Windows Defender

Briggsy

I recently had Windows 10 installed on my notebook at Tuk Com. One could call this cut-price Windows 10. I notice Windows Defender has the "Virus and Threat Protection" turned off. The other 2 components, "Device Performance and Health" and "Firewall and Network Protection" are turned on.

Is this an issue?

If I turn on the first component, will it stop the OS from working? If I don't turn it on, will I be unprotected?

If its a pirate windows activation etc, defender (or other AV programs) can sometimes see the bogus activation software as a virus/threat, so maybe turned off by the shop doing the windows setup. Probably just forgot to turn it back on but in the worst instance defender may remove the bogus activation software. As others have said, there is probably another AV running.

I cannot see another AV. I have looked through the programs and in the Task Manager. Usually they would be pretty obvious. I may have missed something.

The message on "Security and Maintenance" is "Windows Defender Antivirus is turned off and is currently being managed by your system administrator."

I would try turning it on as you do want that function operating - normally Windows 10 would be telling you to get it turned on however so not sure if they have compromised something or not - it does require daily updates (just was Windows 10 requires frequent updates to be secure). 

Of course the " Virus and Threat Protection" is the core/main component of Windows defender.

So it smells fishy if turned off (except if there is another virus protection SW).

And as already written: the cracker tools that are used would be detected and blocked.

Edited by KhunBENQ

11 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Another possibility would be to leave it turned off, and install some free AV.  This way you don't risk losing access to your "copy" OS.

:thumbsup:

This would be the way to go if you don't have confidence in Defender. I would even go the extra mile and pay the few hundred baht to get an AV suite that covers for virus/malware and a configurable firewall (not that there is much wrong with the window's one now a days). One of the most important pieces of software you can have in this world of on-line threats. Note that this is my view and that I do respect the people that don't use AV.

Optionally, turn on the protection and run a scan with windows defender. When/if the program detects anything (such as KMS), you have the option of how defender deals with the threat if you click on Details by the detected 'threat' reference Actions. It will give you the choice of either:

Delete & clean

Quarantine

Allow

or words to that effect. If something is detected, read up on it before making a decision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisinth said:

:thumbsup:

This would be the way to go if you don't have confidence in Defender. I would even go the extra mile and pay the few hundred baht to get an AV suite that covers for virus/malware and a configurable firewall (not that there is much wrong with the window's one now a days). One of the most important pieces of software you can have in this world of on-line threats. Note that this is my view and that I do respect the people that don't use AV.

Optionally, turn on the protection and run a scan with windows defender. When/if the program detects anything (such as KMS), you have the option of how defender deals with the threat if you click on Details by the detected 'threat' reference Actions. It will give you the choice of either:

Delete & clean

Quarantine

Allow

or words to that effect. If something is detected, read up on it before making a decision.

^This. Firewall's fine. Get the free version of Malwarebytes and run a manual scan every week or so--can schedule it as you wish. Also make the exception for the activator when it's found.

This begs the question of whether you should be using a "cut price" version of Windows. But I'll leave that matter for our hall monitors to discuss.

Edited by JSixpack

49 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

^This. Firewall's fine. Get the free version of Malwarebytes and run a manual scan every week or so--can schedule it as you wish. Also make the exception for the activator when it's found.

This begs the question of whether you should be using a "cut price" version of Windows. But I'll leave that matter for our hall monitors to discuss.

And again, if you don't mind the watermark, you don't need to personalize and are not worried about security updates (lack of security updates unconfirmed) then just run W10 inactivated................:whistling:

There is a nice little app called DenfenderControl from Sordum. It doesn't get installed, just run by clicking on it. You could simply Enable or Disable Defender, or even launch the app. Size of the app is just 700KB.

Main_O_46.png

It didn't have any effect on the Firewall! 

Run it as Administrator. 

I went back and asked them.

First, one guy said he would turn Defender Anti-Virus on. (a sales guy)

Then, another guy said that wasn't possible (a tech guy)

Then the sales guy said he would put NOD32 on.

The sales guy got another tech guy to put that on.

It seems to be updating so I think I now have an anti-virus.

Thanks for the suggestions.