Australian man critical after hit and run in Samui, family told no license invalidates insurance

rooster59

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

"I think it should be noted that it is not possible for a tourist to apply for and be awarded a Thai Motorcycle License on any sort of tourist visa.

So even should the tourist WANT to comply , they cant."

Incorrect. Even on visa exempt entry, obtaining a license, car or motorbike, is no problem.

really? i thought you needed a non imm?

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

"I think it should be noted that it is not possible for a tourist to apply for and be awarded a Thai Motorcycle License on any sort of tourist visa.

Incorrect. Even on visa exempt entry, obtaining a license, car or motorbike, is no problem.

Thought one had to have a Visa of some sort...?

On 31/03/2018 at 4:47 PM, midas said:

But it doesn't say he was driving without any license? Just that he didn't have a motorcycle license. Do insurance companies refuse to pay out if you have a licence to drive a car in Australia? But then rent a motorbike?

Yes they do as they are two completely different licences.

4 hours ago, heybuz said:

That is most probably true but I was just replying to the statement that a car license does not allow you to ride a motorcycle in Australia,in fact it does to a certain size.Whether 50 cc or higher anybody with no bike experience will make dangerous mistakes you can register and ride on the road.without a bike license.

I have a national HC licence issued in NSW it doesn't cover for any size motorbike, may be different in other states. I also have been riding for 30+ years and cringe when i see some of the people who rent bikes in Thailand, some simply have no idea. I always take the bike option on the policy as well as scuba. For an extra thirty bucks everything is sweet, amazes me that people still try to save a few bucks on insurance.

24 minutes ago, Blackheart1916 said:

I have a national HC licence issued in NSW it doesn't cover for any size motorbike, may be different in other states. I also have been riding for 30+ years and cringe when i see some of the people who rent bikes in Thailand, some simply have no idea. I always take the bike option on the policy as well as scuba. For an extra thirty bucks everything is sweet, amazes me that people still try to save a few bucks on insurance.

Not sure about now but years ago in uk I think a car licence covered up to 50cc eg NSU Quickly which was basically a small 49cc bike that still had pedals, like a bicycle. 

Downhill with the wind behind you it would hit 30mph just like a bicycle.

Above 50cc, up to 250cc you needed a provisional licence and had to have L plates front and back. You could carry a pillion if he/she had a full licence for 250cc and over. Then again 250cc in those days, some could rocket along at 60/70mph. ???.

Big change now I know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

I have both car and bike Thai licences. 

Both obtained on a TR

DLT tested.

Police letter for residence. 

Hospital medical. 

Valid for two years. 

Can do.... 

1 hour ago, Blackheart1916 said:

Queensland 

• Like 1

With his injuries and the fact he's died twice, he'd be better off staying that way it's sad to say. A short emotionally a tragic moment for the family or the same lasting years till it's over. 

3 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

You can get a two year temporary license on a visa exempt stamp. 

For a five year license you need a non immigrant visa. 

First of all, let’s dispel some myths. Yes, you CAN get a Thai driver’s license on a Tourist Visa, despite what some websites will tell you.

However, there are two different types of licenses: a temporary (2-year) license and a permanent (5-year) license. The first license you’ll get, regardless of your visa, will always be a temporary one.

However, if you’re on a non-immigrant visa, you can get a permanent license after the first one expires. This is no possible on a tourist visa, you’ll have to stick with temporary ones and renew every 2 years.

Here's more:

https://libertytotravel.com/get-thai-motorbike-drivers-license-tourist-visa-without-license-home-country/

9 hours ago, heybuz said:

Yes it does but only 50cc motor bike.At least in the state I'm from.

As I had never heard of this before being from NSW, information on the internet states only applies in QLD SA WA NT

I am wary of riding anything on two wheels here certainly on main roads.

9 hours ago, heybuz said:

Still the same perils, just not bad fast

• Like 1

3 hours ago, heybuz said:

Queensland 

A moped is under 50cc

Basically you can ride / drive a moped in most states without a motorcycle licence. 

So, yes, a HC will allow you to use a moped under 50cc

But not a motor bike. 

I have a national HC too, plus others. 

Including large bike. 

Screenshot_20180402-210112.jpg

6 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

A moped is under 50cc

Basically you can ride / drive a moped in most states without a motorcycle licence. 

But not a motor bike. 

Including large bike. 

7 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

A moped is under 50cc

But not a motor bike. 

Including large bike. 

Arising out of an earlier post from heybuz the information I found on the internet states that only in QLD SA WA NT can you ride a motorcycle

( moped)  under 50 cc using a car licence

8 hours ago, Somchai Logic said:

Exactly. Thainess at its best taking no responsibility for anything. :coffee1:

It's not just Thainess. Think about any brochures you're seen in Australian travel agents' offices, or Jetstar or Qantas flight magazines, or anywhere in the Australia travel industry that warns people before they get here about the dangers (physical, financial, legal) that can happen if you ride a motorcycle here unlicensed and uninsured. I'm pretty sure there are none. All you'll see is spin about what a great destination Thailand is, and what fun can be had. No-one wants to scare the punters off with stories about losers and their problems.   Collusion in the travel industry to keep visitors to Thailand at a level of ignorance isn't limited to Thai motorcycle rental outlets. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, transam said:

Thought one had to have a Visa of some sort...?

7 hours ago, Happy enough said:

really? i thought you needed a non imm?

As pointed out by some others, with tourist visa or visa exempt entry one can get a 2 year license.

9 hours ago, StevieAus said:

As I had never heard of this before being from NSW, information on the internet states only applies in QLD SA WA NT

I am wary of riding anything on two wheels here certainly on main roads.

I feel safer on main roads, side streets they come flying out of side roads without looking but on main roads you can open it up and sit with the flow, I like to sit behind a car doing the speed I like and just follow them.

18 hours ago, dallen52 said:

I have both car and bike Thai licences. 

Both obtained on a TR

DLT tested.

Police letter for residence. 

Hospital medical. 

Valid for two years. 

Can do.... 

The two year licence is possible but won't be recognised in your own country /outside Thailand as a 'full licence' as it is very clearly marked as 'temporary' 

In won't for example allow car hire in UK as UK classes it as a 'provisional' licence.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stevenl said:

As pointed out by some others, with tourist visa or visa exempt entry one can get a 2 year license.

I thought one of the main requirements was Residence confirmation from either Immigration or Embassy and to my knowledge being on a tourist visa does not qualify to get such confirmation?

Just wondering, you might well be correct.

1 minute ago, huberthammer said:

I thought one of the main requirements was Residence confirmation from either Immigration or Embassy and to my knowledge being on a tourist visa does not qualify to get such confirmation?

Just wondering, you might well be correct.

Depends on your local immigration, some are happy to issue a certificate of residence, on a short visa and staying in a hotel etc. Embassy letter is usually just a statement ( I live at XYZ) that they stamp, so also easy to get.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/31/2018 at 12:33 PM, Stoker58 said:

This is becoming a weekly story.

about time we got a juicy 20th floor suicide jumper, got to keep looking up when entering buildings never know what is coming down and it all usually hapens between 2.30 AM - 5AM 

On 3/31/2018 at 9:19 PM, PoorSucker said:

They are called mopeds under 50cc 

Not strictly true a TRUE moped has pedals and was a glorified push-bike with a small motor to aid you up hill.  The things most common in use in Thailand are scooters and are often greater than 125cc, and with modern technology can reach speeds of 100Kmh easily.  When I got my first bike license I had to take the test on a bike under 250cc and hold that "provisional" license for a year (on a bike with provisional registration) and then go for another test in order to ride a bigger bike.  People just come here and cannot do these things in their own countries but see it everyday here, assume it is OK and normal (and accepted).  Let's face it Thais do it all the time illegal or not.  AND DON'T CARE...

So I guess the question is "Why do you wear a helmet?"  Is it to avoid the fine or to protect your "nogin"?

ALL my helmets come from the States and are DOT compliant.  Thailand does have a standards system but... I am not sure I trust it.

At a $100 each (plus P&H) I figure it's cheap insurance...

I think t is something like 70% of major injuries or deaths are head related on motorbikes, up to you!!!

And don't get me wrong I have and love riding without a helmet, an open road at 80 MPH without a helmet and still accelerating...  BUZZ... (eyes water too much to read the speedo after that haha)

20 hours ago, heybuz said:

Queensland 

Yes I do remember a few years ago tourists hiring Z 50's on the Gold Coast to get about on. Not sure if that is still happening, the last time I was there was two years ago, and the traffic between GC and Brissy was slow or standing still.

20 hours ago, Cereal said:

With his injuries and the fact he's died twice, he'd be better off staying that way it's sad to say. A short emotionally a tragic moment for the family or the same lasting years till it's over. 

Harsh, but ultimately, probably right.

at $20,000 a day medical bills, their target of $300,000 wont be enough, he could be in a thai hospital for months before he is fit to be moved then the medivac bill on top, and obviously the bike shop will want the bike replaced.

Edited by brianj1964

12 hours ago, cat handler said:

I feel safer on main roads, side streets they come flying out of side roads without looking but on main roads you can open it up and sit with the flow, I like to sit behind a car doing the speed I like and just follow them.

One reason they come flying out of side roads is that very few intersections have stop signs or yield signs. Although there is a stop sign, that doesn't mean a driver will stop but it will provide a policeman an nice place to earn lunch money.

24 minutes ago, brianj1964 said:

at $20,000 a day medical bills, their target of $300,000 wont be enough, he could be in a thai hospital for months before he is fit to be moved then the medivac bill on top, and obviously the bike shop will want the bike replaced.

They should transfer him to the government hospital in Nathon, a fraction of the cost there. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, transam said:

A "moped" has pedals for a bit of man power....:stoner:

It's irritating from country to country. But the word moped comes from motor and pedals. In some European countries, a moped is considered up to 50 cc, in America it's up to 100 cc.

It's like the different shoe sizes all around the world.

Edited by jenny2017

14 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

They should transfer him to the government hospital in Nathon, a fraction of the cost there. 

What would happen if they switch the machines off that keep him alive?

With an at four places broken spine and all rips broken, plus punctured lungs, how could they even think about transporting him?