Buying a car 2.5m baht budget

RAZZELL

I know this is a bit of a "how long is a piece of string type" question....

Over the next 3-6 months we are in the process of moving back to Bkk full-time.

What suggestions would members have for a Bangkok runaround for up to 2.5m baht?

At one time I fancied a big Pajero or Fortuna but they are way too big really for our needs. And clunky old piles of junk :smile:

Our needs are thus:

There is just the wife and I (and possibly in the near future an addition).

The car would be just for down the shops and dropping my wife off to the Airport Link for work...also the occasional run "up country" or a road trips for weekends away.

Need a bit of "poke" to get out of trouble but I'm by no means a quick driver.

I either fancy a Mercedes C Class (just about get an ex-demo C 250 for about 2.3 or an estate - Mrs might put the block on that as we had one in the UK)

Or - a BMW perhaps a 3 year old 3.20 or 3.28 for a 1.5-1.8m. Although, what I am leaning towards is maybe a last generation X3 for about 2.2m?

Not too up on BMW's but have read their value drops like a stone once the 5 year BMW warranty is up.

What are the "dangers" of buying "grey" imports (fully paid tax)

Any thoughts? Which Mercedes or BMW dealers do people suggest?

All ideas and links to actual cars gracefully received.

http://www.benz-certified.com/

https://www.facebook.com/bmwusedcar/

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

I like the new CLA Shooting Brake and it's right in your price range. Beautiful looking car in my opinion which isn't worth much now a days. lol

https://www.one2car.com/en/for-sale/mercedes-benz-cla250-amg-shooting-brake-sport-bangkok-metropolitan-srinagarindra-thepharak/4442727

Nice...

But direct from Mercedes...

http://www.benz-certified.com/vehicle_search/search_result?sub_model_id=516

Or...

http://www.benz-certified.com/vehicle_search/search_result?sub_model_id=493

Or for a couple of hundred grand more...

http://www.benz-certified.com/vehicle_search/product/3229

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

10 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

For 2.5 million you can get some VERY nice second hand cars. From a guys point of view I feel the Mercedes C-class and the BMW 3-series are too girly.

Check out the Mercedes CLS or the new BMW 5 series (G30) on one2car.

If you are an SUV type of guy, have a look at the new Mercedes GLC. They just started producing them in Thailand, so within the new year you will start see a lot on the second hand market.

Don't be afraid of buying from a tent, just do your homework, like check the blue book for the true manufacturing date and Google the VIN number. 

I had a Merc E-Class 220 diesel auto, brilliant ride...:stoner:

14 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

For 2.5 million you can get some VERY nice second hand cars. From a guys point of view I feel the Mercedes C-class and the BMW 3-series are too girly.

If you are an SUV type of guy, have a look at the new Mercedes GLC. They just started producing them in Thailand, so within the new year you will start see a lot on the second hand market.

Don't be afraid of buying from a tent, just do your homework, like check the blue book for the true manufacturing date and Google the VIN number. 

Mate bought a Pajero from a tent, transpires that the engine number did not match the blue book and the Vin number had the last 3 numbers filed and changed.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

Mate bought a Pajero from a tent, transpires that the engine number did not match the blue book and the Vin number had the last 3 numbers filed and changed.

There are always one rotten apple out there, but in general most tents just clean up the cars and sell them. It is a simple business.

There are so many ways to check and double check the car.

- Blue book is a good start as some cars have been driven years on red plates and the registration date is way off.

- Check the VIN number online.

- For newer cars, less than 30-40,000 km, week/year of the tyres should match the age of the car.

- Open a door panes and check the date stamp of an airbag. It should only be 3-6 month older than the car.

- Some older Mercedes have date stamps in window panels.

- With the right key movements and entering a default password, you can see the date of the software in my BMW.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Cheers.

I didn't know they made the GLC in Thailand...are they semi knock down kits?

The car will be for the wife and I to drive...but mostly me as she is too lazy...:smile:

RAZZ

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Cheers.

I didn't know they made the GLC in Thailand...are they semi knock down kits?

The car will be for the wife and I to drive...but mostly me as she is too lazy...:smile:

RAZZ

44 minutes ago, gamesgplayemail said:

I am still wondering why anybody who has enough money to buy new would buy second hand ? Do you really fancy having problems ?

If you can, buy any of the cheapest benz or bmw, they are anyway a lot more fun than any japanese toys made for people who cannot buy better.

Can you please tell me why a Benz or BMW is more fun than a Japanese toy?

I am asking, because for a Benz the GLA don't have all the systems installed, which are available for example in Europe. To have the most installed what I prefer I have to go to the GLC version, which is only available as diesel.

And the Benz in Thailand is much more expensive than a Japanese or Korean version.

For example a Mazda CX-5 has everything (Collision warning, blindspot, even head-up display built in and is about 1-2 million cheaper than the Benz.

I am considering at the moment about a car, but for example the blindspot warning would be very nice (which is not available at the GLA 250)

The biggest issue for me in Thailand is, that almost all cars have their fittings and systems preinstalled and you can not configure your car as you want it to have. Even the imported ones. Except you do a buy outside Thailand and import then the car, which probably would cost a fortune on import tax.

• Like 1

Why delude yourself. My BMW 5 is not worth the money, and the new Camery and  Accords are not Toys in some departments far better than mine.So why did i buy it.?. Because im old  and can, or leave the money to someone whose lazy, not because its better.!!:post-4641-1156693976:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HampiK said:

I am asking, because for a Benz the GLA don't have all the systems installed, which are available for example in Europe. To have the most installed what I prefer I have to go to the GLC version, which is only available as diesel.

And the Benz in Thailand is much more expensive than a Japanese or Korean version.

For example a Mazda CX-5 has everything (Collision warning, blindspot, even head-up display built in and is about 1-2 million cheaper than the Benz.

I am considering at the moment about a car, but for example the blindspot warning would be very nice (which is not available at the GLA 250)

The biggest issue for me in Thailand is, that almost all cars have their fittings and systems preinstalled and you can not configure your car as you want it to have. Even the imported ones. Except you do a buy outside Thailand and import then the car, which probably would cost a fortune on import tax.

The way you speak it is clear that you have never driven a Benz or BMW.

No Japanese car even for 2 millions can compare with the cheapest Benz or BMW.

I even checked the top camry and the top accor for 1.7 millions and compared to even the cheapest CLA benz, you feel like driving a truck with a motorbike engine.

I understand that not everybody can buy a German car, but people dont pay double price at least of any Japanese car just for a badge. They are clearly better to drive and mine even saved my life few times when having to avoid a box that a shit truck lost on the road. No Camry, Accor or SUV could have allowed to avoid the box and come back to my lane at the speed I was going.

1 hour ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Why delude yourself. My BMW 5 is not worth the money, and the new Camery and  Accords are not Toys in some departments far better than mine.So why did i buy it.?. Because im old  and can, or leave the money to someone whose lazy, not because its better.!!:post-4641-1156693976:

You must be joking. I do not care electronics and other shit, I would dream that my German car do not have any ! I am just speaking about the driving feeling and safety feeling that you will never find in a Japanese car.

6 hours ago, HampiK said:

Benz and BMW are only for those who change their cars every few years. They require lots of time and money in the long-run to maintain and look after. They are over-priced (in Thailand) relative to other cars for what you get. Is a 4M baht benz 3 times better than a 1.5M honda accord?

• Thanks 2

Just now, DavisH said:

Benz and BMW are only for those who change their cars every few years. They require lots of time and money in the long-run to maintain and look after. They are over-priced (in Thailand) relative to other cars for what you get. Is a 4M baht benz 3 times better than a 1.5M honda accord?

Well said, I change every 2.5 years. A climate control condenser for an Accord is about 20 K, for a BM5 its about the same price as a new small  Carry truck. :stoner:

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The GLA is a good suggestion... But don't overlook the Japanese cars - some of the top of the range models are now entering premium territory. 

I complete agree with you. From looking the GLA 250 is still far the nicest car I have seen. Also I liked the seats inside which looks great.

But as you say.. the Mazda CX-5 is quite similar and had some nice features for much less price.

In the next few days I will go to the Bangkok motor show and check the different cars out. So hopefully I will know afterwards which car I should buy.

I already drove the Mazda CX-5, Benz GLA 250 and Toyota C-HR (I know not exactly all the same type of cars)

17 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Well said, I change every 2.5 years. A climate control condenser for an Accord is about 20 K, for a BM5 its about the same price as a new small  Carry truck. :stoner:

I'd rather put my money into property/houses (which I don't own really lol), than an overtaxed car. The tax is insane on imported cars (and even those assembled here. The cx-5 is a good choice and much improved on the earlier model. There should be the cx-8 coming this year, which is larger and has a nice second row of seats. 

1 hour ago, gamesgplayemail said:

You must be joking. I do not care electronics and other shit, I would dream that my German car do not have any ! I am just speaking about the driving feeling and safety feeling that you will never find in a Japanese car.

Go and drive a new accord hybrid and then a benz CLA then come back and tell me how they compare. The CLA seems to ride of Taiwanese struts...."sporty" and not so comfortable....and most imports are less reliable over the long run that Japanese cars. That's a fact. 

• Haha 1