Pattaya expat threatened with jail after posting negative restaurant review online

webfact

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Cheeky. Won't work.

It's already determined it won't be OK to post the name of the restaurant here. 

But I think informing people VIA PM is still OK. 

Anyone?

Hook a brother up, will ya? 

It is ok to post the name if telling that this is a very good restaurant !

And I hate snitches...

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, gamesgplayemail said:

It is ok to post the name if telling that this is a very good restaurant !

And I hate snitches...

Is not. 

Snitches means informing to authorities.

I just want the info for my personal knowledge.

On 3/27/2018 at 10:46 AM, mikebell said:

be dealt with by the Court of Public Opinion.

SM is to express an opinion, not for what it all too often becomes: A witch hunt.

Both the restaurateur and the reviewer's names should be reported to the police for investigation of "threatening behaviour and possible libel action".

Of course we can expect the RTP to "jump to it" immediately and press charges on the least wealthy side...

:whistling:

I shake my head at this whole debacle. I have talked to several friends who are chefs

and restaurant owners over the years. This mostly before the days of social media. They welcomed

the feedback of patrons making a loop through the restaurant to talk to patrons. Of course,

they liked positive reviews. But they also welcomed negative feedback as constructive feedback

that gave them the chance to improve the restaurant. Sometimes offering complimentary dessert

or deducting the disappointing item from the meal to make things right. They understood that

it was better to retain a customer than find a new one. They also understood that dissatisfied

customers much more likely to relay their experiences than a happy customer. With social

than ever before. Of course, some customers are never happy but people who read reviews are

understanding of this. I read reviews of restaurants and hotels. I know to look at the big picture

with reviews. Most restaurant reviews are overwhelmingly positive. People are generally easily

pleased. This restaurant owner is possibly a little burned out working hard in an extremely competitive

business in Thailand and making no money. Maybe it is time to retire or find a new business

venture because he is clearly unsuited to run a restaurant at this time. Just my opinion.

9 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

Got to be the biggest mistake that restaurant ever makes. What on earth are they doing?! 

What they should be doing is apologising to the customer for his bad experience, address the problem and invite him back for free meal, simple.

Now everyone wants to know who they are just so they can avoid going.

I have a business and I have been through problems, we cannot always make everyone happy all the time. But the most important thing is fix, learn and move on. 

I dare say the name of the place is already out there.

Not necessarily...  If they're failing, the possibility of picking up millions in compensation in a civil lawsuit could be exactly what they need. I'm sure there are hundreds of people running restaurants in Pattaya that wish they hadn't bothered.

This is from TripAdvisors own website. (well actually a link from their website) I think this is some really bad advice for anyone living in Thailand.

• If you feel you genuinely have a problem with any service or accommodation, and you have already informed the management of the problem without a sufficiently concerned response (don’t demand to be “compensated” for little issues, that’s just douchy), then consider using your real name when writing a public review. I think it keeps us civil and accountable (which, if we’re going to demand that of these businesses, we should be willing to do it ourselves). There are many other “outlets” for reviews besides TripAdvisor, including Facebook pages, Google, and travel sites or publications which recommended them in the first place. When I worked as a hotel reviewer at Fodor’s my editor always forwarded the letters and emails sent in by readers about their experiences, and I would take them into serious consideration when revisiting a hotel and deciding whether or not to include it in the next edition. TripAdvisor may have given every traveler a “voice”, but it’s up to each of us to decide to use it in a responsible way.

On 3/27/2018 at 1:29 PM, Pattaya28 said:

So only "positive" reviews are allowed ? :cheesy:

If this is the case, then this leaves the entire group of 40,000 worthless.

I've long wondered what the point of restaurant reviews was in Thailand, for this very reason. If you write anything critical you could end up in court, which makes the job of a restaurant critic and the reviews they write completely pointless. It is astonishing how so many Thais are so immature that they can't accept criticism of any kind about anything. Most people in most other countries learn to do that when they are children, when they are taught right and wrong and how to correct anything that isn't right. Thais simply sulk like five-year olds when told something is wrong.

11 hours ago, InfinityandBeyond said:

Agreed. First rule in hospitality/F&B  industry, is "the customer is always right" even if they may be wrong. Usually a comp of some sort does the trick. It is a tough and competitive business. Reputation is everything. Not sure what this proprietor was thinking. He has done more damage to his business than the negative review IMHO. Recently ordered a filet mignon and was served a pork chop. I alerted the staff and the proprietor quickly came out and offered a free steak. I mentioned it was no problem with the chop but only to make sure the bill was adjusted accordingly. We were comped coffee and dessert and a free Sunday roast on the next visit. It was too much for a simple mistake, but showed to me the proprietor's commitment to maintaining his reputation. The pork chop was delicious and so was the Sunday roast. Needless to say, it made a great impression on me and I return frequently to enjoy the food and spend money there (far in excess of a single meal). So a good a business decision on the part of the proprietor. He has a repeat customer now. 

Exactly. I went to a pub restaurant in London with a friend and after an hour realised our food hadn't arrived. They were busy, but... They'd lost the order somehow, and as a result we didn't have to pay for both the food when it finally arrived and our drinks. Even in Bangkok, I had some ribs that were almost inedible, and the charge was cancelled. Of course the owner was English, not Thai. The most you can expect from a Thai would be a 'sorry sir' or a blank look. I want to a steak restaurant in Bangkok with family, and I ordered the same as my brother-in-law. His came and he finished his meal before mine arrived, and when I asked why the waitress burst into tears. It's like dealing with children.

On 27/03/2018 at 1:29 PM, Pattaya28 said:

So only "positive" reviews are allowed ? :cheesy:

If this is the case, then this leaves the entire group of 40,000 worthless.

To be clear, as the vast majority of the 40,000 members of the BC live in the Indian sub-continent or similar and have as much chance of eating in a decent Pattaya restaurant as I have of visiting Timbuktu, most of them are pretty worthless anyway ?

21 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I just got info that the review that I thought was the issue actually wasn't. 

In any case, I'm happy I brought up the issue that I did.

I don't think it's cool to post public reviews where you personally insult people working in businesses that can be specifically identified. 

I agree up to a point...then disagree. Just because someone is a business owner...in the field of customer service...doesn't give them Carte Blanche to be a jerk just because they are the boss. If this is the case and the customer, who should always be appeased or at least attempted, has a bad experience...then IMO they are justified in making negative comments and review about the individual. Even if the food and staff were good, but the owner was a prick...probably NOT going back and probably posting truthfully about the negative experience, including calling out the bad behavior of the owner.

2 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

I agree up to a point...then disagree. Just because someone is a business owner...in the field of customer service...doesn't give them Carte Blanche to be a jerk just because they are the boss. If this is the case and the customer, who should always be appeased or at least attempted, has a bad experience...then IMO they are justified in making negative comments and review about the individual. Even if the food and staff were good, but the owner was a prick...probably NOT going back and probably posting truthfully about the negative experience, including calling out the bad behavior of the owner.

Best to make sure your reviews are anonymous.

Finding the food or service in a restaurant not up to scratch is not defamation. A person and not an establishment has to be found wrongfully accused of something that defames them. I think the restaurant will come out the worse for this battle. Very stupid to take such unnecessary court action.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thailand is different than the west in publishing criticisms, culturally and legally.

I don't like that aspect of Thailand but nobody promised expats that they would like everything here.

I think the chances of getting into any legal trouble are really low as long as keep the digs fairly low key and informational.

But you can still do the digs.
But not always.

If you see a rat in a restaurant don't post about it.  That would hurt their business even it's the truth. 

But here are some digs that I can't imagine would invite lawsuits --

I would have preferred that the pasta was cooked al dente.

The charred blackened flaming brownie was not like my Mama used to bake.

And so on. 

That is 40000 people in the club alone that will know the restaurant's name and won't be using it. I know the name and I am in Bangkok. However when I travel to Pattaya in May I wont frequent the establishment regardless of the service or food as I don't condone the use of these draconian antiquated laws. People should stand up dont patronise and let it close down. That will send the right message.

30 minutes ago, Sumarianson said:

That is 40000 people in the club alone that will know the restaurant's name and won't be using it

Unfortunately that is not true, I am member and do not know and the majority do not either, they ask a lot themselves within the group.

5 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Why is this such a secret? Has this A-hole won? I'd out this dive in a heartbeat if I was privy! C'mon! Time for someone who knows to...

MAN UP! ? :vampire:

Well the sensitivity about naming and shaming is rather obvious in this case. Although I would like the name, the situation wouldn't stop me from eating there if I already like it or trying it if I think they might have good food. It would however influence me to take extra care if commenting on the place. 

On 3/27/2018 at 8:56 PM, darksidedog said:

Ah hah! If you want to know the truth, get a Dark Side sniffer dog on it.

I now know (totally by conincidence on where I got invited tonight), the restaurant involved and trust me, the issue is not with their food cos it is exceptionally good.

And, yes, I have been there before, so this was not a one off, or miraculous improvement.

I actually earlier in this thread suggested the food might be crap and they should work on it. Ooops!

When you see the CCTV of it all absolutely nothing seems amiss. Then a mysterious post appears that differs somewhat in its description of everything.

The restaurateur involved freely admits he was OTT in suggesting legal action, though it is also suggested the poster concerned runs a very similar genre of business, so possibly all was not as above board as we have been led to believe.

No, I am not naming it. It does seem from video evidence though that there are two sides to every story. It is now up to you what to believe.

OMG!... it all sounds like the famous Udon Thani sausage wars.

...or was it pies?

Either way, waste of bandwidth.

1 hour ago, Sumarianson said:

That is 40000 people in the club alone that will know the restaurant's name and won't be using it. I know the name and I am in Bangkok. However when I travel to Pattaya in May I wont frequent the establishment regardless of the service or food as I don't condone the use of these draconian antiquated laws. People should stand up dont patronise and let it close down. That will send the right message.

If it suffers due to the negative reviews (either food related or legal threat related), then the restaurant will have more solid evidence for a defamation case.

On Tue Mar 27 2018 at 12:32 PM, Anythingleft? said:

Defamation, which is a criminal offence in Thailand, is punishable by up to two years in jail.

Commentators have said previously that Thailand’s strict defamation laws have been used as a weapon by the powerful to silence critics.

This law in its current presentation is crippling Thailand from moving forward...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Defamation laws stop a country from moving forward??????

Ye gods????

On 3/27/2018 at 11:32 AM, Anythingleft? said:

Defamation, which is a criminal offence in Thailand, is punishable by up to two years in jail.

Commentators have said previously that Thailand’s strict defamation laws have been used as a weapon by the powerful to silence critics.

This law in its current presentation is crippling Thailand from moving forward...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

This law...and dozens of ridiculous others. Thailand can't get out of it's own way on almost every issue at every level. 

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well the sensitivity about naming and shaming is rather obvious in this case. Although I would like the name, the situation wouldn't stop me from eating there if I already like it or trying it if I think they might have good food. It would however influence me to take extra care if commenting on the place. 

Well as admin of Thailand Wine And Dine I deliberately went (anonymously) the next day with the intention of doing an honest review, good, bad or indifferent. As it turned out it was pretty good. Review was worded accordingly.

Chatting to the owner after the meal, it was clear that things had got out of hand, as I put it before 'a storm in a soup bowl', one that will hopefully soon blow over if it hasn't already.

Archived