Australian man critical after hit and run in Samui, family told no license invalidates insurance

rooster59

On 3/31/2018 at 2:09 PM, Just Weird said:

"Clemency is not part of any financial intitute, including banksters and insurance artists".

Neither should it be!  Insurance is a business and to introduce "clemency" into invalid claims would set a dangerous precedent.

"Insurance companies are always right, and will do anything not to pay'.

Nonsense, if that was the case they'd have no business as their reputations would be destroyed.  Insurers do everything that they can to expedite valid claims as it makes next to no financial difference to their bottom line.  It is their right, not to say their obligation, to refuse invalid claims.

Insurance companies are thieves that do their best to discredit valid claims. If people do  make a successful claim the will lose lose their 'no claims fee'' and then their charges will be increased on renewal.  Yes the insurance company dogs are losing customers as householder do not bother with contents insurance anymore. Insurance companies treat people as thieves and liars. They are a disgrace. 

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I go over for my first visit at the end of next month, these roads sound terrifying, I think my eyes will need to be on stalks. 
Luckily I've no interest in renting any vehicle 

1 hour ago, AntG said:

I go over for my first visit at the end of next month, these roads sound terrifying, I think my eyes will need to be on stalks. 
Luckily I've no interest in renting any vehicle 

I drive a car here and feel quite safe. 

Have all the insurance needed. 

I can ride a bike but choose not to do. 

Yes you need your wits about you. 

But I find it not too hard to do. 

The major issue is that many people have the minimum level of experience in bike proficiency. 

Originating from childhood. 

No license, no insurance, no learner licence, no probationary licence. 

Straight in, on their bike, no helmet, no lights, no knowledge of the road laws, minimal enforcement by the police, except for the tea money. 

(monthly wage top up). 

Think they are bullet proof and no one else is on the road. 

Will not stop for red lights or pedestrian crossings. 

Ride multiple on a bike, phone in hand and single handed. 

Many have illegal attachments or street vendor stalls attached to the bike. 

More than 80 die every day. 

I did all my licences the right way and even in Thailand I was police checked, medical check, DLT tested. 

If you are proficient and feel you want to drive here, make sure you have insurance. 

That you have travel insurance for bikes and other vehicles in this country. 

You rarely see a car accident. 

Bikes are the unknown factor, they will overtake you on the left, right or wrong side of the road. 

They will drive on the pavements if it's a quicker way to get from A to B.

They will U turn in front of you. 

They will have an accident with another Thai and walk away. 

Have an accident with a farang or tourist and will roll over and milk it for all they can. 

Thai regulations say the ownus is on the person renting the bike to have a licence and insurance. 

Not the person who is renting it to you... 

Still feeling lucky? 

Welcome to Thailand.. 

21 hours ago, dallen52 said:

The major issue is that many people have the minimum level of experience in bike proficiency. 

Straight in, on their bike, no helmet, no lights, no knowledge of the road laws, minimal enforcement by the police, except for the tea money. 

(monthly wage top up). 

I did all my licences the right way and even in Thailand I was police checked, medical check, DLT tested. 

If you are proficient and feel you want to drive here, make sure you have insurance. 

Bikes are the unknown factor, they will overtake you on the left, right or wrong side of the road. 

Have an accident with a farang or tourist and will roll over and milk it for all they can. 

Thai regulations say the ownus is on the person renting the bike to have a licence and insurance. 

Still feeling lucky? 

Welcome to Thailand.. 

well you're really selling it for me, thanks

On 03/04/2018 at 8:19 AM, overherebc said:

The two year licence is possible but won't be recognised in your own country /outside Thailand as a 'full licence' as it is very clearly marked as 'temporary' 

In won't for example allow car hire in UK as UK classes it as a 'provisional' licence.

Does in Australia, Thrifty advises me to use the Thai license as the deposit for the car would be less than using my Aussie license

1 hour ago, Marley01 said:

Does in Australia, Thrifty advises me to use the Thai license as the deposit for the car would be less than using my Aussie license

Check that they know 100% it's not a full issue licence. UK companies don't accept temporary licences.

On 4/14/2018 at 7:55 PM, dallen52 said:

(monthly wage top up). 

Still feeling lucky? 

Welcome to Thailand.. 

I agree with your post but as you are posting on a Samui forum I presume you meant 'Welcome to Samui'?

Dear Mods, Ben passed away on the 10th of April. So many people write about things that have got nothing to do with Ben's unfortunate accident. 

From GFM: 

It's been a long few weeks, sincere appololgies for the late update. As some of you may already know Ben sadly passed away on the 10th of April due to the extent of his injuries and complications which quickly unfolded. 

Ben's funeral was on Friday the 20th April, it was an emotional but beautiful day and once again displayed just how loved and supported he was.

Thank you to every single person that helped either financially, with kind words, prayers, thoughts or helping hands. It's been a rollercoaster of a journey but we are all so greatful for the help and love Ben recieved through this journey. 

RIP, Ben, I really saw tiny chances for you to survive these incredible injuries. I hope that there are some good guys where you are now. 

On March 31, 2018 at 1:01 PM, hansnl said:

Insurance companies are always right, and will do anything not to pay.

Clemency is not part of any financial intitute, including banksters and insurance artists.

Disagree I've seen them act impeccably several times in Thailand.

It's their duty to be careful with the pool of money so innocent insurees don't pay more than their fair share for those who are not legitimately insured.

I have no idea of the rental company's part in this, they may or may not be culpable.....but unlikely to be able to pay.

On March 31, 2018 at 1:01 PM, hansnl said:

Insurance companies are always right, and will do anything not to pay.

Clemency is not part of any financial intitute, including banksters and insurance artists.

Disagree I've seen them act swiftly and impeccably several times in Thailand.

It's their duty to be careful with the pool of money so innocent insurees don't pay more than their fair share for those who are not legitimately insured.

Moderators.. Admins... 

I think you should exercise your powers and we respect the guy who passed... Rip. 

We all know that we collectively contribute to the forum and we do wander away from the initial discussion, many times. 

And often the posts are tongue in cheek. 

But it's sadly not going to bring this chap back. 

Maybe time to close the door on this post please? 

Archived