Schools targeted as 80 foreigners arrested nationwide

webfact

29 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

really, fair enough. i haven't heard anything about it before now. i agree with it entirely. just thought the schools weren't touched before

Immigration showed up to my school specifically looking for me to check if I was really there. They took photos of them with me in front of the school to show their boss. I thought it was a good idea as well as criminal background checks required for work permits now.

4 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

They make better money in Thailand than their home country and I would be very surprised if there weren't a large number working in many countries around the world. By the phrase "such degrees" with quote marks around it strongly imply your disbelief that a person from the Philippines would actually have an education degree. I've worked with a lot of Filipino teachers here, well education and speaking excellent English.

Have you the facts to back up your position?  I tell you what I would never let my kids have a Filip teacher teaching them English.. I think they would make the teacher somewhat embarrassed.

57 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

BANGKOK, THAILAND - In 2015, the Philippine Embassy reported that there were 15,662 Filipinos in Thailand. This was accounted as follows: 1,025 are permanent migrants (they are married to Thais); temporary migrants, 13,266 are temporary migrants or those issued with work permits by the Thai Ministry of Labor, and the irregular or undocumented accounted to 1,371. However, the numbers could be higher because most Filipinos coming here to work entered as tourists. They have either friends or family members who encouraged them to work in the Kingdom.

https://www.thefilipinogroup.com/single-post/2017/08/16/Filipino-teachers-in-Thailand-A-closer-look

I don't think that the OP was meant to write anything negative about Filipinos in general.13,266 of temporary migrants is a pretty high number, don't you think? 

Would they've raided government schools a few weeks before they were closed, the numbers might be a little bit different. 

Oh yes, lets all blame the Filipinos now, Filipinos could wipe the Floor with Thais any day, arriving from a Poor country the vast majority are hard working honest people, unlike most Brits who are the exact opposite.

5 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Absolutely mate, there's thousands of them working in Bangkok illegally now.

15+ years ago you would struggle to find one at all, legal or otherwise.

you know where you could have found them 15+ years ago? boiler rooms ripping off aussies

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

Oh well if you have read it then indeed it must be 100% true.

I read years ago that sitting on cold concrete would result in hemorrhoids. 

Sitting on any concrete will cause hemorrhoids. As I recall the lime (calcium carbonate) in the concrete does it. Not only hemorrhoids but arthritis also. Look at the hands of a life long cement mason. 

• Like 1

Apart from the Native  English speaking foreigners arrested, what subjects are the others teaching , if ENGLISH then the schools need to be looked at properly especially their hiring criteria and the subjects taught, how many Thais have been scammed .....a lot methinks 

Edited by Khun Paul
Spelling and a minor addition.

Ok, good, i guess...

But as this was the 6th such operation against pesky foreigners..... how about now applying this kind of police effort and diligence to several crackdowns on drunk drivers, drivers with no license, no insurance.... these issues and people are killing citizens and putting many others at risk..... surely that is more important than those pesky foreigners trying to educate citizens!?!?

:WPFflags:

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Yeah, the Grace hotel, not you average bastion of culture and the gathering

of the  elite, more like the cesspool of iniquity....

I didn't realise there was also a Grace hotel on Sukhumvit 23, the only one I know of is on Soi 3.

Does anyone know the law? What is the penalty for a school that employs people who are found to have entered the Kingdom illegally or overstay or work but are not in possession of a work permit? They are in the school's employ. Does the school have the responsibility to make sure teachers and staff have the necessary paperwork?

I would think the school's are complicit. They are in essence enabling the lawbreakers and profiting as well.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Timely arrests.........they can't have the masses educated now can they and how can foreigners drum the national culture into them, that is a job for xenophobic locals!

Maybe you can educate those people that were arrested on how to legally enter, stay, and work in this country.  ?

2 hours ago, Squigy said:

So if they have " Education degrees" why come and work in Thailand.. I would think they would get better money elsewhere in the world with such "degrees"..

Just a thought.....

B

Because they probably earned their degrees in the Philippines. That's why.  

4 hours ago, hansnl said:

You really expect a good education from the likes of the arrested?

There's no way any of those jokers would get a job in any half decent place here  - even experienced teachers have had to leave because of tightening requirements such as the teacher's licence. Perhaps they would be employed in some halfbaked language school that will accept anyone with a pulse. Even then, I imagine most of these offenders were doing other kinds of work besides masquerading as teachers. 

These people weren't arrested in schools because they were teachers, but because they were working illegally.  Their ability as teachers was not the issue, as I interpret this news report

One might hope that the  teaching heads who appointed these illegals will also come under scrutiny.  Is it legal to employ illegal staff ?

• Like 1