Planning for possible red stamp advice

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

As far as I'm aware , when you arrive in Thailand in possession of an 6 month METV , they stamp you in for 60 days and then you either have to leave Thailand or get that entry stamp extended for another 30 days and then you will have to leave after 90 days (60+30)

Immigration do not give you an entry stamp which expires after six months, when you arrive on a METV .

You would have to leave after 60 days (or extend).

You are saying that you dont have to leave Thailand after 60 days , but you are also saying that you DO have to leave Thailand after 60 days

I'm sorry but what drugs are you on? Where did I say you HAVE to leave after 60 days? If you WANT to you can but you DON'T have to

2 hours ago, darrendsd said:

The METV can be used for 60 days then a 30 day extension at Immigration is available if you want it, then you have to leave in order to get another 60 days

This is what I said, read and understand it, 60 plus 30 days extension at Immigration = 90 days, getting a extension means getting it at a Immigration Office within Thailand, 60 + 30 then leave to get another 60 days then 30 days again, so in that 6 months if you went to Ban Laem you would spend a total of 30 minutes out of the country in that 6 months, 1 hour if you did 9 months,  it really can't be any simpler 

2 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

so in that 6 months if you went to Ban Laem you would spend a total of 30 minutes out of the country in that 6 months, 1 hour if you did 9 months,  it really can't be any simpler 

OK, OK , OK .

Just answer me this question .

If you went to Ban Laem and left Thailand , went to Cambodia (for 30 minutes) and then came back to Thailand .

Would you have left Thailand or would you have stayed IN Thailand ?

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

OK, OK , OK .

Just answer me this question .

If you went to Ban Laem and left Thailand , went to Cambodia (for 30 minutes) and then came back to Thailand .

Would you have left Thailand or would you have stayed IN Thailand ?

Is that a serious question?

Just now, sanemax said:

You didnt answer the question .

You answered my question with another question .

Just answer my (serious) question

Oh my word surely you can't be asking this? Surely??

9 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

You have just said that you leave Thailand, go to Cambodia then come back and you are really asking if you have actually left Thailand??

YES of course you have left, you have entered another country, when you leave one country and enter another that means you have left Thailand

Words really do fail me

8 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Oh my word surely you can't be asking this? Surely??

You have just said that you leave Thailand, go to Cambodia then come back and you are really asking if you have actually left Thailand??

YES of course you have left, you have entered another country, when you leave one country and enter another that means you have left Thailand

Words really do fail me

We finally got there .

You cannot stay in Thailand on a METV for 6 months , you have to leave Thailand after 60/90 days .

• Like 1

We finally got there .

You cannot stay in Thailand on a METV for 6 months , you have to leave Thailand after 60/90 days .

Oh my god, as the saying goes, never argue with a idiot, you will never win

3 hours ago, Wang Lalker said:

ok thanks. got a new passport then thai  immigration wrote a long list of my previous thai entries onto the first page of the new passport.in thai language. this thai language writing has cause me issues at other non thai embassies because they dont know if it is some sort of bad thing as thai immigration also write bad occurrences in thai in peoples passports.

This is pretty big news imo. Do you mean when you entered the country at the airport with your new PP they literally wrote by hand all your old visas on the first page? Has anyone else heard of this? All this talk of new passports is totally meaningless if that's their new policy.

3 minutes ago, Wang Lalker said:

new passport was given to me in bangkok. so the writing of the previous dates happened on exit from thailand

Oh you mean you got issued a new passport in BKK and they transferred your visa history when they gave you the passport?

6 minutes ago, Wang Lalker said:

new passport was given to me in bangkok. so the writing of the previous dates happened on exit from thailand

This happens now and again but normally at Immigration Offices but is not normal practice, I got a new PP in Jan but only my last entry was put in my new PP

If all your previous history was put in your are unlucky

Edited by darrendsd

7 minutes ago, Wang Lalker said:

Its usually all done on computer .

The old PP number gets connected to the new PP number , so all your previous entries on your old PP will show up on immigration computer when you use your new passport

On 27-3-2018 at 9:17 AM, darrendsd said:

Embassy's do not keep records of visas issued, they just look at your current PP so if you have a blank one they don't know how many you have had previously from there or anywhere

When i applied for a new non-o  visa they called me to tell that i used the same photo as the year before so i had to bring a new recently taken photo to them.

1 minute ago, Thian said:

When i applied for a new non-o  visa they called me to tell that i used the same photo as the year before so i had to bring a new recently taken photo to them.

it doesn't seem plausible they wouldn't keep that information, it is recorded after all so it's just  a matter of look it up later. They show interest in not allowing x number of entries so why wouldn't they bother to inspect their past records?

8 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

This happens now and again but normally at Immigration Offices but is not normal practice, I got a new PP in Jan but only my last entry was put in my new PP

If all your previous history was put in your are unlucky

but is this happening because you applied for new passports in Thailand and you had to return your old passport to immigration?

1 minute ago, genericptr said:

it doesn't seem plausible they wouldn't keep that information, it is recorded after all so it's just  a matter of look it up later. They show interest in not allowing x number of entries so why wouldn't they bother to inspect their past records?

Soon Thailand will get the newest passports with a chip inside (the newest models like in Europe). I guess they can just read the chip and see all info on the screen...maybe also of older passports i don't know what's registered on that chip.

2 minutes ago, Thian said:

Soon Thailand will get the newest passports with a chip inside (the newest models like in Europe). I guess they can just read the chip and see all info on the screen...maybe also of older passports i don't know what's registered on that chip.

They've had the technology to properly record information for decades now but they don't seem to use it. If they really wanted to impose strict standards and streamline the process they could. I have no idea what their reasoning is or if they're just incompetent/lazy/indifferent etc...

2 minutes ago, genericptr said:

They've had the technology to properly record information for decades now but they don't seem to use it. If they really wanted to impose strict standards and streamline the process they could. I have no idea what their reasoning is or if they're just incompetent/lazy/indifferent etc...

Well i have one of those newest passports but even in Tokyo narita they couldn't read it with their equipment, the io-officer said it was because i had the newest passport and that was only last year...Thailand will get the same passports so i guess they also get the equipment to read/write on the chip...

But i have no idea what's registered on the chip. It's part of thailand 4.0 i guess so probably they'll start now with streamlining their registration.

7 minutes ago, Thian said:

The chips are write once when the passport is issued and after that they are read only.

If they could be written every time the passport is used they would soon reach max capacity.

22 hours ago, genericptr said:
On 3/29/2018 at 10:12 AM, Wang Lalker said:

ok thanks. got a new passport then thai  immigration wrote a long list of my previous thai entries onto the first page of the new passport.in thai language. this thai language writing has cause me issues at other non thai embassies because they dont know if it is some sort of bad thing as thai immigration also write bad occurrences in thai in peoples passports.

This is pretty big news imo. Do you mean when you entered the country at the airport with your new PP they literally wrote by hand all your old visas on the first page? Has anyone else heard of this? All this talk of new passports is totally meaningless if that's their new policy.

The only report I have seen of this was to document the entries stemming from an entry into the country, which had been extended by "extensions of stay."   There have been no verified reports that immigration is, for example, listing a bunch of old tourist-visa entries.

@Wang Lalker- If you are reporting something new - a listing of old tourist-visa entries - please send a copy of this passport-page, with any personal-info obscured. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2018 at 8:14 PM, sanemax said:

Well, they stopped issuing back to back tourist visas at the time , so, you still couldnt stay longer than 90 days out of 180 on tourist visas

I'm not sure what you are referencing here.  Each consulate operates by its own rules, with arbitrary and inconsistent counts, but a very few (PI, France, Taiwan) are or ever forbid "back to back."

2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I'm not sure what you are referencing here.  Each consulate operates by its own rules, with arbitrary and inconsistent counts, but a very few (PI, France, Taiwan) are or ever forbid "back to back."

It was a reference to 10 or so years ago , when the short lived 90/180 day rule was in effect

• Like 1

On 3/29/2018 at 9:34 AM, sanemax said:

virtually no one in America is getting a longer than 30 day vacation

Virtually none get even that.  I never received more than a 3 or 4-day break, including the weekend 2-days, ever.  I could never have taken a trip to Thailand while "working a job" in the USA, since a flight further than Mexico or Canada would eat most of it.  Therefore, we lived like paupers to save money, start a business, and escaped "for good."   I realize a few elites and govt-workers still get vacations, like we "ordinary working folks" used to have, before the outsourcing and mass-immigration wrecked our middle-class.

The only question is whether Thailand wants more of our money to be spent here, or in other countries, instead.  We aren't "going back home" to make Immigration happy - that is for sure.

1 minute ago, JackThompson said:

Virtually none get even that.  I never received more than a 3 or 4-day break, including the weekend 2-days, ever.  I could never have taken a trip to Thailand while "working a job" in the USA.................

Yes, so the METV is not for you , its for people with long holidays that want to travel around a bit

Yes, so the METV is not for you , its for people with long holidays that want to travel around a bit

Actually, it would have worked fine for me in that respect - staying 60-90 days at a time, go to Cambodia, visit Thailand again, etc.  This is what I was doing on SETVs for years. 

The reason I didn't ever get one, was it was not worth shipping my body in a flying aluminum tube, 1/2 way across the planet, to "apply" for it, then return.  That would be silly, when a passport and/or the application could be mailed, or it could even be done via an online process. 

As only an anachronistic system of application for the METV was possible, I opted to stick with SETVs - always entering Thailand carrying antique travelers checks, which the Thai Immigration folks seem to think still have some sort of "meaning" as it relates to personal-wealth.

I am now on a Non-O-Multi, so this is no longer a personal concern.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Virtually none get even that.  I never received more than a 3 or 4-day break, including the weekend 2-days, ever.  I could never have taken a trip to Thailand while "working a job" in the USA, since a flight further than Mexico or Canada would eat most of it.  Therefore, we lived like paupers to save money, start a business, and escaped "for good."   I realize a few elites and govt-workers still get vacations, like we "ordinary working folks" used to have, before the outsourcing and mass-immigration wrecked our middle-class.

I am unsure whether this this still applies to anyone today, but I did manage to negotiate long vacations while in the US. It worked like this ...

I was working in software R&D. Situations often arose where it was an absolute business imperative to get a new feature or release out the door as soon as possible. Before moving to the US, I agreed with the very pragmatic R&D manager

1. When needed, I would work like a demon (sometimes seven days a week, 16 hour days for two or three weeks at a time) to get the software out of the door. We probably broke labor law regulations in the process.
  2. We counted up the extra hours worked and created a bucket of hours off in lieu that I could take as extra vacation under the normal rules for vacation in the company.
  3. We both deemed that this was mutually beneficial (leaving aside other considerations) as the long vacations prevented me from burning out, and kept me productive.

I can remember one particular year when I took a total of nearly eight weeks vacation (admittedly in two separate chunks).

Yes, when working in Germany and Holland I took even longer vacations, but my experience suggested that good managers in the US will listen to reason if you can show longer vacations are in the company's best interests.

• Like 1