Former traffic police inspector arrested for corruption

webfact

Former traffic police inspector arrested for corruption

By Thai PBS

police-station.jpg

National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) officials and police arrested a former traffic police inspector after gaining substantial evidence that he embezzled over 2 million baht of rewards paid to traffic police for arresting and fining trucks with black exhaust smokes.

The officer Pol Lt Col Surasak Srusawatkul was a traffic police inspector attached to the Central Traffic Division. He retired since 2012. He was arrested at his home and taken to Rattanathibet police station pending prosecution by the NACC.

The arrest came one month before the statute of limitation of the embezzlement case will expire as the crimes he committed began in 1998 when complaints were lodged with the NACC that the officer forged evidence to claim 20% of the reward for arresting vehicles with black exhaust smokes.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/former-traffic-police-inspector-arrested-corruption/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-03-29
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Well bugger me, finally arresting police crooks, long overdue.

Sad that they can only arrest a retired cop.

What about the current batch of crooks?

Hardly as if cops in the 'developed world' are regualarly prosecuted successfully for wrongdoing.

People in glass houses etc

• Sad 2

Wow, so this guy could have been legally collecting 70% of the exhaust fines he leveled against trucks, legally, under the police system. They're only getting him because he didn't settle for the normal 50% cut, but wanted an extra 20% cut by falsely claiming the citations were the results of informers....

I wonder what the cut is for things like helmet violations or speeding or failing to have a DL???

Under the reward system, duty officer will be given reward for making arrest of such vehicle at road checkpoints. 50% of the fine from vehicle owner will be paid as reward to officers. But in case that the arrest was made upon by traffic informer, officer will get 20% extra payment.

The NACC investigator said that the corrupted officer fabricated evidence by claiming most of arrests were made possible with the help of informers, thus earning him 20% extra payment, despite the fact that there were no informers, and most arrests were made at checkpoints.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, colinneil said:

He retired in 2012 Colin so it seems the NACC is about 6 years behind........:cheesy:

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, colinneil said:

"What about the current batch of crooks?"  The brown bags still circulate among them but not from retired coppers?  :whistling:

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

...as the crimes he committed began in 1998 when complaints were lodged with the NACC....

They need 20 years to punish a corrupt policeman?
Or is this a misprint?

Police priority is to catch a poster ("messenger") of a video instead! Saving face is No.1 priority in the kingdom.

I went on a trip to Trat  together with a friend from Singapore. We were stopped at a police checkpoint, my friend showed his Singaporean drivers license, the officer said that Singapore license was not valid in Thailand, my friend was fined 500 THB, when we had the receipt translated from Thai the reason for the ticket said expired Thai license!

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) officials and police arrested a former traffic police inspector after gaining substantial evidence that he embezzled over 2 million baht of rewards paid to traffic police for arresting and fining trucks with black exhaust smokes.

Transfer to a non-active post in view?

15 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

It's an infestation. crooks all over the place.

But there are some good guys out there.

keep up the good work,  hope you catch more. :thumbsup:

rats on the run.jpg

my resolution just can't make it out from the Jpg blurring...

'it's either a pack of tailless dog rears? or a bunch of headless monkeys??

but the jest is there nontheless :w00t: 

So, this is an interesting case. The cops can claim 20% of the fines legally as a bonus, something that has been suggested recently as if it wasn't already an incentive.

Seems this guy claimed it as his when the boys on the street should have got it, so he is a cop stealing from cops...

Well, he already has an "inactive post" since he is retired, so I wonder what the court will decide is his penalty?

Cut his pension? Or a couple of grey bills and we will forget about it?

On 3/29/2018 at 8:56 PM, tomacht8 said:

...as the crimes he committed began in 1998 when complaints were lodged with the NACC....

They need 20 years to punish a corrupt policeman?
Or is this a misprint?

Quite a busy organisation, and not really the crime of the century in a century when criminals ran the country and slashed their funding.

9 hours ago, halloween said:

Quite a busy organisation, and not really the crime of the century in a century when criminals ran the country and slashed their funding.

Criminals are still running the country but you rarely see them. Instead they installed fellow criminals, who like to play dress-up in army uniforms, in order to prevent democracy taking root in Thailand and so they can carry on raping the country. Simple really, but it won't last indefinitely.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stephen tracy said:

so they can carry on raping the country. Simple really, but it won't last indefinitely.

Mmmm.................. I don't know. It has been happening for a few hundred years now and not likely to change anytime soon. :sad:

The hiso backed by the military will make sure of that.  

Edited by lvr181
Additional comment

8 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Mmmm.................. I don't know. It has been happening for a few hundred years now and not likely to change anytime soon. :sad:

The hiso backed by the military will make sure of that.  

I don't think it's the elite backed by the military because it was the elites (those we cannot name) that installed the military. The military are their tool. And when they start to feel the trough is being threatened they install their pretend soldier attack dogs to make sure exclusive rights to the trough remain theirs and theirs alone. That's the only reason coups in Thailand happen. That is what the Thai military is for, for internal "threats". I don't think anyone really, truly believes that the Thai military is capable of defending the country from an external threat. Can you imagine the man-child and his side kick fighting a real war?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1