Pattaya expat threatened with jail after posting negative restaurant review online

webfact

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/27/2018 at 10:40 AM, webfact said:

In order to avoid further legal ramifications Thaivisa has chosen not to publish the name of the restaurant or its owner.

A pity some of the major media outlets don't take a stand over Thai defamation law. Threatening a media company with legal action is somewhat more of a challenge than threatening an individual.

On 3/28/2018 at 5:59 PM, Jingthing said:

I know the pasta but don't understand why it would be priced at a super premium cost. I would if stuffed with something expensive but didn't the guy just described tomato sauce?

So tell us. 

Paccheri is a huge penne, if you want (and Italians would already disagree) which allows saucier dishes to take up a lot of sauce. The price is justified - usually - with the sauce. Now you can destroy the pasta with a can of Campbell or you do a home cooked sauce with lobster, real olives etc. 
That influences the price, apart from tablecloths, properly trained staff in kitchen and service, clean toilets by gender and off-road parking - among a lot of other things. So, as said, some pasta for B80 is overpaid and some pasta deserve B500+ per plate. Nobody is forced to eat anything at any price, the customer has the choice :sleep:

I never cease to be amazed by the large number of dishonest, corrupt and just plain incompetent businesses and individuals that seem to hide behind the defamation laws here.

If the law didnt exist the media and the courts would be full of complaints and accusations of dishonesty and corruption, and general criticism. But with the law in place very few complaints are ever heard, and so Thais can pretend that everything in the garden is rosy. Which is basically what they like to do.

16 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I never cease to be amazed by the large number of dishonest, corrupt and just plain incompetent businesses and individuals that seem to hide behind the defamation laws here.

If the law didnt exist the media and the courts would be full of complaints and accusations of dishonesty and corruption, and general criticism. But with the law in place very few complaints are ever heard, and so Thais can pretend that everything in the garden is rosy. Which is basically what they like to do.

Yep, it's a crying shame and nothing is going to change. It's the culture and if anything, it's getting even more so for reasons that ... (never mind) ...

Another one of those take it or leave it things ... 

3 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Yes there are - for those in the know :smile:

This is fake news.  I have heard of fake olive oil, but there are no fake olives, sounds like a marketing tactic for a resto....or maybe you would like to pony up the evidence?

On 3/30/2018 at 1:53 PM, Jonmarleesco said:

A pity some of the major media outlets don't take a stand over Thai defamation law. Threatening a media company with legal action is somewhat more of a challenge than threatening an individual.

The BBC did and the case against their Jonathon Head was dropped.

On 27/03/2018 at 8:56 PM, darksidedog said:

Ah hah! If you want to know the truth, get a Dark Side sniffer dog on it.

I now know (totally by conincidence on where I got invited tonight), the restaurant involved and trust me, the issue is not with their food cos it is exceptionally good.

And, yes, I have been there before, so this was not a one off, or miraculous improvement.

I actually earlier in this thread suggested the food might be crap and they should work on it. Ooops!

When you see the CCTV of it all absolutely nothing seems amiss. Then a mysterious post appears that differs somewhat in its description of everything.

The restaurateur involved freely admits he was OTT in suggesting legal action, though it is also suggested the poster concerned runs a very similar genre of business, so possibly all was not as above board as we have been led to believe.

No, I am not naming it. It does seem from video evidence though that there are two sides to every story. It is now up to you what to believe.

Did no one bother reading this post?

This whole thread is full of brain-dead lemmings apart from a very few with their own brain/opinion. The rest just follow suit - Boycott the place! This as%% owner! Give me the name I will never eat there!....

LOL at you lot!

A couple of years ago I used to go to a cafeteria in Soi Khao Talo to work on the computer when my house was out of electricity. All the sofas were always occupied by small kids (possibly those of the staff) and all the paying customers were left with less comfortable seats to choose from. Every time I ordered food and drinks for at least 300 THB, yet the staff had unfriendly look on their face. Once my ex girlfriend joined me there in the afternoon and after a chat with a staff member, she told me that they did not like me staying there so long. "Why is that, I like their coffee and khao pad", I asked. "Yes but it is not ok that you use their electricity and Wi-Fi ". Which I never did. My laptop was always fully charged and I used my own 4G broadband connection while sitting and working there.

That was the last time at that cafeteria, and I was happy to see them finish their business after some time when driving by.

Some land of smiles indeed.

On 3/28/2018 at 1:46 PM, gamesgplayemail said:

I write negative reviews all the time. How can people be stupid enough to use their real name on facebook or any forum is beyond understanding. Maybe they were Thai in their former life...

You are obliged to supply your real name with FB and provide ID these days. Any FB member can ask FB to validity another members ID.

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

No they cannot 

Yes. You simply contact FB. You request that they check that the name is in line with FB policy regarding the veracity of the name. You can get away with using a false name but it can be queried leading to FB demanding ID. It happened to me.

Archived