Australian man critical after hit and run in Samui, family told no license invalidates insurance

rooster59

4 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

and if a hospital cannot make a profit then it cannot update the equipement it needs to update.

See, so it is not only Thailand that has high medical prices.

A lot of people also blame the drug companies but they fail to realise just how much the drug companies spend on research for new and better drugs.

Without that money both the hospitals and the drug companies cannot improve the medical conditions of millions of people all over the world and they will never find cures for things like cancer, HIV, and many other ailments that kill man plus the better equipement to save the lives of those involved in accidents.

It all costs money.

yes. without the private investment in research alot of the drugs and med dev equipment we have today and will have tomorrow wouldn't even exist. money makes the world go round as they so rightly say

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I can fly without passport, I can buy a car without car license.

Yes, to drive a car a license is legally required, as it is for motorbikes. 

Your examples were chosen badly.

Transam did not say anything about BUYING a car, your are picking the bad things about his post but your post is no better.

48 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Don't quote TripAdvisor as an authoritive source. This information was compiled by members, and is often wrong, as is the case here. IDP is no legal requirement.

I know, but many people utilise TripAdvisor. As an Australian, the travel insurance provider I used last year required an IDP to be covered in Thailand with the other usual conditions. From a member's post seems the guy was over the legal limit for alcohol and no helmet, so will not be covered in anycase.

I looked at his crowdfunding appeal, was at AUD65k and appears well known in his hometown, still long way to go. With these matters always wonder why family and close friends don't put their assets on the line, bank loans etc

Edited by simple1

5 minutes ago, simple1 said:

I know, but many people utilise TripAdvisor. As an Australian, the travel insurance provider I used last year required an IDP to be covered in Thailand with the other usual conditions. From a member's post seems the guy was over the legal limit for alcohol and no helmet, so will not be covered in anycase.

plus no Australian motor bike licence

On 31/03/2018 at 12:42 PM, darksidedog said:

It is long overdue for motor bike rental companies to be forced to not rent a vehicle out to any one who does not have a valid licence for the country. There are way too many accidents and way too many people thinking they are insured, then finding out that they are not, leaving someone else to foot the bill.

The rental company is one issue but why should they be the nanny for customers? This guy would not have tried to hire a bike back home because he is well aware that no license no bike. Thailand? What the heck, we do what we can't do anywhere else.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, transam said:

So did the rent shop, if the shop said .."No sorry, you do not have a license and insurance will be void"....The guy would not be in hospital with a problem...

The bike shop should be nanny for this guy? A responsible person doesn't hire a bike without an appropriate license. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

With due respect, even if the gent had a proper license, proper motorbike registration, and proper travel insurance, if he was legally intoxicated as reported in a post in this topic, the insurance would have been void regardless.

looks like he broke all the rules. he had no chance of being covered

• Like 1

On 31/03/2018 at 1:42 PM, darksidedog said:

It is long overdue for motor bike rental companies to be forced to not rent a vehicle out to any one who does not have a valid licence for the country. There are way too many accidents and way too many people thinking they are insured, then finding out that they are not, leaving someone else to foot the bill.

Yes, because it’s their responsibility to prevent people who don’t have a license from riding bikes, it’s not the riders job. Here’s an out there idea, people that travel overseas shouldn’t commit crimes. 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2018 at 12:47 PM, midas said:

But it doesn't say he was driving without any license? Just that he didn't have a motorcycle license. Do insurance companies refuse to pay out if you have a licence to drive a car in Australia? But then rent a motorbike?

Having a car licence in Australia does not qualify you to drive a motorcycle.

I think from memory the car insurance policy requires you to hold a licence to drive the car.

I certainly recall that my insurance for the car contained a provision that if you were not covered if under the influence of alcohol or drugs

2 hours ago, cat handler said:

Yes, because it’s their responsibility to prevent people who don’t have a license from riding bikes, it’s not the riders job. Here’s an out there idea, people that travel overseas shouldn’t commit crimes. 

Sounds like a bit of Nanny State Syndrome here why would you think you can drive a vehicle of any type  in another country if you don’t even have a licence for that vehicle in your own country.

Something goes wrong and blame everyone else

14 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Some people on here just cannot accept the fact the this man was unlicenced in Australia and it is his actions and his decision alone that caused this. People must accept the responsibility for their own actions but there are many on here that cannot accept that fact as they keep trying to pass the blame onto the renter but remember that this unlicenced man made the decision that he was going to hire a motor bike and you do not know what story he has told the renter about his licence. This man had a choice of either abiding by the laws or breaking the law and his choice was to break the law. His choice, his responsibility.

Some of the comments on here shows me that there are many people here that just cannot accept the responsibility for their own actions and if they ever got into a situation they would blame everybody else for what has happened.

And everybody else gets invited to help paying the bills. Why don't their families raid their own bank accounts first? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Letseng said:

And everybody else gets invited to help paying the bills. Why don't their families raid their own bank accounts first? 

8 minutes ago, Letseng said:

Sorry about double post new Laptop.

Why should the family get involved when gofundme idiots help out a UK one has got one running at least he looks as if  his was an accident.

If I gave to one it would be the 11year old Russian  Boy who's fathers last act was to throw him out of a window 40 foot high and strangers caught him His Mother Father and 4 year old Sister Burnned to death in the Mall in Russia. 

With Travel insurance pending on your policies there is always  fine print. 

My policy has added cover for bikes but alot of restrictions

I be riding for 30 years and I live here and it is <deleted>...,...,  Dangerous let alone a person getting on a bike with no experience 

= deadly 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Having a car licence in Australia does not qualify you to drive a motorcycle.

I think from memory the car insurance policy requires you to hold a licence to drive the car.

I certainly recall that my insurance for the car contained a provision that if you were not covered if under the influence of alcohol or drugs

Yes it does but only 50cc motor bike.At least in the state I'm from.

Edited by heybuz
Added a bit

4 minutes ago, huberthammer said:

But then I don't see anybody rent out 50cc here, they all 110-250cc so not an option.

That is most probably true but I was just replying to the statement that a car license does not allow you to ride a motorcycle in Australia,in fact it does to a certain size.Whether 50 cc or higher anybody with no bike experience will make dangerous mistakes you can register and ride on the road.without a bike license.

11 hours ago, mbamber said:

Sorry about double post new Laptop.

Why should the family get involved when gofundme idiots help out a UK one has got one running at least he looks as if  his was an accident.

If I gave to one it would be the 11year old Russian  Boy who's fathers last act was to throw him out of a window 40 foot high and strangers caught him His Mother Father and 4 year old Sister Burnned to death in the Mall in Russia. 

That would be a truly deserving cause.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Russell17au said:

Some people on here just cannot accept the fact the this man was unlicenced in Australia and it is his actions and his decision alone that caused this. People must accept the responsibility for their own actions but there are many on here that cannot accept that fact as they keep trying to pass the blame onto the renter but remember that this unlicenced man made the decision that he was going to hire a motor bike and you do not know what story he has told the renter about his licence. This man had a choice of either abiding by the laws or breaking the law and his choice was to break the law. His choice, his responsibility.

Some of the comments on here shows me that there are many people here that just cannot accept the responsibility for their own actions and if they ever got into a situation they would blame everybody else for what has happened.

Agree.

I haven't read all the responses , but I think it should be noted that it is not possible for a tourist to apply for and be awarded a Thai Motorcycle License on any sort of tourist visa.

So even should the tourist WANT to comply , they cant.

If Im not mistaken they need a permanent address , "Proof of Residence" , a non-Imm Visa  blah , blah , blah...

Unless its changed recently , in Indonesia one can achieve an Indonesian driving license in an afternoon...

4 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

Agree.

I haven't read all the responses , but I think it should be noted that it is not possible for a tourist to apply for and be awarded a Thai Motorcycle License on any sort of tourist visa.

If Im not mistaken they need a permanent address , "Proof of Residence" , a non-Imm Visa  blah , blah , blah...

Unless its changed recently , in Indonesia one can achieve an Indonesian driving license in an afternoon...

he needed a bike license from oz and he could have been covered. however it turns out he may well have been drunk and not wearing a helmet so he pretty much had no chance of them paying out in that case

56 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

Agree.

"I think it should be noted that it is not possible for a tourist to apply for and be awarded a Thai Motorcycle License on any sort of tourist visa.

So even should the tourist WANT to comply , they cant."

Incorrect. Even on visa exempt entry, obtaining a license, car or motorbike, is no problem.