Proper clothing at Chaengwattana Immigration

BobTH

Nice to hear there are so many well mannered gentlemen up north. You should see the filthy unabathed rag wearing dreadlock sporting swine that walk into Phuket Immigration every day. You only get one chance to make a first impression. 

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Wear trousers, or at least carry some with you... 

I was told to put some trousers on at the DLT last month, fortunately, I'd taken a backup pair in the car, aware this could happen.

Immediately after I was told other in the room noticed that two others (Thai) were also wearing shorts, the lady seemed to calm down at that point, her faux insult subsiding as she realized her hypocrisy if she didn't also tell the Thai men to change.... So, I did the only thing reasonable, went out and changed and watched her squirm when I returned as she tried not to look towards the Thai guys with shorts on!

The shorts were smart and worn with a collared polo-shirt, but they were still shorts. 

In short (apologies for the pun), wearing shorts gives the chance for an official to feign faux insult an throw some stroppy power in your direction, we all know how these characters can be sometimes. 

I can understand people wearing shorts for comfort, but IMO, no adult male looks smart in shorts.

Most foreign men in Thailand look sloppy and slovenly these days. Authorities just have to put up with it. Of course they  no longer have any respect for us but generally do not impose rules on us in Government offices.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, moana said:

There's no dress code. At least 80% of their customers come in shorts, t-shirts, and flipflops.

No, they don't, that's nonsense.  All government offices have expected dress codes and as a visitor they should be abided by.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

I know different offices make up their own rules.  However I've been attending immigration for almost 20 years and have always wore 'sensible' shorts with a shirt or collared sports shirt.  Most others are dressed in similar dress.  

I think the emphasis is on 'respectful' rather than the type of dress.  You can still look a slob in long pants.

"You can still look a slob in long pants."  I hope you don't mean me. :biggrin:

21 hours ago, moana said:

Percentages aside. I've never been turned away from any immigration office because of the way I dress (shorts, t-shirt, flipflops), not even in Chaengwattana, and I certainly wasn't the only one dressed that way. I was treated just as well as anybody. If the OP prefers to go in uncomfortable clothing because of a non-existent code, so be it.

The point is there is dress code, unwritten but it's there, and if you choose to ignore it, it may turn around and bite you one day.

As another example, when I went to the LTD to get my driving licence recently, I was warned beforehand not to wear shorts as because it is a government office it would be frowned upon.

Best wear covered shirt and long trousers  

I arrived a few trips back wearing T-Shirt And shorts and the immigration woman officer must have been having a bad day mentioned to me to wear proper clothing next time

For the sake of a few hours and as mentioned its a air conditioned building not worth the grief  of could be refused getting served 

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

When traveling by car I wear "proper" dress and have leisure clothes to change after the visit.

Was at our DLT on March 13.

Can't remember a person in shorts, tank tops etc.

Suited and booted?.... What is 'proper dress' ??? Trousers, brogues, long sleeve shirt?

No one in these places is ever spoken to because they are wearing jeans... so the 'dress code' so to speak is simply about covering up legs and shoulders... it could be shellsuit bottoms and a football jersey (not that I'd ever wear these). 

Given the tropical climate - I see nothing wrong with a decent pair of shorts. But as I wrote earlier, there are those who do, thus, it is better to be prepared to have to be respectful of their wishes.

At any other time its shorts and a polo shirt... shopping mall, most of the restaurants I go to, bars... It's just too warm to be wearing trousers or jeans... 

Edited by richard_smith237

22 hours ago, HampiK said:

That I will believe you in the first place. But if you come across the wrong immigration officier, then inapropriate dressing could give you a few extra steps. 

Also when you not have all papers in perfect order a good dress code can make the difference! This is Thailand.

This is the crucial point; if your papers are in order it could be as easy as ABC, even if you're in beachwear. On the other hand, if you get an officious IO and you're missing something, he/she might just be in the mood to give you the runaround, in light of your disrespectful dress. Why give yourself the uncertainty for the sake of 50B extra taxi fare?

Dress appropriately and be treated appropriately. Dress like a cheap tourist and expect to be treated like one. The only time I wear shorts in Bkk is when I’m in my local area, anything else it’s long trousers. I’ve noticed the difference in how I get treated from the days when I’d wear shorts and flip flops. I prefer to be respected.

• Like 2

Its obvious to me reading the comments on this topic that most of the objections to wearing shorts are from members of the older generation who tend to be a bit old fashioned. Before anyone accusses me of being ageist I am also an older guy. However I cannot think of anything worse than wearing trousers all the time or as our American friends call them "pants". I only wear trousers (good denim) when I go out to a bar or restaurant. There is nothing wrong in walking about town or visiting immigration in a polo shirt and good shorts down to the knee with clean trainers. I consider it quite smart and looks much better than someone sweating away in a shirt and trousers stinking of BO. Only time that differred was during the period after the late king passed away. Its the 21st century guys the old days have gone.

Yes, there is a dress code at Immigration and Government offices but like every thing else here it is up to the official dealing with you as to whether these rules are adhered to or not !!

I always appear at these places in a button down short sleeved shirt and long trousers , but I will be driving there in my car with the a/c on.

At the British Embassy last year 7 out of 10 people waiting were in shorts, nobody got turned away.

Sooooo, it’s a lottery !!, personally I like to improve my odds by dressing appropriately !

• Like 1

On 3/30/2018 at 3:00 PM, moana said:

There's no dress code. At least 80% of their customers come in shorts, t-shirts, and flipflops.

Please do not produce false information on here, as quite a few people here rely on the great advice of some members.

There is a dress code, not only for Immigration. You should wear pants, and if possible a long sleeve shirt, whenever you visit an office that does governmental work.  :jap:

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Suitcase said:

Was out to Bang  Chuk to renew my drivers license the other

day and after I took the eye tests the lady said next time wear

long pants.

Later I saw the sign near the door that said no shorts,

no dogs and pets, no flip flops, no women halter tops, and no

cellphones.

Guess what?!

There was all of the above by Thai people as I was the only 

non Thai there out of 150 people.

The lady just had to single me out and tell me to dress better.

Yes, I know, Thais don’t have to follow the rules!

I have just read many of the comments on here and I am astounded. How many of us were told by our parents, "Don't do as I do - do as I say"?

Well, this is Thailand, so conform. It won't hurt you or your "right to wear as you please". Time after time I have seen the most slovenly, smell and scruffy men and women appear at official places, wearing rag-tails. Do what you want in your own country - but Thailand wants to see something different. Deal with it.

I wear shorts & T shirts at home. If I go out - I wear acceptable clean T-shirt, clean long pants relevant footwear. Why is that so difficult for many people? Personal standards are the key - many fall below these. Your problem.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2018 at 3:11 PM, moana said:

Percentages aside. I've never been turned away from any immigration office because of the way I dress (shorts, t-shirt, flipflops), not even in Chaengwattana, and I certainly wasn't the only one dressed that way. I was treated just as well as anybody. If the OP prefers to go in uncomfortable clothing because of a non-existent code, so be it.

It's not a non existant dress code , there is a sign that states what is proper apparel. My wife suggests (makes me ) wear long pants and no t-shirt. I have seen a Russian girl come in with shorts and halter top and did not even make it to queue. Official said  " you! , go home and put some clothes on, then come back" 

5 hours ago, jimn said:

Its obvious to me reading the comments on this topic that most of the objections to wearing shorts are from members of the older generation who tend to be a bit old fashioned. Before anyone accusses me of being ageist I am also an older guy. However I cannot think of anything worse than wearing trousers all the time or as our American friends call them "pants". I only wear trousers (good denim) when I go out to a bar or restaurant. There is nothing wrong in walking about town or visiting immigration in a polo shirt and good shorts down to the knee with clean trainers. I consider it quite smart and looks much better than someone sweating away in a shirt and trousers stinking of BO. Only time that differred was during the period after the late king passed away. Its the 21st century guys the old days have gone.

If I may, I would take the advice of the older experienced people. As has been said so many times, all it takes is one government official to be a jerk. When I went to the government office,  I was reminded by my Thai colleagues to look smart and my employer has a dress code anyway.  I would emphasize the comment earlier about respect: If we want to be treated respectfully, we need to look the part. Thailand is a nation where image and "display" is important.  Yes some people can get away with proper shorts. I cannot, nor can a majority of chubby 50+ year olds wearing cargo shorts pull it off.

We can learn alot from the  old timers who have been here. I know I have and we ignore their advice at our own peril.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jimn said:

I only wear trousers (good denim) when I go out to a bar or restaurant. There is nothing wrong in walking about town or visiting immigration in a polo shirt and good shorts down to the knee with clean trainers.

Funny how you are ok to wear trousers for a bar, but not for immigration.   

The problem is Immigration has a dress code as they ask you to follow.

LookinsideThailand-Thai-Immigration-Dress-Code.jpg

On 30/03/2018 at 3:11 PM, moana said:

He could probably turn up in a wife-beater and bare feet, and get through okay. Last time I was there, I saw a poster by the door; according to my limited Thai language skills, it said, "Good guys in, scruffy guys included."

I have ALWAYS worn long pants to renew a visa or such. My rule is that if you are going to go in a back office and talk to someone, wear them, if just to a window, don't bother. That is in Chiang Mai. However, those signs would worry me, I must admit.