Prawit dismisses Thaksin prediction of a ‘landslide win’

rooster59

Prawit dismisses Thaksin prediction of a ‘landslide win’

By THE NATION

542d1786cd2d7837d8c27589be67ced4.jpeg

Thaksin and Yingluck on a private visit in Tokyo. Photo: AFP

THE JUNTA yesterday played down the current visit of former prime ministers Thaksin and Yingluck Shinawatra to Japan, with a key figure disputing a claim by the Pheu Thai patriarch that the party would gain “another landslide victory” in the next election.

Deputy Premier and Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan said he was not convinced.

“He can say whatever he likes. The media may believe what he says. But if you ask me, I don’t believe it,” he said, when asked to comment on Thaksin’s claim.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, before his flight to Vietnam, was also asked to comment on the ongoing trip of Thaksin and Yingluck to Tokyo. Prayut just smiled and offered no response.

During an interview with Japanese media on Thursday, Thaksin said: “We have many good people in Pheu Thai Party. They should be able to lead the party to another landslide victory.”

However, Thaksin also attempted to distance himself from the party, saying that he had no involvement with the party. “I am not involved with the party. They really don’t want me to get involved.

“We wish we can return to democracy as soon as possible. Thailand needs a system that allows free speech and guarantees human rights to the people. In this modern economy, you need democracy to allow more creativity to happen in Thailand,” he told Japanese media.

The new Political Parties Act prohibits any political party from allowing an outsider to influence its internal affairs and the violating parties risk getting dissolved. 

Some Pheu Thai figures expressed concern recently after reports that a group of party politicians met Thaksin to ask him who should become the next Pheu Thai leader. They feared a possible legal action could lead to the party’s dissolution.

Thaksin holds no executive position in Pheu Thai but has retained much influence in the party, still being referred to as “the big boss” by many party politicians.

He and his sister Yingluck, both fugitives who live in self-exile abroad, arrived in Japan on Thursday and are set to stay there through tomorrow before travelling to China, Japanese media reported. It is their second visit to Japan this year following the previous one in February.

Former Japanese politician Hajime Ishii, an acquaintance of the siblings, invited them to an event in Tokyo to celebrate the publication of his new book, Kyodo news agency reported. They were introduced on stage and photographed with other guests.

Yingluck, when asked by a reporter whether she was living in London, replied: “No. We are just travelling to different countries.” She declined to answer a question if she had been given political asylum to stay in the United Kingdom, simply saying: “Sorry, sorry.” Thaksin’s daughter Paethongtarn said in her Instagram message that Thaksin was excited to join the event, adding that he had been invited by the host “long ago”.

General Prawit, who is in charge of security affairs, said yesterday that Thai authorities were in the process of seeking the arrest of both Thaksin and Yingluck for prosecution in the country.

He said the authorities had to inform their Japanese counterpart that the court cases against Thaksin and Yingluck were not political in nature.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30342123

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-31

8 minutes ago, JOC said:

Another one who are out of touch with reality....

All governments in the last 20 years have run some kind of support schemes for the farmers.....All costing a lot of taxpayer money

But only Yingluck was taken to court to take responsibility and have her assets seized.......Not political?

Not defending the rice pledging scheme....that was pure stupidity. But personally Yingluck gained nothing from it....And in a country rife with corruption and nepotism she had to face the music.....Not political?

The dinosaurs that took her to court, have just wasted 150 billion baht on their village campaign....Do you think, they will ever have to answer for their generosity with taxpayer money.....Of course not....because they granted themselves immunity from day one......Not political?

So clearly you don't understand sarcasm. In the context of what I wrote even an idiot could see I was saying that the are completely political. I don't think it's me that is out of touch with reality. Do you understand Thailand saying it's political and me, being from the rest of the world, being diametrically opposed to that statement means? Thanks for the rant though hahahaha 

Edited by starky
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Yingluck looks rested and has lost some weight.

Maybe she had some work done.

I would still hit that. :cheesy:

Down boy, yes your mind is willing, but what about the physical bit?:cheesy:

• Like 2

Thaksin is playing mind games with the junta and succeed. His prediction is not entirely new revelation but just an extrapolating the 2011 results under the MMA system. PTP not going to lose any of their seats in the North and North East. The 220-230 seats are money in the bank. They may even win some Central and Bangkok seats from the Dem. Question is which medium size party will give them a majority that will keep Prayut out of the equation. Any coalition to keep put Prayut is good news. Even better if the coalition get the support to change the constitution. Never say never.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Thaksin is playing mind games with the junta and succeed. His prediction is not entirely new revelation but just an extrapolating the 2011 results under the MMA system. PTP not going to lose any of their seats in the North and North East. The 220-230 seats are money in the bank. They may even win some Central and Bangkok seats from the Dem. Question is which medium size party will give them a majority that will keep Prayut out of the equation. Any coalition to keep put Prayut is good news. Even better if the coalition get the support to change the constitution. Never say never.

Maybe Eric, but Thaksins arrogance will bring them down, the new law is that he won't be allowed to influence the PTP.. it could be disbanded for it. Thaksin is still showing his influence off. 

Can't wait for the election will be interesting to see how things go. 

12 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Excellent.I thoroughly enjoyed that!

'T'was bryllig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe.."

The country of the Red Queen.

At least someone got it. I chortled as I wrote it! I was thinking maybe the TV readership was galumphing through after a big Friday night, too early Saturday or not enough ESL classes. If you must dumb down a political argument then it's really not one worth having. Oh, wait...

Edited by starky
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, starky said:

At least someone got it. I was thinking maybe big Friday night, too early Saturday or not enough ESL classes. If you must dumb down a political argument then it's really not one worth having. Oh, wait...

Yeah but it is an Aussie thing-we are kind of sardonic...

My nickname back in my home country prosthetic leg and all-is "Speedy Gonzales"

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, robblok said:

Maybe Eric, but Thaksins arrogance will bring them down, the new law is that he won't be allowed to influence the PTP.. it could be disbanded for it. Thaksin is still showing his influence off. 

He was very careful making those comment and he was replying to questions by reporters. It was not like a press conference which he spoke freely on his own. I am sure the junta have a thought of that legality before it hits you. Both Ps didn’t give any whimper of hint in their comments which says it all. Thaksin always 3 steps ahead of those nincompoops. 

• Like 2

Just now, trainman34014 said:

As the untouchable fat man Prawit has to 'borrow' dozens of watches from others dead or alive, he obviously wouldn't be able to tell the time in a room full of clocks, so how could he possibly have the wisdom to know the outcome of the next General Election ?

You have to hand it to Thaksin, every time he opens his mouth the Junta go into a state of near panic !

It's kinda like your average Thai lakorn...it is their "Destiny":smile:

24 minutes ago, robblok said:

I don't really see how that is enforceable unless you are going to bug each and every party member's means of communication and follow them 24/7.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, baboon said:

I don't really see how that is enforceable unless you are going to bug each and every party member's means of communication and follow them 24/7.

Everyone knows Thaksin is the leader of the PTP just alone the fact that they all came for his blessing and he selected / supported the new leader of the PTP says enough. Circumstantial evidence is also evidence, just get a lot of it and wham done. 

His arogance will make it easy. 

If they dissolve the party enough times maybe some people will get it in their head staying with Thaksin is not the best way forward. 

Be honest now do you know of any democratic countries where an convicted criminal would be allowed to lead the country by proxy ?

• Like 1