Watch Issue Is ‘Over,’ Prawit Insists

webfact

2 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Rubbish, you clearly don't know what you are talking about. I own a couple of Rolexes (so does my wife) and my information was not taken down with any purchase.

Warranty: with your watch comes a warranty card which is dated by the dealer (it used to be a paper document but now its a credit card sized plastic card). If the watch has problems you return it together with the card and you get your warranty. No need to identify yourself or have a serial number + name database. Just the watch plus the card and you get your warranty at any dealer in the world.

Insurance: rolex does not insure its watches, why would they need to know my name for insurance? If i insure my watches i share the info with my insurance company, not a dealer or manufacturer.

So now that it is clear no personal information has to be recorded upon sale, lets look into your "evidence" (police case of diver's watch).

The big question is where did the police get the info?

From an insurance company, from a dealer, from the manufacturer, or somewhere else?

Some dealers might keep a log of sales, but that sure doesn't happen everywhere. And maybe they got the info from the manufacturer but that would only be possible if the guy had sent in the watch for maintenance previously. In that case its possible.

In prawit's case the watches are all brand new and it would surprise me he had one sent in for maintenance already (which used to be every 5 years for rolex but nowadays they tell you not to bother unless the watch shows problems). Even if he did, it isnt evidence of ownership. I can hand in your watch for maintenance also and as long as it aint registered stolen they will return it to me.

Besides, keeping such a database will give trouble for the owners who want to sell their watch. If i sell one of my watches to you, who do i inform and how? Do i copy your passport and send it to Geneva? Or do i contact my watch dealer who sold it to me on the other side of the world with all your personal information? I dont know and i haven't seen anything about it in the documentation i got with my watches.

Long story short: you have no clue what you are talking about.

If I may, the retailers of Rolex in the the USA and Canada most certainly take down owner information. It is for warranty purposes and to  protect the owner in the event of a loss and the need to make an insurance claim. Remember that one can only collect insurance on property that is legally acquired. One has to prove ownership of the  jewellery.  It is no different than the purchase of a vehicle. When you purchase your Ford Falcon or Maybach, the auto dealer takes your details. The warranty can be transferred subject to conditions set out. If you need a reference; Birks Group which includes mayor in the USA, Mappins & Webb in the  UK and Birks in  Canada does this. 

I believe that it was not unreasonable for Giddeyup to  state that Rolex watches could be traced to their original owners.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Rubbish, you clearly don't know what you are talking about. I own a couple of Rolexes (so does my wife) and my information was not taken down with any purchase.

Went to Laos on Saturday. Could have bought any amount of Rolex watches. prices ranged from 400 Baht to 1500 Baht for a top-of-the-range piece.

Gone are the mobiles; not one to be seen. Cameras and IT stuff have gone. Lots of ladies handbags and bargain trainers.

Bought back 7 litres of Lao khao for my medicinal wine making experiments.

20 hours ago, giddyup said:

No?

Rolex knows everything!

Rolex checks it this way : when you buy a Rolex watch at an AD, they photocopy the filled in green warranty card and send it to Rolex. Whenever a watch is sent under warranty, Rolex checks for that photocopy and it has to match your name. If they don’t have your card in their records and you can’t provide the original bill of sale from the AD, then you bill charged for a service (see here our ultimate watch servicing guide). As a matter of fact, Rolex warranties are now totally untransferable and Rolex is willing to check.

If he/she has a receipt of purchase with his/her name on it, the owner is able to insure the watch with their own insurance company, obviously not insured by Rolex.

No, you have no clue.

Have you ever seen the warranty card? Google for it and see how much space there is for information...

Plus most people leave it open as filling it in diminishes your resale value. Now what?

17 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

If I may, the retailers of Rolex in the the USA and Canada most certainly take down owner information. It is for warranty purposes and to  protect the owner in the event of a loss and the need to make an insurance claim. Remember that one can only collect insurance on property that is legally acquired. One has to prove ownership of the  jewellery.  It is no different than the purchase of a vehicle. When you purchase your Ford Falcon or Maybach, the auto dealer takes your details. The warranty can be transferred subject to conditions set out. If you need a reference; Birks Group which includes mayor in the USA, Mappins & Webb in the  UK and Birks in  Canada does this. 

I believe that it was not unreasonable for Giddeyup to  state that Rolex watches could be traced to their original owners.

Valid point.

But dealers in Europe and Thailand barely do that (bought one of mine at Time Midas in Bangkok; which now has the store in Siam Paragon). 

My guess would be prawit bought his watches in BKK (if he bought them), or got them from someone who bought them in bkk or another asian country (as a bribe maybe). What they do in US and Canada therefor doesnt matter much.

LV lets you fill in a form with your first purchase. Thats how they got your info.

54 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

No, you have no clue.

Have you ever seen the warranty card? Google for it and see how much space there is for information...

Plus most people leave it open as filling it in diminishes your resale value. Now what?

Oh go away, there's already confirmation from others that they filled out personal details when they bought their watch. If you choose to believe otherwise so be it. Do you think a receipt with no name on it is going to satisfy an insurance company as proof of purchase? It certainly wouldn't have hurt the NACC to try and establish the purchaser of the watches through the companies involved. Keep pushing your agenda, but don't be upset if I ignore you. BTW the article I quoted is what Rolex requires from it's customers, so if anyone is clueless....

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, giddyup said:

Oh go away, there's already confirmation from others that they filled out personal details when they bought their watch. If you choose to believe otherwise so be it. Do you think a receipt with no name on it is going to satisfy an insurance company as proof of purchase? It certainly wouldn't have hurt the NACC to try and establish the purchaser of the watches through the companies involved. Keep pushing your agenda, but don't be upset if I ignore you. BTW the article I quoted is what Rolex requires from it's customers, so if anyone is clueless....

As i told you already i have first-hand experience with the largest dealer in Bangkok, but for some reason you rather google your information and assume whatever goes in the US is the same as in Bangkok. 

"What rolex requires of its purchasers": keep googling your information... both the biggest seller in Bangkok and the biggest seller in the Netherlands are not following these "requirements" for years already...

You just keep telling your BS and make a fool of yourself to whoever knows their stuff. I can't be bothered to try to convince you, waste of my time.

Have a pleasant day.

Edited by Bob12345

1 hour ago, Bob12345 said:

As i told you already i have first-hand experience with the largest dealer in Bangkok, but for some reason you rather google your information and assume whatever goes in the US is the same as in Bangkok. 

"What rolex requires of its purchasers": keep googling your information... both the biggest seller in Bangkok and the biggest seller in the Netherlands are not following these "requirements" for years already...

You just keep telling your BS and make a fool of yourself to whoever knows their stuff. I can't be bothered to try to convince you, waste of my time.

Have a pleasant day.

You don't know where he bought his watches you clown, you just assume it was Bangkok. I suppose all the others who stated they had to fill out personal details were talking BS as well? The fool is he who refuses to acknowledge when he's wrong. 

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You don't know where he bought his watches you clown, you just assume it was Bangkok. I suppose all the others who stated they had to fill out personal details were talking BS as well? The fool is he who refuses to acknowledge when he's wrong. 

And you just assume he bought it in US/Canada so what you base that on you clown?

The others who stated they needed to fill it in were referring to the US & Canada.

What is the most logical place, in your opinion, he bought his watches or got them from?

Thailand or another asian country nearby he has business contacts with in his role as decision maker, or the other side of the world?

You know what, dont even bother answering. I am done with you and your confirmation bias. Go believe whatever you want and keep showing your ignorance.

I am done with you and your BS.

10 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

And you just assume he bought it in US/Canada so what you base that on you clown?

The others who stated they needed to fill it in were referring to the US & Canada.

What is the most logical place, in your opinion, he bought his watches or got them from?

Thailand or another asian country nearby he has business contacts with in his role as decision maker, or the other side of the world?

You know what, dont even bother answering. I am done with you and your confirmation bias. Go believe whatever you want and keep showing your ignorance.

Yay!!  Enough already.  My guess is they were "gifts" from "friends" who needed a favour, a big one.  Of course they may have bought them in his name.  Whatever, it's all BS and he will get away with it or the NACC will be looking for a new boss. Sorry, the NACC will have a "more cooperative" boss appointed.

10 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

You said you were done before, but here you are still responding. Quit while you're behind.

Edited by giddyup