Australian man critical after hit and run in Samui, family told no license invalidates insurance

rooster59

1 hour ago, jenny2017 said:

What would happen if they switch the machines off that keep him alive?

With an at four places broken spine and all rips broken, plus punctured lungs, how could they even think about transporting him? 

Acc. to updates on their gofundme he is doing rather well. No need to switch machines off. At least acç. to when I read an update.

1 hour ago, jenny2017 said:

It's irritating from country to country. But the word moped comes from motor and pedals. In some European countries, a moped is considered up to 50 cc, in America it's up to 100 cc.

It's like the different shoe sizes all around the world.

Yep, it is Mo=Motor and Ped=Pedals....=Moped....CC is just another thing, but pedals are on a moped, even if the USA uses feet on the blacktop to help it along...laugh.gif.1b0f8ee71beb9edb3d41a444c666a2f1.gif

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, mok199 said:

the lawless roads of Thailand, the real ''thai lottery''..sadly this man lost..

You can't blame the "lawless roads" in this case. He headed for a concrete wall all on his own early morning. So it says at the beginning. Nobody else involved. Just him.

12 hours ago, transam said:

A "moped" has pedals for a bit of man power....:stoner:

That used to be my understanding but it seems there are different definitions particularly by Gov Departments

I remember many years ago a neighbour in Aus refering  to my 175cc Lambretta as a moped

5 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

What would happen if they switch the machines off that keep him alive?

With an at four places broken spine and all rips broken, plus punctured lungs, how could they even think about transporting him? 

I agree. Seems like it would not be possible to safely move a patient in that condition.

On 4/3/2018 at 5:21 PM, transam said:

Yep, it is Mo=Motor and Ped=Pedals....=Moped....CC is just another thing, but pedals are on a moped, even if the USA uses feet on the blacktop to help it along...

And the Yankees call it a Moped up to 100 cc. Have you seen a 100 cc Moped with pedals yet? :omfg:

7 minutes ago, elektrified said:

I agree. Seems like it would not be possible to safely move a patient in that condition.

There's a much more important question. Wouldn't he immediately die if they switch life support off? I mean he died thrice already.

Do machines keep him alive? I've seen many people who were kept alive that others could see them to say goodbye. 

I'm afraid that nobody, not even the best doctors could make a positive prognosis.  

Edited by jenny2017

47 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

There's a much more important question. Wouldn't he immediately die if they switch life support off? I mean he died thrice already.

Do machines keep him alive? I've seen many people who were kept alive that others could see them to say goodbye. 

I'm afraid that nobody, not even the best doctors could make a positive prognosis.  

https://www.gofundme.com/harrybuster

Not dying just yet.

41 minutes ago, Letseng said:

It's not Harry, it's Benjamin. And Benjamin had less luck, even when he didn't lose a leg. I'm afraid that you've got the wrong thread. But there are too many of them these days. Please see: 

"The family have now set up a Go Fund Me page to raise the funds needed to get Benjamin transferred to a hospital in Perth." ( First page)

Here's a great update  ( from his GFM) He had been coming off medication slowly last night to test his response times and reactions. By 8pm last night when we were here he was choking a little on his air ventilator. Probably starting to feel it in his throat. This morning the ward doctor said he'd struggled a little so they cleared his lungs of fluid and he settled down. He was also then breathing for himself later without the machine. It was there only for back up. Neurologist said he was making headway with all the machine graphs reading good. He pinched his hands and feet and responses were impressive. Legs lifted at the knees/shoulders and arms moved. He still wants another operation to move the air support tubes directly to his throat so the nurses can then start to clear and clean his mouth. He moves often now in bed which is encouraging to see. His eye bruising is clearing slowly too. More tmmrw.

Edited by jenny2017

12 minutes ago, khunPer said:

But do they have a brain scanner..?

I'd imagine that a "brain scanner" is not needed considering his poor condition.

He could die in a second. BTW, he died three times already, no idea how long. 

On 4/1/2018 at 8:18 AM, pedro01 said:

People have been saying that on this forum since it started.

Yet Thailand has more tourists every year.

Grumpy expats might not like it - but Thailand is booming. The tourism trade is booming. 

Whatever the authorities are doing - might make it less fun for aging sexpats but it's still working to bring in more tourists.

The main tourists are tight-arsed Chinese, Koreans and Russians generally. If you think that is 'working' you are delusional.

10 hours ago, Letseng said:

You can't blame the "lawless roads" in this case. He headed for a concrete wall all on his own early morning. So it says at the beginning. Nobody else involved. Just him.

lawlessness is not always the other guy,sadly in this case he was the law breaker.....have a safe songkran sir

On 3/31/2018 at 2:58 PM, totally thaied up said:

I had a friends colon polyp burst, and it cost him. 380,000 for three days in ICU. Nothing major like this accident.

Prostate (MR Fusion) biopsy, day surgery, Bumrungrad about THB 150,000. And still pissing blood nearly 2 weeks after.

23 hours ago, RigPig said:

Not strictly true a TRUE moped has pedals and was a glorified push-bike with a small motor to aid you up hill.  The things most common in use in Thailand are scooters and are often greater than 125cc, and with modern technology can reach speeds of 100Kmh easily.  When I got my first bike license I had to take the test on a bike under 250cc and hold that "provisional" license for a year (on a bike with provisional registration) and then go for another test in order to ride a bigger bike.  People just come here and cannot do these things in their own countries but see it everyday here, assume it is OK and normal (and accepted).  Let's face it Thais do it all the time illegal or not.  AND DON'T CARE...

So I guess the question is "Why do you wear a helmet?"  Is it to avoid the fine or to protect your "nogin"?

ALL my helmets come from the States and are DOT compliant.  Thailand does have a standards system but... I am not sure I trust it.

At a $100 each (plus P&H) I figure it's cheap insurance...

I think t is something like 70% of major injuries or deaths are head related on motorbikes, up to you!!!

And don't get me wrong I have and love riding without a helmet, an open road at 80 MPH without a helmet and still accelerating...  BUZZ... (eyes water too much to read the speedo after that haha)

Not strictly true thais dont think as thinking too much gives head ache !! too much thinking for thais is bad for you !! confused you will be in thailand !! ever seen the t shirts with same same but different on them ? now you know ......

On 31/03/2018 at 12:46 PM, maxcorrigan said:

Yes another tragic story, seems to me he would be better of dead, but then i am no expert, and it's easy to talk when you have no connections to this unfortunate soul.

Straight talk on a tragic subject.

6 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

I have been stopped numerous occasions, produced this document along with my Florida license and I have never been forced to pay a fine, both in cars and m/c. May or may not be legit but has always worked for me.

http://www.international-drivers-license.org/un-convention/

I would be surprised if they could read it let alone understand.

• Like 1

On 04/04/2018 at 5:56 AM, JAZZDOG said:

I have been stopped numerous occasions, produced this document along with my Florida license and I have never been forced to pay a fine, both in cars and m/c. May or may not be legit but has always worked for me.

http://www.international-drivers-license.org/un-convention/

I'll go for basically not worth the plastic it's made of. Does it have vehicles allowed to drive on the back of it?

In any case after you have been here for more than 90 days you should have a Thai licence.

2 year one easy to get on a tourist visa.

Update 10
Posted by Kyle Malkus

With his heart still beating and his body still recieving oxygen the fight is still on. We are still hoping for a miracle, regardless of the extent of his injuries and the complications which are continuing to arise. Please keep your thoughts and prayers with Benjamin. It's not over until it's over . Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for the love, support and positivity. Tomorrow is a new day. Be patient , be hopeful and be positive.

Latest update.

https://www.gofundme.com/benfrench

15 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Only machines keep him alive, daddy is on his way back from Thailand. Let's hope that some people will hear of Ben's tragic story and wear a helmet, buy an insurance and be careful.  Sad news and a sad end. 

A song for Ben

Edited by jenny2017

Not being nasty but if say they hadn't moved him to Perth Australia and he stayed in a coma in a Thai hospital for months but with no or little hope for recovery, is it legally ok to turn off his life support machine?

Can you tutn off a life support machine in Thailand if all hope has failed?

Edited by tukkytuktuk

24 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Not being nasty but if say they hadn't moved him to Perth Australia and he stayed in a coma in a Thai hospital for months but with no or little hope for recovery, is it legally ok to turn off his life support machine?

Can you tutn off a life support machine in Thailand if all hope has failed?

An English guy who needed an operation had the bad luck that the doctors didn't listen to his gf that his liver was in a very bad shape. He didn't survive the needed operation and fell into a coma after an anaphylactic shock. He was braindead, his gf had no access to his ATM card. but she's there for him every day until they switched the machines off.

That went on for at least 10 weeks where only machines kept him alive.

I've also seen many Thais in similar situations, but they switched the machines off after all relatives had seen them.

It doesn't make sense to keep people artificially alive when they're braindead. Of course is it hard to give the order to switch the machines off, but it's, in my opinion, the best thing to do for a family member or a friend. 

Edited by jenny2017

On 4/1/2018 at 12:31 PM, Old Croc said:

Many of us living in Thailand have little interest in donating to Gofund me pages when yet another tourist comes to grief in a manner that voids insurance.

However, this guy seems to be a member of the Fremantle Butterfly people whom I'm sure will forgive the way he injured himself and donate in droves. They will have many fundraising events such as folk music concerts, vegan food stalls, street theatre, juggling and stilt walking. 

They will look after their own, albeit 2 or 3 dollars at a time.

I agree. 

Edited by sgoodes

Very sad. The gent seemed to be a genuine free spirit. From the link above per the deceased's sister:

"I have since been told that a lady witnessed it and he misjudged a corner and crashed into a concrete barrier at full pelt with no helmet."

So he was traveling at an excessively high speed to have incurred such eventually fatal injuries and he was likely (per Thai TV reports) intoxicated at 4 AM with no helmet. As has been called in other a contexts: A Perfect Storm.

Edited by JLCrab