Pedro said but easily overpowers the FWD chassis relying on ESP.  Overseas Benz fit AWD for good reason.  The front suspension design is not great and can allow torque steer at lower speed acceleration. 

The dual clutch trans programming seems a bit too lethargic in economy and a bit too frantic in sport for normal commuting or cruising.  Pity Benz could not get a normal mode in between the two.  

Ride is firm and very stable at high speed.  Run Flat Tyres create a lot of tyre noise on rough bitumen.  

Interior looks good and the sunroof is impressive.  The sports seats could use a bit more adjustment range and the Benz gear shift disguised as an indicator stalk did not do much for me but YMMV.  

Resale value was OK - lost about 20% in 2 years.  The New BMW 3 series may have an affect when it reaches LOS? 

Good Luck with what ever you Choose.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

Thank you for that post.

I have sat in a GLA in the UK and found them a bit small in the front. But you say you can get bikes in the back? A normal "racer"?

I like the idea of additional ground clearance/better view. If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy it from, did you buy new and how much did you pay? 

RAZZ

Mines a mountain bike with 29 inch wheels - see image...

Bike.thumb.jpg.daf443f07131439d9206844092741d94.jpgI can't remember the exact price - but I got 100k off the retail price and free 1 years insurance etc. etc.

I got it from the motor show - that's generally where I buy cars - but I'd test driven one a few weeks before at a Bemz dealer on Ram Intra - I initially went to Benz Thong Lo but they sent me to Ram Intra for a test drive - which let me take it on the motorway sans traffic.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jitar said:

Razz

Engine is good as Pedro said but easily overpowers the FWD chassis relying on ESP.  Overseas Benz fit AWD for good reason.  The front suspension design is not great and can allow torque steer at lower speed acceleration. 

The dual clutch trans programming seems a bit too lethargic in economy and a bit too frantic in sport for normal commuting or cruising.  Pity Benz could not get a normal mode in between the two.  

Ride is firm and very stable at high speed.  Run Flat Tyres create a lot of tyre noise on rough bitumen.  

Interior looks good and the sunroof is impressive.  The sports seats could use a bit more adjustment range and the Benz gear shift disguised as an indicator stalk did not do much for me but YMMV.  

Resale value was OK - lost about 20% in 2 years.  The New BMW 3 series may have an affect when it reaches LOS? 

Good points..

There is a normal mode - they call it "comfort".... ;-) - I presume that's what you meant. I never used economy on mine, I though that was for when I had a vegetarian driving.

The AWD is available here - the 4Matic - which is much faster... I didn't want to spend that much 

In terms of the 3 series - I don't think it's a competitor. It's not  a hatchback and low to the ground. You'd have to compare the 250 with the M Sport version of the 3 I think. The GLA200 with the basic 320. The 3 handles better but less room in the back as it's RWD and no chance of getting anything in the trunk. More legroom in the back than the 3 series too.

I'd say the GLA250 a better comparison to the X1 (or X2 whatever that's going to look like)

I looked at the 1 series but biggest they had here was a 118i which was pitiful. Didn't fancy the X2 as interior almost the same as my 5 series. One thing about Benz - they have different interiors on different cars. With BMW it's the same one on all - which makes having 2 Bimmers less appealing. 

Edited by pedro01

I have to agree with a previous poster about the CX5.
Take one for a test drive with your wife.
Comes loaded and with the $$$$
you save you can take a horde of poor Thai kids for ice cream.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

11 hours ago, pedro01 said:

I was on here last year asking a similar question. Out main car is a 528i M Sport, was looking for something else - along the lines of something smaller but fun. - and Thailand has a pitiful selection of underpowered small-medium sized cars. 

I looked at the smaller VWs - Golf and another I can't remember the name of but it was very pretty and very underpowered cars here. Mazda's too - I think they have washing machine engines in them. The Subaru BRZ looked nice but no-one had one to test drive. WRX STi was a little pricey, great performance but very ugly.

I test drove the CLA250 AMG - great car BUT only midgets could fit in the back - my son is 14 but his head was touching the ceiling - so no chance - too dangerous.

- 211 HP - was almost 100HP above the 2.0 liter Mazda  CX-3  at the time which was 115HP (how Mazda manage to squeeze so little out of their engines is a mystery)

- better ground clearance than the 5 series, so if we have to go where roads are rough - we can take that car

- very nice interior

Only downside is power to weight ratio - so you have to respect the accelerator. In the BMW, you can floor it and the worst that will happen is the tail will go a bit. You have to treat the GLA with a bit more respect as the power is to the front end and it's higher and lighter. 

Only other thing I'd look at (not sure of the price) is the 330i hybrid - that's got very decent performance

Did you also look at the Audi Q5 while you were shopping for the GLA?

Totally agree with the 330e plug-in Hybrid. 252 HP makes it a very fun car at an attractive price. 

My 523i V6 also let the tail out if you turn a sharp corner and floor it on the exit, but it straighten up fast.

Edited by ExpatOilWorker

20 hours ago, transam said:

Motor tech has moved on big time. Way back when Mercs were up front with tech that others have now caught up with the goods...I drove all sorts of Mercs starting in the 70's and they were streets ahead of the rest..

Even now I wish I had my 2001  Merc E220 CDI auto, l could not fault it..:smile:

You are right, those old Benz were magnificent. I still have my old '66 Benz and use it as an every dayer.  Designed by an artist, not a stylist.

Your Transam would be similar..bet you woudn't sell that either.

Yes they were OK back in the day. BMs were Widow Makers, and my 280 SE 3.5 had seats harder than those cement things outside Mon n Pop Shops. Miss em. ?, a bit. Only the 3 .0 Alpina Coupe  very much despite it denting easily on the Ali.  panels. The V8 of the Benz obviously. Wheres those 50 years gone.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Did you also look at the Audi Q5 while you were shopping for the GLA?

I think the Audi in Thailand is too expensive. But the Q5 is that one not much bigger then the GLA.. i think Q5 have to compete with GLC not GLA. For GLA you should have a look at Q2 or Q3. and compare to them I like the GLA more

9 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

Thank you for that post.

RAZZ

Surprised you found it small in the front. Seats, steering wheel etc adjustable. It isn't a large car so most people more concerned about space in the back. It isn't that elevated either.

Having said that I love mine and it certainly has plenty of poke. I think you would have to be a bit reckless to lose control as Mercedes has plenty of safety features. I find it an honest car. Goes where you point it.

Looks really good too but of course that is subjective

New from a Mercedes dealer they are just under 2.4m with the usual extras like insurance, sat nav card etc

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pedro01 said:

Not everybody has to worry about the resale value on the car they buy.

Quite true; and those who die immediately after purchase do not have to worry about reliability or maintenance either.

8 hours ago, Jitar said:

Razz

I think my C class estate has a harsh ride unless in comfort mode. Sport is reasonably "poky".

Took me ages to get used to the indicator gears and I occasionally select neutral by mistake...but that's probably my crap driving.

RAZZ

20 hours ago, pedro01 said:

- very nice interior

The 211 HP is indeed nice but the GLA is just too damn ugly compared to a 320 or 330. And, it is FWD instead of BMW RWD, which is a real deal breaker. And yes, I really like the design of all the Mercedes coupe versions, ie. CLA, GLC, CLS, C/E but that GLA is just a mistake.... from my pov :stoner:

Funny thing about the C43 AMG, it dropped to 4.2 mb some weeks ago. Before it was priced at around 5.6mb. They just discounted it 1.4mb cheaper. What a real disaster, imagining you bought a c43 some months ago for the sticker price of 5.6 and then they drop the price like that. Crazy marketing. As of the topic the budget is just 2.5 but with a little more you get an AMG.

Edited by IsaanFam

29 minutes ago, IsaanFam said:

The 211 HP is indeed nice but the GLA is just too damn ugly compared to a 320 or 330. And, it is FWD instead of BMW RWD, which is a real deal breaker. And yes, I really like the design of all the Mercedes coupe versions, ie. CLA, GLC, CLS, C/E but that GLA is just a mistake.... from my pov :stoner:

Funny thing about the C43 AMG, it dropped to 4.2 mb some weeks ago. Before it was priced at around 5.6mb. They just discounted it 1.4mb cheaper. What a real disaster, imagining you bought a c43 some months ago for the sticker price of 5.6 and then they drop the price like that. Crazy marketing. As of the topic the budget is just 2.5 but with a little more you get an AMG.

The C43 AMG used to be 5.19 m, right?

Well spotted it dropped to 4.14 m. 

https://m.mercedes-benz.co.th/content/media_library/thailand/mpc_thailand/BBDO_Thailand/Price_List/price_list_2017_en.object-Single-MEDIA.tmp/PriceList_1Nov_en_wh.pdf

interactions.attachments.1.Price List_MotorExpo_en_bl.pdf

Edited by ExpatOilWorker
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Ok, it is still a 1mb drop. And it is still crazy. I would be furious if I bought it a month ago. Wonder what happened there, might be that they producing it now inside Thailand instead of importing them.

12 hours ago, IsaanFam said:

Ok, it is still a 1mb drop. And it is still crazy. I would be furious if I bought it a month ago. Wonder what happened there, might be that they producing it now inside Thailand instead of importing them.

Maybe they thought the succers who would pay outrageous sums for their precious ego / image are getting thin on the ground.....

Benz have a history of screwing resale value.  The GLA200 was around 2.4M up until 2015 when the locally assembled GLA200 became available with a few less options for 2M and the GLA250 was added at 2.4M.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tofer said:

Maybe they thought the succers who would pay outrageous sums for their precious ego / image are getting thin on the ground.....

An outrageous sum to you is not an outrageous sum to others. 

My GLA250 AMG cost less than I earn  in 2 months. I presume you spend no more than a few months earnings on your cars, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1